Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Synthetic oil: how long do you go between changes? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/273393-synthetic-oil-how-long-do-you-go-between-changes.html)

Samm25 05-29-2019 11:50 AM

Synthetic oil: how long do you go between changes?

Just converted my 2008 4Runner V6 to 5w-30 full synthetic at 85k miles. Currently at 89,600 and I’m curious how long do you go between synthetic oil changes? I used to change it every 5k with conventional

doofenshmirtz 05-29-2019 12:06 PM

I've been doing about 7500 miles or 8 months. Just changed mine at 172,000, and I've been doing the 7500 interval since about 148,000.

That being said, my understanding is that sending off an oil sample is the smartest way to find out. Run 5,000 miles, send a sample. If it turns out good, go 6,000, repeat until you feel the peace of mind is more valuable than the extra miles on your oil change interval.

All things considered, I get napa/valvoline 5w-30 for like $8.00 a quart, plus a filter for $8-14. For $60 doing it myself, I don't see the reward in trying to push any further than I'm doing currently. 3 oil changes every 2 years.

The Yin 05-29-2019 12:40 PM

about every 6 months, maybe 5k to 6k miles

I've been using the 'Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage' the last year or 2. It runs about 25$ at Walmart for 5 qt.
I try to change every 6 months anyway, but sometimes that could be over 6k miles if I've been driving more. I figure why not pay the few bucks more for an oil that say it's good for 15k. If for some reason I end up going 8 or 9k without changing, I don't have to worry to much.

Toyojay 05-29-2019 12:52 PM

Mobil 1 5W30 every 5,000 miles since brand new. 118k on it now 2009 V6

Trumpet 05-29-2019 12:53 PM

Mobil 1 5w30 5 quart jug from walmart and a Toyota filter every 5000 miles, if I go a little over I don't sweat it.

4runner burns no oil between changes. I'm happy.:hippie:

PBCRM98 05-29-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yin (Post 3296420)
I've been using the 'Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage' the last year or 2. It runs about 25$ at Walmart for 5 qt.
I try to change every 6 months anyway, but sometimes that could be over 6k miles if I've been driving more. I figure why not pay the few bucks more for an oil that say it's good for 15k. If for some reason I end up going 8 or 9k without changing, I don't have to worry to much.

Does the Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage actually help? I was reading on this forum that the high mileage stuff doesn't actually make a difference and don't waste your money. I went to Walmart this past weekend and saw that its basically the same price as the regular Mobil 1 full synthetic blend so I'm considering giving it a try on my next change.

The Yin 05-29-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBCRM98 (Post 3296433)
Does the Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage actually help? I was reading on this forum that the high mileage stuff doesn't actually make a difference and don't waste your money. I went to Walmart this past weekend and saw that its basically the same price as the regular Mobil 1 full synthetic blend so I'm considering giving it a try on my next change.

I've never noticed any performance change. And I haven't had any testing done on the oil. So I couldn't say if it's worth it. But as you mentioned, the high millage is the same cost, and the Extended performance is only 3 bucks more (online at least) for the 5 qt. So $6 a year isn't gona bother me to much. I've got just over 130k miles, so if the 6 bucks helps get me smoothly to 260k, I'm cool with that.

rdruss 05-29-2019 01:58 PM

Never more than 5K, but it takes me 5-6 mos. to get there.
I use 5W30 Valvoline semi-syn and high mileage full syn blended together 50/50 and Toyota filter.
Mines a V8.

Berty_K 05-29-2019 01:59 PM

Every 5k. I stack the Costco discount with the Mobil1 rebate to buy 6 quarts for $20.

Cheap insurance for a car I'm keeping for life.

MDurbs68 05-29-2019 02:05 PM

Valvoline full syn with Toyota filter every 5,000-6,000 miles.

Seymore Butts 05-29-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yin (Post 3296467)
I've never noticed any performance change. And I haven't had any testing done on the oil. So I couldn't say if it's worth it.

High mileage oil is not intended to improve performance. For me, the important part of the additives in high mileage oil is the gasket conditioner. The intent is to keep seepage and leaks from happening as our aging gaskets dry out, shrivel, and harden.

Does it work? I don't know for sure. My last two vehicles had 167K and 225K respectively, and there was never a single drop of oil seeping outside the engine. My current 4R is also squeaky clean under the hood. Whether this was due to the gasket conditioner or simply good gasket material is impossible to say for sure, but I like the peace of mind I get from high mileage oil.

kingofthehill 05-29-2019 02:45 PM

I do 10,000 mile OCI with mobil one EP synthetic. I also use their filter. I send samples to blackstone and my oil reports show that I have more life left still. Oil has gotten a lot better and you can go longer when taking the proper precautions like using a quality filter that will last as long, testing your oil, and using a high quality oil.

hinmo24t 05-29-2019 03:12 PM

synthetic oil every 5k or so for me. im friends with some guys at the local midas and they have the synthetic oil/filter/fluid top off for $54...

i have my own garage and have done oil changes in the past but use the logic that for not going out to buy oil, no labor/cleanup/disposal...ill pay the $10 - $20 over cost of buying supplies for DIY.

ac1617 05-29-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doofenshmirtz (Post 3296397)
That being said, my understanding is that sending off an oil sample is the smartest way to find out. Run 5,000 miles, send a sample. If it turns out good, go 6,000, repeat until you feel the peace of mind is more valuable than the extra miles on your oil change interval.

^This. There are so many factors to oil life that there is no rule of thumb as to how long you can extend an oil drain interval past the manufacture's recommendation. Either get oil analysis done using your preferred synthetic oil to determine an acceptable drain interval, or stick with what Toyota recommends.

I personally rotate between Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 (can be had for about $18 Canadian for a 5L jug after rebates) in the summer, and Mobil 1 0W-30 in the winter (0W allows the best cold flow and pumpability for winter while maintaining the 30 viscosity when the engine warms up). I don't extend the drain intervals, just stick with what Toyota recommends. The use of synthetic is just for peace of mind and better cold flow during winters.

derekdevasia 05-29-2019 04:08 PM

I go 12,000-15,000 miles every oil change. I'm doing almost 95 percent highway commuting, never had an issue. Been doing this with Mobil 1 synthetic, and the OEM filter for nearly 150,000 miles. Just replaced my valve cover gaskets two weeks ago, and everything is sludge free and clean.

The engine is getting ready to push to 250,000 in the next week or so. Classic v8's. Girlfriend's 97 4runner gets Mobil 1 synthetics every 10k, and she's pushing 330,000.