Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   How the 2019 Toyota 4Runner Defies Rationality (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/273411-how-2019-toyota-4runner-defies-rationality.html)

hikenbike 05-29-2019 07:00 PM

How the 2019 Toyota 4Runner Defies Rationality

2019 Toyota 4Runner Review - 4Runner vs. Crossover

mrblah 05-29-2019 09:04 PM

when someone asks me, which is better highlander or 4runner? I always respond with a question. "Which vehicle would a mangina drive?" Then I follow up with, "do you have a mangina?"

Works every time.

MtBuck 05-29-2019 09:32 PM

No new thoughts in that piece. I guess the next gen 4runner will face much of the same arguments, less they make it into a crossover (which I don't think they will).:argue:

tcbaklash 05-29-2019 09:38 PM

The author has a point. 5 gears means a whole lotta gas money down the drain.

Jernik 05-29-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcbaklash (Post 3296843)
The author has a point. 5 gears means a whole lotta gas money down the drain.

I don't think 20 gears between the 4.0 and driveshaft would make much difference in fuel economy on the 4R.

On to the article in the OP;

Personally, I find articles like this tiresome. I get it, the author doesn't like trucks. I don't like the Prius myself, but you don't see me writing articles whining and bemoaning every aspect of it that doesn't make it more truck-like.

tcbaklash 05-30-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jernik (Post 3296877)
I don't think 20 gears between the 4.0 and driveshaft would make much difference in fuel economy on the 4R.

With more of the right gear ratios it will sure make the engine work a lot less hard, even if it is outdated. Most manufacturers are moving to 6-10 speed transmissions unless they're using CVTs. There's a reason for it. Check out full-size pickup fuel economy over the years, it's better than ever right now.

thennen 05-30-2019 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcbaklash (Post 3296918)
With more of the right gear ratios it will sure make the engine work a lot less hard, even if it is outdated. Most manufacturers are moving to 6-10 speed transmissions unless they're using CVTs. There's a reason for it. Check out full-size pickup fuel economy over the years, it's better than ever right now.

As I understand it, many of the transmissions with 8-10 gears have been experiencing troubles. I believe there's also a good bit of gear-hunting in some of them.

mnofpeace 05-30-2019 06:28 AM

What i am tired of are 'car' guys telling everybody how the 4Runner isnt one. crossovers are cars, period. and Car reviewers like them because of it. we get it. so why do they keep comparing the 4Runner to cars, when they arent cars. T4R vs Subaru, T4R vs Highlander, T4R vs xovers.

Adding to it, isnt that why they added the category 'xover'? Doesnt this differentiate between one truck-wanna be vs something like the 4Runner and its only real competitor the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited? Even Jeep's marketing has jumped on this in its latest commercials '...when the word SUV meant something'. you dont see anyone comparing a mustang and a Jeep Wrangler. Im sorry, but who is taking a Kia Telluride off into a muddy field so it can spin its performance street tires all over the place, waiting to get stuck in half an inch of mud? when we can just take a T4R, put it in 4Low (maybe) and slowly pull away giggling.

the Jeep Unlimited and 4Runner are niche vehicles. They are designed and meant to do a specific thing, drive on the road, but be exceptionally capable in REAL offroad environments, not just drive on flat dirty roads. Yet you dont see them reviewing the jeep saying how its such a shame its not a car-like truck-looking POS. It would be nice if auto reviewers would just accept that and stop saying the same things about how the 4Runner aint a Merc S550. We dont see reviewers starting off articles saying "the BMW 425i cant drive off road in deep snow or mud, so whats it good for" or "its such a let down that the S550 isnt set up to tow a boat"

YouTube
this guy seems to understand that going in. sure, its not a car, but you arent looking at a 4Runner because its a car. You are looking at it for what it is...because if you WANTED a car, you would be LOOKING for a car.

Tidepride 05-30-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnofpeace (Post 3296992)
What i am tired of are 'car' guys telling everybody how the 4Runner isnt one. crossovers are cars, period. and Car reviewers like them because of it. we get it. so why do they keep comparing the 4Runner to cars, when they arent cars. T4R vs Subaru, T4R vs Highlander, T4R vs xovers.

Adding to it, isnt that why they added the category 'xover'? Doesnt this differentiate between one truck-wanna be vs something like the 4Runner and its only real competitor the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited? Even Jeep's marketing has jumped on this in its latest commercials '...when the word SUV meant something'. you dont see anyone comparing a mustang and a Jeep Wrangler. Im sorry, but who is taking a Kia Telluride off into a muddy field so it can spin its performance street tires all over the place, waiting to get stuck in half an inch of mud? when we can just take a T4R, put it in 4Low (maybe) and slowly pull away giggling.

the Jeep Unlimited and 4Runner are niche vehicles. They are designed and meant to do a specific thing, drive on the road, but be exceptionally capable in REAL offroad environments, not just drive on flat dirty roads. Yet you dont see them reviewing the jeep saying how its such a shame its not a car-like truck-looking POS. It would be nice if auto reviewers would just accept that and stop saying the same things about how the 4Runner aint a Merc S550. We dont see reviewers starting off articles saying "the BMW 425i cant drive off road in deep snow or mud, so whats it good for" or "its such a let down that the S550 isnt set up to tow a boat"

YouTube
this guy seems to understand that going in. sure, its not a car, but you arent looking at a 4Runner because its a car. You are looking at it for what it is...because if you WANTED a car, you would be LOOKING for a car.

I really don't understand why these writers waste their time, and ours, with this kind of review. I think that most 4Runner buyers know exactly what they are buying. If they wanted a more car like drive, they could certainly find plenty of them for the same price or less than a 4 Runner. I am perfectly comfortable in my 4 Runner on or off road. Sure it has a different feel and a different ride, gets less MPG than my wife's Highlander, but come deer season, that Highlander will not go to the places my 4 Runner will. In that instance, I ask, which is the better ride, a Highlander (or most crossovers) that won't take you where you want to go or the old dinosaur 4Runner?

hikenbike 05-30-2019 12:41 PM

Wow. Can't believe how many here are butt hurt by the writer. His audience is not existing 4rnr owners or buyers but instead those that just don't know about it. And he's not comparing either. He's simply writing an article about what is truly a unique, some-may-say alluring old-school vehicle to draw readers.

-E5J- 05-30-2019 02:31 PM

Kind of agree... The article was funny and tongue in cheek... "look at the big knobs... climate control..." YES! ...AND I LOVE IT. And, so do you, because you bought one (again) too. Love these trucks...

VUI Guy 05-30-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidepride (Post 3297138)
I really don't understand why these writers waste their time, and ours, with this kind of review. I think that most 4Runner buyers know exactly what they are buying. If they wanted a more car like drive, they could certainly find plenty of them for the same price or less than a 4 Runner. I am perfectly comfortable in my 4 Runner on or off road. Sure it has a different feel and a different ride, gets less MPG than my wife's Highlander, but come deer season, that Highlander will not go to the places my 4 Runner will. In that instance, I ask, which is the better ride, a Highlander (or most crossovers) that won't take you where you want to go or the old dinosaur 4Runner?

You only have to be inches from falling off a cliff in the mountains of NC to realize a Honda Pilot is NOT a 4Runner. Sold the mom car and bought my 4Runner two days later. Never looked back. Everything I need and more.

My ex-wife has a Subaru and it's pretty good. But it will not go where the 4Runner can go. Probably good 95% of the time for most folks but I'm into 100% anywhere and anytime. Kind of like the girl you always wanted to marry.

thennen 05-30-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikenbike (Post 3297239)
Wow. Can't believe how many here are butt hurt by the writer. His audience is not existing 4rnr owners or buyers but instead those that just don't know about it. And he's not comparing either. He's simply writing an article about what is truly a unique, some-may-say alluring old-school vehicle to draw readers.

Agreed. I might read such an article if I was curious as to what the writer is saying, but not to gather info. I already know what I need to know about the differences between the vehicles. The simple fact that it's a comparison between a crossover and a 4Runner already tells me it's apples and oranges. As hikenbike said, that type of article is written for those who don't know, not for us who do.

GripT4R 05-30-2019 03:35 PM

I've owned a lot of vehicles, and am a member on many automotive forums for those vehicles.

In the past few days since I have registered I have posted a little, and read a ton.

What I have learned is that 4Runner owners are exactly like Subaru owners.

CO-Cygnus 05-30-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3297364)
What I have learned is that 4Runner owners are exactly like Subaru owners.

Some of us are both...