Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   3rd Gen T4R Longevity is UNREAL!!!! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/273596-3rd-gen-t4r-longevity-unreal.html)

BamaDrewski 06-02-2019 05:58 PM

3rd Gen T4R Longevity is UNREAL!!!!

Just turned 317K miles on my 2000 T4R (Originals transmission, original engine, original CV’s, etc., etc….) and every single time I drive it, I LOVE it! This is the best vehicle I have ever owned and now on the hunt for a second one as a spare/project/hobby.

I am noticing our third gens are getting harder and harder to find. They stay on the road so long, few people get rid of them……..

Of course if you live in a rust/salt area, they fail on the frame. Living in Alabama, this is not an issue. I am OCD about my rig and spend a great deal of “hobby time” keeping her updated and satisfied. Overall though, when I see folks with Chevy’s (And not just Chevy’s….) that crap out (on multiple fronts) after 100K, I just smile to myself.; our 3rd generation 4Runners are INCREDIBLE!!!

Boneyard 06-02-2019 06:12 PM

My son recently got a 2000 that is super clean, 148k miles, just a great rig. We have an elderly neighbor couple that has one that looks exactly the same except hers is a 4x4. The old lady was out walking yesterday evening and we got to chatting about them. She was saying how much she loves hers but she is going to have to sell it because the DMV isn't going to renew her license and her husband's bad back doesn't allow him to climb into it. It has 93k miles on it, always dealer serviced and receipts for everything. We made a deal on the spot, I'll be at my bank tomorrow to get the cash. I'm currently driving a 2015 Tacoma that I will sell and make the 4Runner my daily driver.

BamaDrewski 06-02-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boneyard (Post 3298893)
My son recently got a 2000 that is super clean, 148k miles, just a great rig. We have an elderly neighbor couple that has one that looks exactly the same except hers is a 4x4. The old lady was out walking yesterday evening and we got to chatting about them. She was saying how much she loves hers but she is going to have to sell it because the DMV isn't going to renew her license and her husband's bad back doesn't allow him to climb into it. It has 93k miles on it, always dealer serviced and receipts for everything. We made a deal on the spot, I'll be at my bank tomorrow to get the cash. I'm currently driving a 2015 Tacoma that I will sell and make the 4Runner my daily driver.

WOW! Talk about being in "the right place at the right time!" (You lucky dog!!!! LOL)

thennen 06-02-2019 06:30 PM

Yeah, my 2001 that just died of rust still had almost all its original parts. I mean CV joints, ball joints, starter, power steering pump, fuel pump, every single bearing, all original. Can't think of everything. I replaced the radiator once on a preventive basis to avoid the dreaded pink milkshake, the timing belt once, the alternator because I couldn't purchase just brushes, diff oil a couple times, and I think that's it. Insanely durable - still had the ORIGINAL transmission fluid and front diff fluid. And purred like a kitten yesterday when I traded it. Rust is disheartening. You keep using OEM parts and good, fresh oil, and no telling how long she'll last.

thennen 06-02-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

You make sure that you treat that old lady properly. Don't take advantage of her! You got yourself an almost new vehicle there. Congrats, be the good guy, and take care!

eddielasvegas 06-02-2019 10:32 PM

Congrats. Deets and pix please.

Eddie

P.S. I'd buy a couple lottery tickets if I were you cuz you just hit the T4R lottery and you might just be on a lucky streak. :D

Quote:

...We have an elderly neighbor couple that has one that looks exactly the same except hers is a 4x4. The old lady was out walking yesterday evening and we got to chatting about them. She was saying how much she loves hers but she is going to have to sell it because the DMV isn't going to renew her license and her husband's bad back doesn't allow him to climb into it. It has 93k miles on it, always dealer serviced and receipts for everything. We made a deal on the spot, I'll be at my bank tomorrow to get the cash. I'm currently driving a 2015 Tacoma that I will sell and make the 4Runner my daily driver.

Avalanche666 06-03-2019 12:49 AM

big congrats. I look forward to keeping mine forevaz

DiracSea 06-03-2019 12:50 AM

I dream of having been old enough to buy a 4runner new in 2002 and taking care of it myself out of the rust belt. Would likely have owned it forever and it would be in immaculate condition.

But that's not my reality. I am very happy with my 98 4runner sr5 as the 6th owner in the rust belt. Wish it had been better taken care of, but mine will also last me a good amount of time but I will be replacing ball joints, cv axle and perhaps even the rack and pinion and definitely removing rust on the frame. I'm shooting for 400k miles out of mine (currently at 182k), but would love for it to keep going.

I honestly might do a total restoration + offroad build in the future like Joe Rogan did here because this car has sentimental value to me:

YouTube

Mr. Goodkat 06-03-2019 11:38 AM

I would usually have a hard time buying a vehicle over 100k but the Gen 3 T4R might be the only vehicle along with Landcruiser that I would consider buying over 200k. It really does seem to be nothing for them.

stecow 06-03-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaDrewski (Post 3298886)
our 3rd generation 4Runners are INCREDIBLE!!!

Truth. I just bought mine back in September with 193k miles and the lady I bought it from didn't take the best care of the Runner. I've been slowly nursing it back to health as it's been in my possession. A little tune up and some basic car care goes a long way in reviving a 4Runner.

I just drove from Salt Lake City to Skagway, Alaska and ferried down to Juneau, no problem during the 2,551 mile journey. The only thing though is I think my clutch is starting to go out now

Treyall 06-03-2019 03:30 PM

They have a lot of forged parts in the motor! Get the top of the line automatic!
Mine had 350k and carried 1000lbs in it it’s whole life!
3rd gens are bulletproof

Quantumkiwi 06-03-2019 04:02 PM

Honestly, its not just 4runners.
I've had great experiences will all NA 90's toyotas.
I currently also have a 96 Avalon with over 250k miles, and it runs wonderfully.

plcfcng 06-03-2019 11:32 PM

Currently working on a 1997 for my sister inlaw 185,000 blown head gasket almost done with it serviced from front to back with a little body work replacing the bumpers reshaping the hood and a fender. All the coolant hoses replaced including the second heater core. This one will be the 4th 3rd gen rebuild I've done in the last 12 months. Not including the head gaskets I did on my daughters 2004 4.0 V6 that engine was a major pain. :rockon:

Smog-guy707 06-04-2019 12:06 AM

330k here supercharged. All the maintenance is up to date. And it runs purrrrrrrfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scramble 06-04-2019 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Goodkat (Post 3299212)
I would usually have a hard time buying a vehicle over 100k but the Gen 3 T4R might be the only vehicle along with Landcruiser that I would consider buying over 200k. It really does seem to be nothing for them.

I bought my 2nd 4Runner with 217K & wasn't even worried as it was a one owner dealer serviced vehicle. Been DD it for a year & a half putting 16K on her with no issues except a loose spark plug. No fault of the truck!