Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Alternative to Airbags within springs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/273674-alternative-airbags-within-springs.html)

psea17 06-04-2019 05:12 PM

Alternative to Airbags within springs

Bought the airlift 1000 airbags that fit in the springs. From reading posts, they appear to limit axle travel. Are there other airbags that don't limit axle travel? Maybe a kit tgat allows someone to install them not inside the springs?

Thanks,

JZiggy 06-04-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psea17 (Post 3300167)
Bought the airlift 1000 airbags that fit in the springs. From reading posts, they appear to limit axle travel. Are there other airbags that don't limit axle travel? Maybe a kit tgat allows someone to install them not inside the springs?

Thanks,

When you say axle travel, do you mean articulation of the rear axle? If so I haven't found that to be the case...

psea17 06-04-2019 06:00 PM

Yes. Axle articulation. Did you install your bags with the air hose on top? Any issues with them? Looks like you've had them about 2yrs.

Much appreciated.

JZiggy 06-04-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psea17 (Post 3300210)
Yes. Axle articulation. Did you install your bags with the air hose on top? Any issues with them? Looks like you've had them about 2yrs.

Much appreciated.

Poser shot flexing the rear. The other side is stuffed.

https://i.imgur.com/7RuTdyP.jpg

Air hose is installed going through the bottom, center hold of the spring mount.

No issues. The ride great. It makes a difference pumping them up when loaded.

Other options are overload bumps like Timbrens that are more like springs then bumpstops.

psea17 06-04-2019 08:16 PM

Ok, I'm sold. Will install as recommended. Thanks for the feedback.

shadow247 06-04-2019 10:17 PM

No issues with travel at all. I've had mine for 5 years on my 99 that's had 40k miles of FUN since I bought it.

3bears 06-05-2019 11:33 AM

I recently installed my 2nd set (friends 4runner) and have been very happy with mine, and now so is my friend. I have had no issues, just moved to Alaska and this thing was loaded including the loaded full length roof rack.
Only issue I had with mine was the cheap plastic "T", broke on install on mine so had to make up something else work. My friend ordered the metal "T". It was so slick, I ordered one for mine and replaced before the trip.

Installed mine with hose out bottom.
And make sure you stay clear of exhaust....learned that one :(

JZiggy 06-05-2019 11:36 AM

Also, it's best to plumb the two bags separately. Otherwise, if they are connected, they'll work like a reverse anti-sway bar (increasing body roll).

3bears 06-05-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZiggy (Post 3300554)
Also, it's best to plumb the two bags separately. Otherwise, if they are connected, they'll work like a reverse anti-sway bar (increasing body roll).

really ? not doubting you, just had not noticed an increase in body roll myself, but then again I run real low pressure when not needed. I also heard from others NOT to plumb connected as a person can then compensate for the extra weight on the drivers side putting more air into the drivers side. so could be good reason to run NOT connected.

I had issues many years back with a unit set up independently ( not in a 4 runner, firestone air bags on a cheby truck) where one side blew out and then the truck took on a serious dangerous lean in a corner fully loaded with lumber. With hem connected, if one side goes out, they both will loose air and not have one side at 30 pounds and the other at zero

regardless, I plumbed connected.

JZiggy 06-05-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3300557)
really ? not doubting you, just had not noticed an increase in body roll myself, but then again I run real low pressure when not needed. I also heard from others NOT to plumb connected as a person can then compensate for the extra weight on the drivers side putting more air into the drivers side. so could be good reason to run NOT connected.

I had issues many years back with a unit set up independently ( not in a 4 runner, firestone air bags on a cheby truck) where one side blew out and then the truck took on a serious dangerous lean in a corner fully loaded with lumber. With hem connected, if one side goes out, they both will loose air and not have one side at 30 pounds and the other at zero

regardless, I plumbed connected.

I don't have much personal experience with running the two sides connected. If you've done so and it's been fine then that's good evidence that it may not be a big deal.

I imagine a lot has to do with the size of the lines connecting the two sides and the rate of airflow. In a dynamic situation like a swerve on the highway the two sides may be effectively independent. But if the truck leans and it has a few seconds to equilibrate the roll effect may happen. I dunno.

I actually connected mine with an on/off valve so that I can run either way. It's nice to be able to fill them in one go.

psea17 06-05-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZiggy (Post 3300268)
Poser shot flexing the rear. The other side is stuffed.

https://i.imgur.com/7RuTdyP.jpg

Air hose is installed going through the bottom, center hold of the spring mount.

No issues. The ride great. It makes a difference pumping them up when loaded.

Other options are overload bumps like Timbrens that are more like springs then bumpstops.

Just installed the airlift bags. Dropped it back down on the wheels and the axle is pushing against the airbag. Not good. Is yours like this?

If not, do I get new shocks first and then consider new springs after? What would people recommend?

Truck has 228k on the springs, but the airbags should help them. Don't want rake.

If shocks what would you recommend?

J.A. 06-05-2019 02:26 PM

Give yourself the option to run the bags either way...connected or independent.
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/2007/airlift.html

JZiggy 06-05-2019 02:54 PM

Did you cut the bumpstop at the top of the spring down to make room for the bag?

psea17 06-05-2019 06:35 PM

Yes sir! Followed directions closely. Only the top section of each remain.

JZiggy 06-05-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psea17 (Post 3300846)
Yes sir! Followed directions closely. Only the top section of each remain.

Can you take a picture?

Mine's like this level with minimum 5psi in the bag

https://i.imgur.com/G2kgnlM.jpg