Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Do any modern aftermarket head units maintain steering wheel controls? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/273709-do-any-modern-aftermarket-head-units-maintain-steering-wheel-controls.html)

TerraCrawler 06-05-2019 05:25 PM

Do any modern aftermarket head units maintain steering wheel controls?

There have been many head units posted that have Car Play and features such as being able to see individual tire pressures, and more. Do any of these allow you to continue to use the steering wheel volume and up/down/left/right arrows for cycling through presets and songs, mute, etc?

Whippersnapper02 06-05-2019 05:29 PM

Yes.

KingTaco 06-05-2019 05:40 PM

@TerraCrawler almost all do. Depending on where you buy it, they may charge you $25-$35 extra for a module, but at this point pretty much everything has the capability.

a t l a s 06-05-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerraCrawler (Post 3300820)
There have been many head units posted that have Car Play and features such as being able to see individual tire pressures, and more. Do any of these allow you to continue to use the steering wheel volume and up/down/left/right arrows for cycling through presets and songs, mute, etc?

Yep. The Maestro kit allows you to retain and even reprogram your steering wheel buttons. It will also retain the backup cam. Then there's simple adapters to retain the factory GPS antenna and USB port as well.

ProfessorP 06-05-2019 10:05 PM

The Kenwood Excelon DDX9906XR with wireless CarPlay that I installed two weeks ago retained all steering wheel button function with the iDatalink Maestro. It allowed me to customize the button functions to my liking. I used the Kenwood GPS antenna instead of the factory GPS antenna but I did retain the factory USB port. The only part that couldn’t be retained was the factory mic. Ultimately, without Crutchfield there’s no way I could’ve tackled this project on my own.

Badlizard 09-03-2019 02:27 PM

Slightly dusty thread, so pardon me for bringing it back to the top. But does anyone know if the aftermarket units play nice with the "Party Mode" button? Sound-wise I'm pretty happy with the factory stereo, but really wanting a double-din unit for the sake of a good backup camera.