Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   How can I tell if the dealer changed my oil? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/273794-how-can-i-tell-if-dealer-changed-my-oil.html)

Hans Moleman 06-07-2019 08:03 PM

How can I tell if the dealer changed my oil?

I got the 1 year / 10k service done yesterday that included the oil change even though I only have a little over 5k miles.

But from my observations, I'm unsure if the oil change was actually done:

1) No greasy finger prints or oil residue on the oil cap, oil filter, oil plug, or anywhere on top of the engine.
2) No broken skid plate bolts.
3) The oil does seem clearer and harder to read on the dipstick. I can't remember if it was like this before.
4) The oil level is exactly on the 2nd dot.

From everybody's horror stories about dealer oil changes, I should see some sloppiness that shows that an oil change was done. Is it possible the dealer I went to is this neat at doing oil changes?

YellowSnow 06-07-2019 08:19 PM

Put torque stripe on your drain plug and oil filter housing. If it’s broken, you know you’re good.

MTN4RNR 06-07-2019 08:24 PM

Pull the dipstick... If it's black, take it back.

Even at 5k, your oil will be dark brown/black.

macscac 06-07-2019 09:04 PM

lol.. is this your first car??

what a weird question to ask

andrew4r 06-07-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macscac (Post 3302237)
lol.. is this your first car??

what a weird question to ask

Is this your first time being social?

83Mule 06-07-2019 09:15 PM

The only evidence I have done the oil and filter is the clarity of the dipstick afterward........a good Dealer would make it look the same. If the oil is light or almost clear it was done!

1000MPH 06-07-2019 09:50 PM

Well I thought your post was funny.
Bet the dealer was “In the Big Rock Candy Mountains”.

:music:All the cops have wooden legs
And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
The farmers' trees are full of fruit
And the barns are full of hay
Oh I'm bound to go
Where there ain't no snow
Where the rain don't fall
The wind don't blow
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains:music:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Moleman (Post 3302209)
I got the 1 year / 10k service done yesterday that included the oil change even though I only have a little over 5k miles.

But from my observations, I'm unsure if the oil change was actually done:

1) No greasy finger prints or oil residue on the oil cap, oil filter, oil plug, or anywhere on top of the engine.
2) No broken skid plate bolts.
3) The oil does seem clearer and harder to read on the dipstick. I can't remember if it was like this before.
4) The oil level is exactly on the 2nd dot.

From everybody's horror stories about dealer oil changes, I should see some sloppiness that shows that an oil change was done. Is it possible the dealer I went to is this neat at doing oil changes?

whtout 06-07-2019 09:56 PM

If the cap, filter, dipstick or anything else is dirty or has prints after an oil change, I wouldn't go back. Doesn't mean the job wasn't done, just means they're not paying attention and mistakes are probably common.

With that said, I always look at the filter when I don't change oil myself. If the filter has road grime, the job wasn't done even if they changed the oil.

Axix23 06-07-2019 11:38 PM

Funny thing you should say this.

I just went into the dealership to get my 10k / 1 year service which includes an oil change and tire rotation. I selected the 10k/1 year service online as well when booking the appointment.

Well, 20 minutes later, they pull my car up and said my car was ready. I was like yall did the oil change that fast?!! Service adviser was llike we didn't do an oil change but just the tire rotation.

Wtf! I was like I selected the 10k / 1 year service which is an oil change. They were only going by my mileage on my car which was only 5k. Which makes no sense bc when I booked the apt, I selected what service I wanted. I don't drive alot.

The easiest way to tell if they did an oil change is look at the oil on the dipstick. Brand new oil should be very clear. You can tell the difference between old and new oil.

macscac 06-08-2019 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew4r (Post 3302238)
Is this your first time being social?

Yeah buddy. Sure is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4RunnerAquasport 06-08-2019 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by macscac (Post 3302342)
Yeah buddy. Sure is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might help

71gs3504sp 06-08-2019 07:53 AM

I also got the free maintenance for my 4runner!
I am going skip the free service and still do it myself!
It is hard to trust anyone anymore especially what you read on social media!
Everyone is always trying to sell you more than what you need!

wsgoat 06-08-2019 09:47 AM

Look for stripped skid plate bolts, broken or over-tighened oil canister, oil level too high or low, wrong filter element installed, oil leaks, loose drain plug.....would be a few tel-tales that a dealer has changed your oil.

flea1983 06-08-2019 10:33 AM

I would say if you're going down the highway and the engine locks up, you could be reasonably sure they didn't change it.

jrandom 06-08-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000MPH (Post 3302256)
Well I thought your post was funny.
Bet the dealer was “In the Big Rock Candy Mountains”.

I thought he was joking too. :)

I am sure there are a few dealers out there that actually pride themselves on doing a good job. I haven’t been lucky enough to find one here, so much so, while I can afford to pay for it, I do it all myself, yet again, like I did before I could afford it. It is all turn and burn here.

To date, my experiences with dealer service (parts counters are the exception) have always been disgustingly brown nosey with sub par work. It really does blow to try to work with “service advisors” that deal with so many stupid people that they don’t actually listen to you when you tell them something important.

While I am hoping for a positive experience, I am dreading getting my airbag recall done.