Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Combining King or Icon Coils with Bilstein 5100? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/273937-combining-king-icon-coils-bilstein-5100-a.html)

Ser1clymb 06-11-2019 05:53 PM

Combining King or Icon Coils with Bilstein 5100?

I have been looking for a little bit at upgrading my front suspension and am torn between the Tundra coil/5100, the toytec coilover, and a few others.

I couldn't find any information, and was curious if anyone has used the Tundra 5100 with a King or Icon coil for the front and what their experience was with it. Setup, maintenance, handling, etc.

turbo8 06-11-2019 07:57 PM

Get matching king or icon rear shocks. Problem solved

Ser1clymb 06-12-2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo8 (Post 3304203)
Get matching king or icon rear shocks. Problem solved

I already have extended rear Bilstein and ome 890 in the rear so I am just looking for options for the front

Dezert4Runner 06-12-2019 12:30 AM

5100’s are a 2” shock body and most Icon and King shocks are a 2.5” body, so they use different sized coils. A 2” shock body uses a 2.5” coil, and a 2.5” shock body uses a 3” coil. The Icon and King coils that do fit the smaller 2” shock bodies are different than the ones that for Bilstein 5100’s because they are flat on both ends. The OEM Toyota coils, OME, Toytec Eibach etc have a pigtail on one end, so they are the only type that are compatible with 5100’s.

Ser1clymb 06-12-2019 01:38 PM

Why do the coils have to have the pigtail to be compatible with the 5100? Is it the top hat of the shock or for the clip towards the bottom of the shock body? It doesn't seem like it would matter.

Dezert4Runner 06-12-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ser1clymb (Post 3304540)
Why do the coils have to have the pigtail to be compatible with the 5100? Is it the top hat of the shock or for the clip towards the bottom of the shock body? It doesn't seem like it would matter.

The bottom spring perch on an OEM shock and on 5100’s are set up for the pigtail, and upper top hat is set up for the flat end of that same coil. Aftermarket coilovers like Icon and King have lower and upper spring perches set up for a flat ended coil on both sides.

Ser1clymb 06-13-2019 02:12 PM

Thanks that's helpful. Now I'm considering Eibach coils with Tundra 5100 shocks for the front. Any experience with this setup?

fourfive 06-14-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ser1clymb (Post 3305253)
Thanks that's helpful. Now I'm considering Eibach coils with Tundra 5100 shocks for the front. Any experience with this setup?

Have you considered using the tundra trd coils with the tundra 5100 shocks?

Sonoran Steel has good info on it. I don't have personal experience with that set up but from what I've read that pairing seems to be well liked.
http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.ph...&products_id=1

I do have experience with eibach/5100. Ride quality is very similar to toytec eibach/boss which I've been happy with. I went with toytec boss for ease of adjustability & fine tuning ride height. My experience with the few different set ups I've driven is that as long as your front ride height doesn't exceed 22.5" center hub to fender, the commonly offered coilover pairings for 3rd gens will handle similarly. I haven't tried the higher end stuff like king, icon, etc.

Ser1clymb 06-14-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourfive (Post 3305719)
Have you considered using the tundra trd coils with the tundra 5100 shocks?

Sonoran Steel has good info on it. I don't have personal experience with that set up but from what I've read that pairing seems to be well liked.
1996-2002 - Classic System 1.2 [96-02_complete] - $1,575.15 : Sonoran Steel Fabrication LLC, Toyota Truck Parts

I do have experience with eibach/5100. Ride quality is very similar to toytec eibach/boss which I've been happy with. I went with toytec boss for ease of adjustability & fine tuning ride height. My experience with the few different set ups I've driven is that as long as your front ride height doesn't exceed 22.5" center hub to fender, the commonly offered coilover pairings for 3rd gens will handle similarly. I haven't tried the higher end stuff like king, icon, etc.

Thanks for the insight. That is helpful and I think I am going to go with the Tundra 5100 and Eibach coils.

I was initially looking at the Tundra 5100/TRD coil setup but when pricing new TRD coils, 5100 shocks, tophat, etc. its about the same as the boss coilover. I don't have that kind of discretionary spending right now and am just looking to get the best "bang for my buck" to get rid of the spacer lift that my truck came with while keeping the 3" lift and improving the ride.