Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Tire choice for the very occasional off roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/274028-tire-choice-very-occasional-off-roading.html)

big51810321 06-13-2019 09:24 PM

Tire choice for the very occasional off roading

I'm looking for a tire suggestion.
I'd like to change the tires on my soon to be 2017 T4R SR5 for something that it just a little more "off road inclined" that the stock tires, but for now, since my boy is not even one, long adventures will be down the road so no need for anything aggressive...

I do however go to the cottage often and the service road to get there is often muddy and washed out...

I'll be keeping the stock size for now.
Since the wife will be driving, hopefully not too noisy and not too heavy.
Call it a "beginner off road tire"

Thanks!

Cymon 06-13-2019 09:37 PM

Cooper AT3 would be on my shortlist for your needs.
Cooper A/T3 Tires

sn_85 06-13-2019 09:39 PM

I'd go with a P-rated AT tire. Cooper AT3-4S, Michelin LTX-AT2, Firestone Destination AT2.

T4R_KAI 06-13-2019 09:43 PM

Wildpeaks. Lots of sizes to choose from and highly rated.

ProfessorP 06-13-2019 10:27 PM

Firestone Destinations AT (P metric not LT). Ran them on my Tundra for 13 years. Great tire! MUCH quieter and lighter than the Wildpeaks I currently have on my 4Runner and pretty much perfect for your planned use.

DreamsOfDirt 06-13-2019 11:20 PM

Another vote for Cooper AT3s.

I’ve had mine on about 34k miles and still love them. I do mostly highway, but when I’ve had the opportunity to head off-road they have been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5thToy 06-13-2019 11:40 PM

Another recommendation for Cooper AT3 4S. I have them on my winter wheels, but I would be just fine with them for year round duties even though I’m happy with KO2s on my summer wheels. The AT3s are great tires.

CredeCo76 06-14-2019 12:14 AM

Huh? I just bought an 06 LTD, and it has the Cooper AT3's on. Picked it up today, drove it home 3 hrs in the rain, tires felt and worked fine.

Stephencovar 06-14-2019 08:19 AM

Are the cooper AT3’s good in snow?

DigitalRJH 06-14-2019 09:32 AM

I’m exactly in you’re situation. I used to off rod allot more in my Jeep and Hummer days with BFGS and Duratracs. I’m now mostly on road with occasional light access trails / fire roads for hiking and mountain biking. Running the Nitto TG G2’s in p metric and have been extremely happy with them. They’ve been very good on road in the wet and dry. Quiet, comfortable, and easily balanced. Off road have been perfectly capable for the conditions, dirt, gravel, light mud, and snow. Haven’t taken them on any real rocky trails but don’t ever plan on it.
That’s been my experience but there is never a unanimous decision on tires.

Roverguy1 06-14-2019 10:04 AM

I've run Cooper AT3's on two previous vehicles, a 1997 Land Rover Discovery and a 2007 LR3. Love these tires. They have a pretty good mileage warranty too. Being in Canada, I'll be replacing the stock 4Runner tires with the new AT3 4S come the fall and will be able to run one set of tires all year.

Victory 4x4 06-14-2019 10:07 AM

My Falken Wildpeak AT3s have been great on & offroad and in Michigan winters.

SHagood 06-14-2019 10:09 AM

Agreed with Falken Wildpeaks.

jraben8 06-14-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalRJH (Post 3305667)
I’m exactly in you’re situation. I used to off rod allot more in my Jeep and Hummer days with BFGS and Duratracs. I’m now mostly on road with occasional light access trails / fire roads for hiking and mountain biking. Running the Nitto TG G2’s in p metric and have been extremely happy with them. They’ve been very good on road in the wet and dry. Quiet, comfortable, and easily balanced. Off road have been perfectly capable for the conditions, dirt, gravel, light mud, and snow. Haven’t taken them on any real rocky trails but don’t ever plan on it.
That’s been my experience but there is never a unanimous decision on tires.

I 2nd this. I have them on my '14 now in 275/55/20. I've also had them on an Avalanche previously and they wear forever...

chester4Run 06-14-2019 10:30 AM

I've had a great experience so far with the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015. My user case is similar to yours and I'm running the stock size in a P rated tire.

GEOLANDAR A/T G015 | Yokohama Tire Corporation