Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Pealing? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/274524-steering-wheel-pealing.html)

socal410 06-26-2019 11:14 PM

Steering Wheel Pealing?
 
Hi forum!
I have a 2017 4Runner SR5 Premium that I bought brand new. I love the vehicle and I've always been meticulous about maintaining my vehicles especially this one. Something that is bugging the hell out of me is the steering wheel has been pealing at the top. This started within the first 8 months of owning the vehicle. I took it into Toyota Escondido to get it replaced under warranty and apparently Toyota deemed this as, "outside influence." They said if I wanted to fix it I would have to purchase a steering wheel for $781.33+tax and an hour of labor to install it. I even reached out to Toyota corporate.

I can't figure out what they consider, "outside influence." Does that mean me putting my hands on the wheel is outside influence??? Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed and wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Am I crazy or is this a common issue with the rig?

GripT4R 06-27-2019 12:13 AM

Bullshit, its under warranty.

CavPro 06-27-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal410 (Post 3312590)
Hi forum!
I have a 2017 4Runner SR5 Premium that I bought brand new. I love the vehicle and I've always been meticulous about maintaining my vehicles especially this one. Something that is bugging the hell out of me is the steering wheel has been pealing at the top. This started within the first 8 months of owning the vehicle. I took it into Toyota Escondido to get it replaced under warranty and apparently Toyota deemed this as, "outside influence." They said if I wanted to fix it I would have to purchase a steering wheel for $781.33+tax and an hour of labor to install it. I even reached out to Toyota corporate.

I can't figure out what they consider, "outside influence." Does that mean me putting my hands on the wheel is outside influence??? Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed and wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Am I crazy or is this a common issue with the rig?

IMO this catch phrase could be cleaning/detailing solutions, or substances on your hands. Others here have gotten it replaced under warranty, don't give up.

jhguth 06-27-2019 08:59 AM

i don't think it's a widespread problem, but there have been a few people here who have had problems with their steering wheel who swear they just used mild soap and water to clean the wheel (and one who's was obviously just scratched with something).


it doesn't solve your problem with getting toyota to replace it under warranty, but i did notice cartrimhome has a custom cut steering wheel cover: Free Shipping Hand-sewn Soft Leather Wear-resistant Steering Wheel Cover For Toyota 4Runner 2014-2019

LaFJ86 06-27-2019 09:17 AM

My 2016 started peeling within 5k miles and only got worse. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the wheel along with the brushed silver trim on the passenger side that was cracking. No questions asked. The new wheel doesn't have a single mark and its been a few thousand miles since it was replaced. I would try a different dealer.

Mutant138 06-27-2019 09:51 AM

F that. They will pay for it. Keep your foot down on this one.

socal410 06-27-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaFJ86 (Post 3312700)
My 2016 started peeling within 5k miles and only got worse. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the wheel along with the brushed silver trim on the passenger side that was cracking. No questions asked. The new wheel doesn't have a single mark and its been a few thousand miles since it was replaced. I would try a different dealer.

Wow well I guess I'm not crazy then. Thanks for the heads up!

socal410 06-27-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant138 (Post 3312721)
F that. They will pay for it. Keep your foot down on this one.

I'm definitely going to now! Screw them.

socal410 06-27-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhguth (Post 3312688)
i don't think it's a widespread problem, but there have been a few people here who have had problems with their steering wheel who swear they just used mild soap and water to clean the wheel (and one who's was obviously just scratched with something).


it doesn't solve your problem with getting toyota to replace it under warranty, but i did notice cartrimhome has a custom cut steering wheel cover: Free Shipping Hand-sewn Soft Leather Wear-resistant Steering Wheel Cover For Toyota 4Runner 2014-2019

This looks nice and I'll probably get this but I'm going to do what I can to get them to honor the warranty. Thanks for this info

Grape Ape 06-27-2019 12:19 PM

Interesting, I just noticed mine starting to peel at the top the other day. I figured it was something I must have done, but now I'll have it looked at.

Muzzle of Bees 06-27-2019 12:32 PM

Mine is flaking in places. It's difficult to see. I touch it up with a black permanent marker. No issues with that solution.

97BlackAckCL 06-27-2019 12:45 PM

Definitely a warranty issue, that is bs. Worse case you can find one on ebay for way less than 700 bucks

Titanpat57 06-27-2019 12:46 PM

Mine is flaking as well...pretty pissed

ScarfaceT4R 06-27-2019 12:58 PM

Same prob with mine on my 2015. Bought mine used as-is no warranty. Prob gonna invest in a good steering wheel cover eventually. Anyone suggest any good covers that aren't too bulky?

socal410 06-27-2019 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's also interesting that you say yours is pealing at the top. That's exactly where mine is pealing.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger