Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Sunroof gasket needs replacement: any tips? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/274666-sunroof-gasket-needs-replacement-any-tips.html)

charleypartanna 06-30-2019 10:56 PM

Sunroof gasket needs replacement: any tips?

Hi folks!

My sunroof gasket on my 2008 Unlimited seems to leaking. I thought it was the windshield that I recently had replaced, but I had the leak evaluated by the shop and they showed me why they believe it’s the sunroof (which sounds/looks accurate to me).

The gasket is original (2008) and the California sun has undoubtedly taken its toll. It is shrunk on one side in particular which leads to water running into the channel. The leak only seems to occur during automatic car wash/dryer, but I would like to address it nonetheless.

Anyone ever replaced the gasket? If so, any tips? I’m handy and like working on my cars, but I’m guessing this job may be a pain and I’ll be willing to pay to have it done. Any other parts you’d recommend replacing as long as I (or someone else) is going in there?

Thanks all!

Charley

81runner 07-01-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charleypartanna (Post 3314508)
Hi folks!

My sunroof gasket on my 2008 Unlimited seems to leaking. I thought it was the windshield that I recently had replaced, but I had the leak evaluated by the shop and they showed me why they believe it’s the sunroof (which sounds/looks accurate to me).

The gasket is original (2008) and the California sun has undoubtedly taken its toll. It is shrunk on one side in particular which leads to water running into the channel. The leak only seems to occur during automatic car wash/dryer, but I would like to address it nonetheless.

Anyone ever replaced the gasket? If so, any tips? I’m handy and like working on my cars, but I’m guessing this job may be a pain and I’ll be willing to pay to have it done. Any other parts you’d recommend replacing as long as I (or someone else) is going in there?

Thanks all!

Charley

Pretty sure the gasket isn't your problem, there are four drain lines up there, one for each corner. If you are leaking from the sunroof, check the drains first, they can clog with dirt and leaves and such

charleypartanna 07-01-2019 02:01 PM

81runner, good suggestion. However, that’s not the issue. We cleared and tested the drain lines — they’re all clear.

Since posting this, I’ve read some more posts on this topic. It sounds like there are two options. Buy the expensive replacement part (integrated glass and gasket). Or seal it shut. I’m probably going to seal it, thinking black RTV might work well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks all,

Charley

villaphoto 07-01-2019 04:08 PM

I ran into this issue with my 4th gen as well. I popped into Rancho Toyota Recycling up in Rancho Cordova and found a new sunroof assembly for $250( dealer wants approx. $600 just for the glass). I dropped the headliner installed the new assembly in about 3 hours, which I could do faster now that I know what I'm doing. After that it was like having a brand new sunroof in, no leaks or anything.

Snagglepus 07-17-2019 12:05 AM

Moon Roof Gasket

Yes, the rubber seal is part of the frame and glass. I don’t think purchasing just the gasket is possible. I have a 2007 which was leaking and causing the frame to rust. After replacing the frame and glass with previously owned one from the local junk yard I realized that maybe my original glass had not been synced correctly and took years of unnecessary moisture. I would check your local yard for a match and replace it (no need to take out the headliner-just 4 star screws) and then follow the sync procedure to be sure it closes as designed. If you find a used frame and glass without any rust you can be sure the gasket is a good one and then you just have to sync it. My local source sold me the entire moon roof for $150-even though I only needed the glass/frame. I left the motor and other parts for the next poor sap. Ha.

MY06T4R 07-17-2019 02:39 AM

This is how I fixed mine

I went to the local junk yard in Columbus, Ohio and pulled and bought the sunroof glass only, took about 5 minutes and they charged my about $20. When I got home it took about 5 minutes to replace. Mine was not leaking but did look like crap from the sun wearing out the seal. You won't even have to take the headliner down to replace the glass. If someone has not done a write up, I can do one with pics or video and details.

AZ07Runner 07-17-2019 11:52 AM

I don't have much rain here in AZ, but I found that the sunroof leaked only during the automatic car washes, too. I saw that the high pressure blower to remove water was pushing the sunroof down and water was getting in. Other than that, no leaks. Quite possible you need a new gasket, but maybe just don't use the car washes. I stopped going due to this.

miftah 09-05-2022 01:29 PM

MY06T4R , I request you to post the pics of the repair if you still have the pics and/or video.

eshin84 07-20-2023 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY06T4R (Post 3323197)
I went to the local junk yard in Columbus, Ohio and pulled and bought the sunroof glass only, took about 5 minutes and they charged my about $20. When I got home it took about 5 minutes to replace. Mine was not leaking but did look like crap from the sun wearing out the seal. You won't even have to take the headliner down to replace the glass. If someone has not done a write up, I can do one with pics or video and details.

Hi MY06T4R, I was wondering if you would be able to post a write up, pics, or video detailing how to replace the sunroof glass on a 4th gen 4Runner without having to take the headliner down? Thanks in advance!

MY06T4R 11-16-2023 11:47 AM

I will try to get something posted here shortly, sorry for the delayed response, I didn't see my notifications until today.