Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Remote Start (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/274741-remote-start.html)

hrantvarozian 07-02-2019 07:06 PM

Remote Start

Does anyone know of a dealership or mechanic in the Los Angeles area who they can recommend to add a remote start?

My local dealer doesn't wanna do it and I'm hesitant to push them to do it because I don't trust them to do anything other than an oil change.

Any input from anyone who has it would be appreciated. Do you have to get a separate key fob for the remote start or is it possible to get it programmed on my original key?

md-lucky 07-02-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrantvarozian (Post 3315673)
Does anyone know of a dealership or mechanic in the Los Angeles area who they can recommend to add a remote start?

My local dealer doesn't wanna do it and I'm hesitant to push them to do it because I don't trust them to do anything other than an oil change.

Any input from anyone who has it would be appreciated. Do you have to get a separate key fob for the remote start or is it possible to get it programmed on my original key?

Really research this site before you get the remote start.

Most people will report back they are very disappointed in the factory option. It shuts down the vehicle when you open the door.

The after market options are very good. I'm an extremely satisfied Drone Mobile user.

Signal 07-02-2019 07:13 PM

This seems like a good deal and you can do it your self.

2010-2019 Toyota 4Runner Plug & Play Remote Start Kit (G-Key) | 12Volt.Solutions

Ellis_McPickle 07-02-2019 07:35 PM

I have an accessorides system on mine. It was easy to install and not wildly expensive. Mine shuts down when I open a door, but it also is the Limited (push start), and I believe the keyed models stay running.

Superjet 07-02-2019 07:51 PM

This one has a t-harness for minimal wired connections, comes with installation
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compust...?skuId=6046704

You can use the OEM fob pressing lock 3 times and it comes with a spare fob for longer range. You can also add different remotes or Drone for controlling it anywhere from a phone (requires subscription). They also run a similar model during the holidays often for around $250

davem 07-02-2019 08:47 PM

just ordered the 12volt solutions remote start today. Completely plug and play. They have a 15% off sale right now.

Nivek 07-02-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Accessoride has remote start for toyota. Plug and PLAY 100%.
I believed their remote start doesn't kill the car once the door open.

TOYOTA REMOTE START KITS – Accessorides

Nivek 07-02-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

I believed their remote start doesn't kill the car once the door open. You can install it yourself its very easy!

Bayou_Pro 07-03-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivek (Post 3315825)
I believed their remote start doesn't kill the car once the door open. You can install it yourself its very easy!

You are correct but only if you have the G Key. If you have a limited with the push button start it will still kill the engine when you open the door.

6172crew 07-03-2019 09:52 AM

Just repeating what the other folks said; I have to restart the rig after I unlock the doors which sucks. Wish I had skipped that option along with the factory GPS (If it was possible). Both features are annoying and aftermarket systems available are better than stock. I like the stock look, which is why I have TRD Pro wheels, but toyota dropped the ball with a few things and could have done much better.

the_fornicator 07-03-2019 10:07 AM

If you live somewhere cold, I got one of those text-to-start things where I can start my car from anywhere in the world provided my phone and vehicle are in a place that has cellular reception. The guy also programmed my key fob to be a one-way starter -press the lock button 3 times and the car starts (the range on this bit sucks, though).

I got the Drone starter thing for the text-to-start and pay something like $3 a month for the subscription.

italbomber 07-03-2019 12:37 PM

Remote Start

Everyone I’ve talked to recommended the accessorides 100% plug and play remote start. I got mine in the mail yesterday and will be installing myself on Friday night. They have a nice video on YouTube. Check it out. Got great ratings and reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAXJeremy 07-03-2019 12:47 PM

The accessorides kit is next up on my list of mods.

808Keith 07-03-2019 01:48 PM

I’ve had mine now for like 3 weeks... should’ve been the first mod to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greels 07-03-2019 01:55 PM

And just to give you some confidence OP, I ordered the Compustar one from Steve on this forum (forget his username) and installed it myself.

I know very little about car mechanics, electronics, etc. and I was able to do it without a single problem in maybe an hour or so.