Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   Horse Creek Trail (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/274895-horse-creek-trail.html)

wolfbbg 07-06-2019 04:22 PM

Horse Creek Trail

Hi Gang: Any folks in the NE TN area interested in riding out Horse Creek Trail (Chuckey, TN)? Im planning to head back out there on an upcoming Saturday. I figured it would be more fun with others...

FWIW, I’ll be in my stock ‘15 LE. I’ve been on part of that trail before, but would like to make it to the end.

Tnx!

Syr4RinNC 07-12-2019 07:57 PM

I might be interested in meeting you. Im in NC, itd be about a 3 hour drive for me I estimate Id also like to run the Hurricane Creek trail west of Asheville up to Max patch (you can do a search on here, youtube, google) and am looking for a trail partner at some point.

wolfbbg 07-13-2019 08:10 AM

Just watched the videos for Hurricane Creek. That view from Max Patch looks pretty amazing. That trail is about 2:00 or 2:15 from me, but I’m interested in that one too. Horse Creek is about 1:15 from me. I’ve got no trails closer than an hour... 😞

Porqupine82 07-13-2019 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
NE TN here. We had some extremely strange things happen to us last time we went up there to camp. After researching the history of the area its a really dark place. During the Civil War Greeneville TN was a union stronghold, and there weren't many confederate soldiers in the area. At the top of cold spring mountain (the mountain horse creek ascends), there were 3 union soldiers who lived in a cabin, A man, his brother, and the man's 13 (I believe) year old son. One day they sent the boy into town to buy salt. It was snowing and the boy began walking to town down horse creek trail. He became tired and decided to instead go to a confederate camp that he passed weekly and steal their salt since they were not in the camp. The confederate soldiers knew of him passing but allowed it because he was 13 years old... and never caused any issues. After stealing the salt, he hiked back up the mountain, with his footprints being left in the snow. The confederate soldiers found the footprints, and tracked him up to the cabin where they waited until night, kicked in the door and tortured then hanged both men and the 13 year old. The 3 soldiers were found in the spring and buried under the tree they hung from. They decorate these Graves once a year and open the FS gate to allow easier access to the gravesite.

That mountain has a long history of murder, torture and famine. Last time we camped, everyone in my group heard these loud booms all night. I thought it was fireworks and chalked it up to some people partying on down the mountainside, but everyone else believed the booms were coming from different directions. Now I am going to post a photo I took while camping last time. Think about it what you will, as I'm not very open minded about paranormal stuff, but there is no denying what I can see in this photo. Girl on the far right is my wife. What do you see standing behind her?

With that said, I don't know how to explain the photo, or what we heard. The whole mountain is victim to evil things that have happened since cherokee Indians lived here. The Cherokee even spoke of little humans that lived in the area that tormented people who lived here.

All things considered, I'm down to go back and only live 40 minutes from it. HC is a wild place and the trail is easy but annoyingly rocky. Decent view at the top and locals dump trash there. If you do go, take out some trash with you. My instagram is overland_tennessee ... yell at me on there and we will plan a trip I want some more weird stuff to happen.

wolfbbg 08-22-2019 09:43 AM

Hi Gang:

I've got some folks headed up to Horse Creek Trail (Chuckey, TN) this coming Sunday, 8/22/19. We're gonna meet up at the intersection of Hwy 107 and Horse Creek Park Rd -- GPS 36.141289, -82.677014 (decimal). The plan is to meet around 1pm. We'll have a couple of 5th gens (a LE and an SR5) and a CJ.

Anyone that wants to tag along is welcome!

utctscanr75 08-18-2020 08:59 AM

Am trying to get more information about this place. Is there gpx or maps available for the offroad portion? If not, how do you know where to go once there? I'm originally from Jefferson County and am visiting family in the area this October. Planning to hit hurricane Creek trail, but would like to check this one out as well.

SilverFox2020 08-26-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utctscanr75 (Post 3533157)
Am trying to get more information about this place. Is there gpx or maps available for the offroad portion? If not, how do you know where to go once there? I'm originally from Jefferson County and am visiting family in the area this October. Planning to hit hurricane Creek trail, but would like to check this one out as well.

I just did this trail today. Google map Horse Creek recreational area, once you get there the road is basically straight ahead it’s Forest Rd 93. It is a kind of a rocky trail, I got some slight rear bumper damage, and did hit something with my undercarriage, I have stock suspension and tires. We got out and hiked the Pete Branch Trail. Ir was fun but I won’t do it again until after I get my lift.
Took some pictures but can’t seem to load them on here.

utctscanr75 08-27-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverFox2020 (Post 3537135)
I just did this trail today. Google map Horse Creek recreational area, once you get there the road is basically straight ahead it’s Forest Rd 93. It is a kind of a rocky trail, I got some slight rear bumper damage, and did hit something with my undercarriage, I have stock suspension and tires. We got out and hiked the Pete Branch Trail. Ir was fun but I won’t do it again until after I get my lift.
Took some pictures but can’t seem to load them on here.

Yeah, I did that shortly after my previous post and built my a GPX file in Gaia for it. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping my lift will help prevent the damage you experienced.