Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Maintenance/Detailing (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/)
-   -   How to clean this? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/274899-how-clean.html)

stella 07-06-2019 09:34 PM

How to clean this?

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know how to clean the dirt around the outsides of the panels on my 2006 4runner?

Bonus question: how can I make the running boards black again?

cb1111 07-06-2019 09:51 PM

Did you see my post in your other thread? Easy to get rid of.

AuSeeker 07-07-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1111 (Post 3317825)
Did you see my post in your other thread? Easy to get rid of.

I read your reply and replied to it....here's my reply here as well, plus a bit more info.

I'm not sure if you know what her issue is, what I see is dirt getting behind the edges of the clear film on the door/s at the bottom of the clad panels, this clear film was install to help protect the plastic cladding from rock chips, the dirt line you're seeing is not on the paint it's on the back edges of the clear film.

You can possibly clean the dirt from behind the film but it will just be back fairly soon because the edge of the film is lifting up/slowing coming loose allowing dirt to get behind it, some on the forum have removed the film so this doesn't happen any longer but how they got it off would have to be searched for as I don't remember exactly how they got it off, I know it's not as easy as it sounds because it has a self adhesive back on it.

It seems I do remember one guy using a safe solvent that won't damage the paint but will dissolve glue and plastic razor blades, yes you read that correctly, plastic razor blades, check online they are made for using on painted surfaces so it won't scratch the paint.

cb1111 07-07-2019 12:01 PM

Yes, I knew what it was, but I thought that you had already removed the ppf and were just dealing with the residue.

No real way to fix it except to remove the PPF, clean as I outlined and replace with new.

stella 07-07-2019 09:22 PM

Thanks!

I'll go look in the other thread for your response. I'm still getting used to this forum. Thank you very much!

cb1111 07-07-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stella (Post 3318179)
I'll go look in the other thread for your response. I'm still getting used to this forum. Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, once PPF (Paint Protection Film) starts to peel, there isn't much one can do. Even if you remove the damaged areas, it won't be long before it peels again.

Remove it, clean the area and reapply new film. Auto parts stores (PepBoys, Autozone etc.) sell rolls of cheap, somewhat junky, film in 4 and 6 inch rolls that is fine for this sort of application and you can swap it out every couple of years.

My other post was written in a very basic way, so please don't take it as being talked down to if you know that already.

Snypr18 02-14-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stella (Post 3317817)
Bonus question: how can I make the running boards black again?

Aerospace 303 is great for keeping / returning plastic and rubber to their original color. Also protects from UV and helps prevent drying and cracking. I wipe all the black plastic and rubber trim down on my cars once a month or so.

lixamturtle 02-14-2020 07:47 PM

great question im interetsed

sport2004 02-14-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snypr18 (Post 3442960)
I wipe all the black plastic and rubber trim down on my cars once a month or so.

that stuff won't damage the rubber trim?

Snypr18 02-14-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sport2004 (Post 3443006)
that stuff won't damage the rubber trim?

It sure shouldn't, its basically just sunscreen for exterior surfaces. It is really popular for marine use since boats take so much abuse from salt water and direct sun. It makes a world of difference on window trim, grilles, etc.

303 Aerospace Protectant Review and Guide | Ask a Pro Blog

sport2004 02-15-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snypr18 (Post 3443025)
It sure shouldn't, its basically just sunscreen for exterior surfaces. It is really popular for marine use since boats take so much abuse from salt water and direct sun. It makes a world of difference on window trim, grilles, etc.

Thanks...i def need to get some of that

SaguarGo 02-25-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snypr18 (Post 3443025)

Just used this on the black trim panels on the back side of front window and front part of back window, and also on the black plastic on top rear bumper. It made a world of difference. Highly, highly recommend. Thanks for the tip.