Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Frequently breaking rear sway bar - Any solutions?? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/274903-frequently-breaking-rear-sway-bar-any-solutions.html)

earthrealm 07-07-2019 03:20 AM

Frequently breaking rear sway bar - Any solutions??

1 Attachment(s)
So, recently observed my rear sway is broken yet again, i dont wheel, though go offroad infrequently to exercise the 4wd, i have rancho quick lift struts with 1.75inch lift at the front, and 1.5inch lifts at the rears.

am puzzled at the frequent breakage, so my questions are

1. Could i weld the broken sway bar and reuse?
2. Are there beefier sway bars i cud install, as i noticed the sway bar is just a hollow metal tube

3. If the above 2 scenarios are wrong - ie would transfer the stress to the next weaker link. what is the next weaker link that this stress would be transferred to???

4. I am not comfortable running without rear sway bars, cos i pulled off/broke one of my rear brake lines last time, due to too much articulation -

Trumpet 07-07-2019 08:41 AM

Had a similar issue on a Subaru, yeah I know :ybrick:

Ended up using a oversize 22mm VS 19mm diameter sway bar. Then ended up replacing the sway bar links annually. The increased stiffness really helped handling though.

Regarding yours, there has got to be something going on for two stock bars to fail. I'd look into that before putting another sway bar on.

chaz 07-07-2019 08:57 AM

addco 2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner, 2005-2013 FJ Cruiser - ADDCO 2301 Rear Sway Bar (7/8 Diameter) [2301] | $129.95 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

jrm 07-07-2019 11:14 AM

this is just a guess but that 1.5" rear left could have offset your rear axle just enough to put that pressure on the sway bar links were they are breaking. An adjustable aftermarket panhard bar like this one would align the rear axle as it was before the lift.

RM43014 - Rokmen Adjustable DOM Panhard Bar for 03+4Runner / 07-14 FJ Cruiser

Keros 07-07-2019 03:22 PM

I have the ADDCO bars on my V8 '05. They are monstrously stiff. They give the truck way more confidence than it is due in corners.

My passengers in the rear seats no longer clunk heads together when driving around, which was why I got the ADDCOs.

They also eat endlinks for breakfast, it seems... replacing another set tomorrow.

However, the panhard bar @jrm recommended is a better place to start than a stronger sway bar, I think.

Keros 07-09-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keros (Post 3318055)
I have the ADDCO bars on my V8 '05. They are monstrously stiff. They give the truck way more confidence than it is due in corners.

My passengers in the rear seats no longer clunk heads together when driving around, which was why I got the ADDCOs.

They also eat endlinks for breakfast, it seems... replacing another set tomorrow.

However, the panhard bar @jrm recommended is a better place to start than a stronger sway bar, I think.

Update:

Upon inspection, the endlink itself was fine as were the bushings. However, the OEM endlink had actually wallowed out the hold in the sway bar and thus had become loose and mobile in the hole (even though the bolt was tight).

There's alot of force transmitted through the sway bar, so it's no surprise this happened. The shop cut off the (relatively new) OEM Toyota endlinks and replaced them with MOOG links, which do not appear to suffer the design flaws the Toyota endlinks did. I had them add grade 12.9 washers to protect the bar from being ripped up.

The MOOG endlinks have a much larger ball housing with a greaseable zerk fitting. The shaft is WAY bigger. And the bar-end bolt has a nut fitting cut into the ball side of the bolt to hold with a wrench while installing and removing the [much larger] nut.

Which endlinks to buy? atleast on purchase inspection, the MOOG is far superior to the Toyota. We'll see how they hold up to a heavy flogging up some mountain roads and through winters.

BackOff 07-10-2019 12:03 PM

If you lifted the rear at the coils but did not extend the sway-bar end links it maybe causing more tension on the bar.
You can use 2nd gen 4runner end links. They are 1" longer, and on the cheap.
A couple other heavy duty versions to be had also.

duffdog 07-10-2019 01:19 PM

You could just take the whole thing off, throw it in the trash and simply get stiffer rear springs. I'm not exactly sure why anyone wants a rear sway bar for off road. The entire point of going off road is to let the suspension articulate and the sway bar prevents this.

Billynath1988 07-10-2019 03:29 PM

I Have broken mine as well. I now disconnect it every time I go off-road and reconnect when im doing pavement time. Eventually as DUFFDOG said, ill be getting stiffer springs and removing it all together.

I usually just disconnect the endlink from the body side on top.. remove the bushings fold the endlink down with the sway bar and let it move around.. ive done it several times.. and then easily reconnect it when im done.. DOesnt interfere with anything, under heavy flex it clanks a little bit on the lower links..

earthrealm 07-10-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackOff (Post 3319598)
If you lifted the rear at the coils but did not extend the sway-bar end links it maybe causing more tension on the bar.
You can use 2nd gen 4runner end links. They are 1" longer, and on the cheap.
A couple other heavy duty versions to be had also.

this is the lift i used at the rear.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so would try the option of using 2nd gen endlinks. am thinking of welding the broken sway bar and use it with the 2nd gen end links for a while, lemme see how it holds up

Rodtheviking 07-11-2019 12:20 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Skyjacker-SBE.../dp/B00112G22Q

I went with these, nice and tight and sets the bar level with the ground like factory. You have to drill out the bar to 13mm for the bolt.

Mantilgh 07-11-2019 03:16 PM

Frequently breaking rear sway bar - Any solutions??

Sorry, I don’t have any info that can help you, but was wondering how you like the Rancho Quick Lift and if you used their spacer in the rear or went with a different set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earthrealm 07-11-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantilgh (Post 3320426)
Sorry, I don’t have any info that can help you, but was wondering how you like the Rancho Quick Lift and if you used their spacer in the rear or went with a different set up.

THE ranchos are holding up ok, over 4yrs now and counting, changes the stance of the truck in a few minutes, nope for the rears, i used daystar spacer kit, see below

BackOff 07-15-2019 01:14 PM

That Daystar looks like the same/identical rear 1.5" spacer as the Rancho branded one.

On car-part.com you can get that rear sway-bar for $75-$150.

Mantilgh 07-16-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthrealm (Post 3320590)
THE ranchos are holding up ok, over 4yrs now and counting, changes the stance of the truck in a few minutes, nope for the rears, i used daystar spacer kit, see below

Thank you.

Good to hear!