Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   So it looks like the CTHome T9 head unit is out, waiting for reviews. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/275018-so-looks-like-cthome-t9-head-unit-out-waiting-reviews.html)

zonzin 07-10-2019 03:46 PM

So it looks like the CTHome T9 head unit is out, waiting for reviews.

I almost sprung for the T8 but then the real world reviews started coming in and I passed. The T9 looks to be a big improvement and seems to address all the issues with the T8.
Gota admit, sure looks sweet, but it always boils down to performance and compatibility.
Looking forward to the reviews coming in.

CTHome T9

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...19&oe=5DC46FEF

IanB 07-10-2019 03:53 PM

This is a sweet looking unit! By the time I'm ready to spend the money, we should be on to the T10 or T11's, lol.

jhguth 07-10-2019 04:30 PM

everyone remember that anyone who shares a link is getting a kickback, so any of the early reviews from people with affiliate links are not unbiased. wait till people start to receive these and see if the performance is improved.

i'm concerned that it appears to still be running android 8.1, and we're just a couple months from android 10 being released and on the last unit they said that you wouldn't be able to update the android version which means that you're basically starting out 2 versions behind without the ability to update.

llDemonll 07-10-2019 04:32 PM

Based on all the reviews of how the other ones went on the forums I'd stay away from these, at least until they get some real-world reviews out there. And

Seems like a quarter of the people who bought them had issues with them and weren't happy.

pickett 07-10-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonzin (Post 3319771)
I almost sprung for the T8 but then the real world reviews started coming in and I passed. The T9 looks to be a big improvement and seems to address all the issues with the T8.
Gota admit, sure looks sweet, but it always boils down to performance and compatibility.
Looking forward to the reviews coming in.

What makes you think it's a big improvement? Wireless Carplay? I'm very skeptical of this based on all of the T8 horror stories I read elsewhere on the forum.

dot_tom 07-10-2019 09:48 PM

I wonder if they solved the dust in the screen issue. That would drive me almost as crazy as the lagging interface.

Blu42 07-10-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhguth (Post 3319798)
everyone remember that anyone who shares a link is getting a kickback, so any of the early reviews from people with affiliate links are not unbiased. wait till people start to receive these and see if the performance is improved.

i'm concerned that it appears to still be running android 8.1, and we're just a couple months from android 10 being released and on the last unit they said that you wouldn't be able to update the android version which means that you're basically starting out 2 versions behind without the ability to update.

8.1 is the latest for the majority of Android head units at the moment. All Android units are just clones and are almost always poorly programmed. Some are better than others but not really. They are cool if you know how to tinker with the OS and don't mind issues. Random issues.

My last Joying unit cracked out of nowhere and eventually the digitizer quit. Plugged in a wireless keyboard/mouse controller and kept using it for another year. Not the greatest way to use a headunit but at least I had the ability to do that.

My main gripe at the moment is that the price of these things keeps going up but they've changed very little in overall performance and hardware. That said, I'd still get another one but I like to tinker, know how to mess with Android and Linux, and I love shitty projects.

Check out XDA Developers for more info on these units if you like flashing ROMs and tinkerings with electronics. Good tips and resource for help.

Compromised4Runner 07-11-2019 01:37 AM

I'd not only wait for 'real' reviews, but a few months for the 2020 4runner. As it is being reported on multiple sites that there will be a new 8" head unit that does apple/android auto. Interested to see how much the new HU and bezel will cost.

borfoo3 07-11-2019 05:55 AM

At least its finally doubled in RAM and storage capacity.. should help in performance. Can't find anything on the allwinner t9 SoC vs the t8 in the last head unit.. anyone have an idea?

Looking forward for the reviews.

KingTaco 07-11-2019 07:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up @zonzin
Good to know they're still invested in the idea and haven't walked away after the T8. After several months with the T8, the only minor gripes I have is that sometimes it takes a minute or two for the clock to sync, and the Amazon Music app doesn't want to remember my password. Definitely worth the swap for me. I sold my factory unit on eBay and was pretty close to breaking even.

I would caution the folks judging this by it's compatibility with Apple CarPlay. By design, this is a discount Chinese no-name generic Android head unit. I think going with a product like this and expecting to be able to use a non-native OS with performance of a $2k Alpine unit is not reasonable. The whole point is the Android OS. If you want to use Android and keep it relatively simple, I still think these are worthwhile at the discounted price point people were pushing them for when the T8s were getting attention. I haven't experienced any lag time issues at all FWIW.

WhiteRunner10 07-11-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compromised4Runner (Post 3320117)
I'd not only wait for 'real' reviews, but a few months for the 2020 4runner. As it is being reported on multiple sites that there will be a new 8" head unit that does apple/android auto. Interested to see how much the new HU and bezel will cost.

Someone already found it in the parts guide. It is +4k if I recall correctly. I was thinking along the same lines you were until I got hit with sticker shock.

Stock unit for the 2019 is listed at 5,235.00
NAVIGATION & FRONT MONITOR DISPLAY. For 2019 Toyota 4Runner 4.0L V6 AT | Toyota

Jesse1983 07-11-2019 08:04 AM

just watched the entire 16 minute video via the link in @zonzin post. I didn't see the unit lag one time. back-up cam triggered instantly. wireless carplay out of the box is definitely nice too. the person who made the video said the unit does have some dust under the screen. he seems to think that issue will be resolved. he didn't show any steering wheel functions, but the site says they work.

this is by far my favorite head unit based on looks alone. if the performance can keep up i'll buy without question. but like everyone else i will need to see some real life, unbiased, reviews. since the last unit was in my opinion a failure, maybe CT should provide a couple of us with free units, for review purposes of course :becky:

JAXJeremy 07-11-2019 08:44 AM

I'm intrigued..followed the thread for the T8 and was close to pulling the trigger when the reports from people who weren't happy with it started piling up..glad I held off. This looks to be the same guy that was promoting that one.

jhguth 07-11-2019 08:49 AM

Allwinner doesn't show the T9 on their website:
http://www.allwinnertech.com/index.p...&a=index&pid=9

zonzin 07-11-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickett (Post 3319887)
What makes you think it's a big improvement? Wireless Carplay? I'm very skeptical of this based on all of the T8 horror stories I read elsewhere on the forum.

Just based on what the specs are that they list. I'm taking a wait and see attitude, gen 1 of most things has issues, lets see how gen 2 shapes up.