Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Cant figure out my steering wheel shaking (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/275080-cant-figure-out-my-steering-wheel-shaking.html)

vastano 07-11-2019 08:51 PM

Cant figure out my steering wheel shaking

Recently I started getting small steering wheel shakes with normal highway driving, typically around 55-65mph. Not a HUGE deal. But, if I drive ~20 mins and get off an exit ramp, the steering wheel shakes vigorously when I apply brakes.

Replace rotors you say? Did that yesterday. Wheels need balancing? Rotated and balanced the wheels/tires today. While the symptoms arent as bad as they were before this, I still get vigorous steering wheel shakes when I apply brakes.

I did the 5th gen upgrade ~2 years ago. Before I did that, I remember similar symptoms.

I guess my question is, does this sound like a seized caliper or could this just be 15 year old suspension/bushings/bearings?

Is there a way to tell which caliper is seized? Do I need to replace them at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

DEF4Runner 07-11-2019 09:12 PM

It might very well be the calipers seize. I too recently had a small highway steering wheel vibration. I lived with it for a while and because the pads were going, I went to replace the rotors and pads. Found one of the caliper pistons on the inboard pass side was completely seized and the same inboard piston on the driver's side was starting to seize. Replaced the calipers and viola! Rides smooth as glass now.

Thank you NAPA Lifetime warranty! ;)

Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vastano (Post 3320638)
Recently I started getting small steering wheel shakes with normal highway driving, typically around 55-65mph. Not a HUGE deal. But, if I drive ~20 mins and get off an exit ramp, the steering wheel shakes vigorously when I apply brakes.

Replace rotors you say? Did that yesterday. Wheels need balancing? Rotated and balanced the wheels/tires today. While the symptoms arent as bad as they were before this, I still get vigorous steering wheel shakes when I apply brakes.

I did the 5th gen upgrade ~2 years ago. Before I did that, I remember similar symptoms.

I guess my question is, does this sound like a seized caliper or could this just be 15 year old suspension/bushings/bearings?

Is there a way to tell which caliper is seized? Do I need to replace them at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Hunter.Cribb 07-12-2019 06:46 AM

Cant figure out my steering wheel shaking

Mine does the same thing right around 65-70. It just flutters. I got brand new tires and all new front suspension. I guess I should look into the brakes.

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4wd

JVC8790 07-12-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter.Cribb (Post 3320783)
Mine does the same thing right around 65-70. It just flutters. I got brand new tires and all new front suspension. I guess I should look into the brakes.

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4wd

Ditto, mine has a light vibration, but I also recently noticed a pull to the right on braking, so I'm going with a stuck caliper.

iamBazzy 07-12-2019 10:02 AM

I wasn't chasing the shake, rather upgrading everything since I was adding a lift. Replaced inner and outer tie rods, entire braking system, new wheels and tires, new upper control arms, sway-bar bushings, UCA bushings.. Still noticed a wobble. Went to have it aligned recently and the tech alerted me to my lower control arm bushings having some signs of dry rot on the inside of the bushing. Waiting on new ones to arrive, hopefully that's the issue because I don't know what else there could be

jrm 07-12-2019 12:44 PM

It sounds like the tires were balanced using the hole in the center of the wheel and not the lugs surrounding the center. The way the OE wheels are manufactured, the center of the wheel is determined by the lug holes of the wheel and NOT the hole in the center of the wheel. If your tire store uses the center hole as the center of the wheel they can get close but they will never get it right. Sure theyll try to force balance the tires or blame your oversized tires and/or lift for them not being able to get the tire balanced but if they dont use the Haweka adapter metioned in the toyota TSB-#SU002-96 theyll never get them balanced the way its supposed to be...

Chewbaccam 07-12-2019 09:44 PM

I had a very similar wobble at the same speeds, it would also go away if you went past 60mph. I recently got my brakes replaced- pads, rotors, calipers. That reduced the wobble some but I didn't notice it completely going away until I got new tires (old ones were chopped so im sure it didn't help) and new upper control arms. After that, perfectly smooth. So I can't say it was one single thing, but it was a combo of items for me.

vastano 07-13-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbaccam (Post 3321159)
I had a very similar wobble at the same speeds, it would also go away if you went past 60mph. I recently got my brakes replaced- pads, rotors, calipers. That reduced the wobble some but I didn't notice it completely going away until I got new tires (old ones were chopped so im sure it didn't help) and new upper control arms. After that, perfectly smooth. So I can't say it was one single thing, but it was a combo of items for me.

This is interesting. I'm going to look into revamping my controls arms and any other wear parts that need to be replaced at 210k...

Whats odd with the whole situation is the braking was fine yesterday, no added shakes when i applied the brakes, no matter the speed. But once I get above 50mph, the shake appears.

08TxRunner 07-13-2019 07:24 PM

If the only time you get steering wheel shake is when you're braking, it's a problem with the brakes. Tire/rim balance problems are there regardless of whether the brake pedal is applied. I chased what I thought was balance problems for quite a while and it turned out to be a stuck caliper piston that was dragging and warping the rotor. I recently changed out the rotors, calipers, and pads and it's been great.

vastano 07-25-2019 10:02 AM

Update to my issue.

The original axles were well past due for a change, the inner boots have been torn since I bought the Runner 3 years ago.

I bought the Carquest axles from Advance Auto and installed them last night. Before I changed them out, i grabbed both axles to see if there was play. I could shake both of them but the passenger side seemed very loose.

During the removal, both axles essentially fell out, leaving the 'tulip' in the transfer case.

Overall this remove/replace procedure on the axles is pretty simple.

I'm happy to report that 90% of my steering wheel shake is gone. I'll be doing another trans fluid exchange soon and hopefully that will take care of the rest of the shaking. I'm thinking the axles were so bad that they were amplifying the little bit of shake that's there now.

firebirdguy 07-25-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vastano (Post 3327539)
Update to my issue.

The original axles were well past due for a change, the inner boots have been torn since I bought the Runner 3 years ago.

I bought the Carquest axles from Advance Auto and installed them last night. Before I changed them out, i grabbed both axles to see if there was play. I could shake both of them but the passenger side seemed very loose.

During the removal, both axles essentially fell out, leaving the 'tulip' in the transfer case.

Overall this remove/replace procedure on the axles is pretty simple.

I'm happy to report that 90% of my steering wheel shake is gone. I'll be doing another trans fluid exchange soon and hopefully that will take care of the rest of the shaking. I'm thinking the axles were so bad that they were amplifying the little bit of shake that's there now.

how will a trans fluid exchange take care of shaking ??

vastano 07-25-2019 11:33 AM

I believe I have the beginning of the 'rumble strip' issue.. Seems the consensus on a fix is to add shudder-fixx or do a fluid exchange.

firebirdguy 07-25-2019 02:14 PM

oh, ok. the rumble strip trans issue has noting to do with steering wheel shake related to suspension, brake or tire issues.

if you have the trans vibration, a trans fluid exchange &/or shudder fix may help, just wanted to clarify that steering wheel shake is unrelated to that.

best of luck figuring out both issues.

vastano 08-12-2019 12:35 PM

wanted to post another update.

I figured out my 2 year old 5th gen Centric front calipers were seized. I replaced them and that go rid of alot of the shakes.

Its to the point now where the vibrations are tolerable, although I have suspicions that the rears may be seized too. Ill check when I install my speed bleeders Wednesday.

Hunter.Cribb 08-12-2019 06:21 PM

My 4Runner began pulling to the right now when I hit the brakes. So I’m taking it to the shop tomorrow. Maybe a caliper has been causing my steering wheel shake this whole time.