Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Signal's Chaos Build (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/275173-signals-chaos-build.html)

Signal 07-14-2019 02:43 PM

Signal's Chaos Build

2 Attachment(s)
The 4 Runner is named Chaos because the dealership set up entune and said " we need to name it", so Chaos it is. We bought it with less than 25 miles on it. They had a 1 TRD Pro in Voodoo Blue and I almost bit, but since I knew what I want ed to do with it I didn't see the point of paying extra for black wheels and a suspension I was going to change out. I will post my progress while I build this thing to what I want. We adventure a lot, we go to the Smoky Mountains as much as we can. We are coming over from a 2006 Xterra which we loved but decided it was time. I am working on getting pics together, they will be here by Friday. I would also like as much feedback as possible. I know nothing about 4Runners, this is my 1st one. Thank you for stopping by.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Signal 07-14-2019 02:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So the 1st mod I did was installing the HAM radio. I bought a Kenwood TM-D710GA, I choose this one because of the size of the faceplate. This is my daily driver so I dont want a bunch of clutter when we are venturing out and I don't want my wifes leg space. I bought a mini antenna and tan it through the back and mounted the unit under the seat and ran the rj45 for the face pretty much under the center console.

Since we are/were getting hit with bands of Barry I changed out the lows, highs and the fogs with Auxbeam. @babston has these and talked about them i nhis build thread so I figured I would try them out. Has anyone else tried them? I am worried about the low beams since they are in the little compartment area and they get warm but The have a built in fan for the heat These for the Highs

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And 2 sets of these for the lows and the fogs.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some before and after pics. I didn't get any today of the fogs I will take one tomorrow. Here are some pics of the small compartment where the low beams are in case you didn't know and are thinking about doing this.

Also, how do I post pics on here so they are not in the attachment window, so I cam post the pics below each mod?

Signal 07-14-2019 02:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So during the week I was reading about wheels, I really want SCS F5's but since it is not a top priority and 285/70/17 will fit on the stock wheels and the SCS's I just plasti dipped them, I did the same thing to the Xterra wheels and it lasted 3+ years, so if they last 2 years I will be happy because getting new wheels is in that time frame. Here are some pics.

I am also shopping for sliders, tires and a front bumper. I have no clue how to weld but I really want a coastal offroad bumper, I love the lines and the high clearance, and I can't seem to find another manufacturer that makes anything close, As for sliders I am just looking for something simple with a kickout. I had P&P Engineering sliders and a hardcore fab front bumper on the X and I love it.

As for tires I am looking at the General Grabbers, I had the A/T2's and they were great, I am now looking at the X3's, I need something that is great in water since we are only 13 miles from the Gulf and there is nothing but water around here. I am also interested in Cooper SST pros or max's I guess and I am waiting to hear about the Goodyear MT/R's. I was talking to someone in a off road group and he said just get some treadwright mud dogs, but I don't know how I feel about re-treads, I know Ryan Miller and he had them on his Xterra for years and swore by them.

Signal 07-14-2019 02:48 PM

Re-Served!

pointman 07-16-2019 01:05 AM

Hi. I am not sure of "build thread" etiquette, so if I am not supposed to post in this thread, my apologies. Let me know and I will delete.

I have always wanted a ham radio. Mostly because I am a city boy who wants to try it out on my new adventures haha! Just not sure if I will have any clue on how to use it.

I also had the auxbeams but I got rid of them. The output was really bad on the low beams. It projected distance well, but nothing in front of me. Without other cars on the road, it was dangerous.

I like the stock wheels black. I want to get them painted but being without the truck for however long isn't appealing to me. Some have even suggested rattle can'ing them myself. I don't know about that.

Your T4R is looking great though! Thanks for sharing.

Signal 07-16-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointman (Post 3322592)
Hi. I am not sure of "build thread" etiquette, so if I am not supposed to post in this thread, my apologies. Let me know and I will delete.

I have always wanted a ham radio. Mostly because I am a city boy who wants to try it out on my new adventures haha! Just not sure if I will have any clue on how to use it.

I also had the auxbeams but I got rid of them. The output was really bad on the low beams. It projected distance well, but nothing in front of me. Without other cars on the road, it was dangerous.

I like the stock wheels black. I want to get them painted but being without the truck for however long isn't appealing to me. Some have even suggested rattle can'ing them myself. I don't know about that.

Your T4R is looking great though! Thanks for sharing.

We used to live in Cicago and that is where I got my license. The plasti dip is rattle can, and when I sell the wheels I can peal it off if the buyer doesn't want it. The Aux beams run hot that is my only concern, they are perfect in the lighting department.

PaulB-2006 T4R 07-16-2019 04:35 PM

Welcome to 4Runnner Signal. Great start and it sounds like you know what you are doing. I see you had a wrap on the hood of your Xterra, you will likely want one on at least the hood scoop or else you burn out your retina with the sun glare off it. There are several threads in here about it.

Signal 07-16-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulB-2006 T4R (Post 3322954)
Welcome to 4Runnner Signal. Great start and it sounds like you know what you are doing. I see you had a wrap on the hood of your Xterra, you will likely want one on at least the hood scope or else you burn out your retina with the sun glare off it. There are several threads in here about it.

My wife is the manager of the local bank, so I have one of her customers that does wraps. I just haven't had time to go see her. I am also trying to decide on the whole hood or just the scoop.

Sliders, tires and a front bumper are next. I am debating getting the ARB skids. I read the thread about them and I like them for their lightweight and since I have 4-5 years of free oil changes at the dealer it can be their problem to get it off.

I really want a Coastal Offroad front bumper but no one in my area wants the job. I have been talking to a few other bigger companies and I might be taling the 4Runner West for some armor.

The only thing I am actually researching on here is tires I have narrowed it down to Goodyear MT/R, BFG KM3, General X3, and Cooper SST Max. There is a ton of water here by the Gulf so water performance is number 1 ish.

Louisiana Overland 07-16-2019 07:37 PM

Id like to see photos and get more info on the HAM set up as well. I am wanting to get one but dontcreally know where to start.

Signal 07-16-2019 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisiana Overland (Post 3323023)
Id like to see photos and get more info on the HAM set up as well. I am wanting to get one but dontcreally know where to start.

I have a HAM study guide I'll give you. I took 1 pic of it today for a facebook group. Here is a pic of the face plate. The actual box is mounted under the drivers seat.. I can take more pics, just tell me what you want.....

pointman 07-16-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3322938)
We used to live in Cicago and that is where I got my license. The plasti dip is rattle can, and when I sell the wheels I can peal it off if the buyer doesn't want it. The Aux beams run hot that is my only concern, they are perfect in the lighting department.

I meant spray paint. Supposedly it comes out nice. Just not my cup of tea. How durable is plastidip? I'm surprised you have had better luck with the Auxbeams. I don't think the heat is an issue. They all give off a decent amount of heat and I searched the forum before installing, and I didn't run into any instances of people having issues because of said heat.

Kungfujerry 07-17-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3321798)
...Also, how do I post pics on here so they are not in the attachment window, so I cam post the pics below each mod?

To post full-size pictures on here, use an image hosting service like imgur. Upload your photos to there, then get the .jpg link from the image hosting website for the photo you want to attach. Use the image button on here (button looks like two mountains and the sun) to paste the image url for your photo.

Louisiana Overland 07-17-2019 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3323054)
I have a HAM study guide I'll give you. I took 1 pic of it today for a facebook group. Here is a pic of the face plate. The actual box is mounted under the drivers seat.. I can take more pics, just tell me what you want.....

I have stereo equipment under both front seats. I am pretty sure I could put the box under the back seat and face plate somewhere on my RAM mount tree I installed for ipad/navigation. Id like to see photos of antenna location with details of what antenna you use and what sort of reception and transmission do you get? How did you route antenna wiring etc. i will probably need an external speaker if I put it under the rear seat also.

Signal 07-17-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisiana Overland (Post 3323175)
I have stereo equipment under both front seats. I am pretty sure I could put the box under the back seat and face plate somewhere on my RAM mount tree I installed for ipad/navigation. Id like to see photos of antenna location with details of what antenna you use and what sort of reception and transmission do you get? How did you route antenna wiring etc. i will probably need an external speaker if I put it under the rear seat also.

When I get some time I will post some pics I put a short antenna on the roof, and ran the cable through the back along/under the seats. I didn't want a huge antenna, this is a low profile one.

Louisiana Overland 07-17-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3323290)
When I get some time I will post some pics I put a short antenna on the roof, and ran the cable through the back along/under the seats. I didn't want a huge antenna, this is a low profile one.

Hows the performance with a short antenna?