Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2008 V8 undercarriage (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/275313-2008-v8-undercarriage.html)

Juice88 07-17-2019 06:32 PM

2008 V8 undercarriage

4 Attachment(s)
I am strongly looking to buy a 2008 V8 with 80k miles. Carfax is clean, one owner. Even though the car is in CA, it appears it was picked up via auction from Massachusetts. I asked the rep to send pics of the underside and this is what he sends over. What do you guys think? Clearly coated, but this is my first 4runner so I am trying to ask every question in the book (without knowing a WHOLE lot). It’s basically this and cigarette smell according to the dealer that have me hesitating. Hopefully I can use both to negotiate a tad.

Jdevtac 07-17-2019 07:34 PM

Boroscope it or walk. Outside has clear surface rust that’s been spray painted as you already mentioned but no telling what the inside of the frame is doing.

Check the front auxiliary crossmember where the front skid mounts, that rots pretty damn quick/often. Check the section of frame near the front cab mounts. Check the area near the rear lower arms (rots out) and also check the rear crossmember.

By check I mean whack it with a hammer to see if you get a nice ting or hollow thud, and screwdriver poke it if it’s suspect.

Otherwise hard pass on a rust belt vehicle seeing as your in Cali. You should be able to find a better rust free option where you are at.

Bumbo 07-17-2019 07:56 PM

Literally the first thing that popped into my head is it looked like it was painted and they are trying to hide rust. That rear diff housing and many other places are pretty telling.

I’m not really a desperate buyer when it comes to even a V8 4Runner. I would pass if you can’t do a thorough inspection, and pick it up at the right price on top of that.

Juice88 07-17-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdevtac (Post 3323678)
Boroscope it or walk. Outside has clear surface rust that’s been spray painted as you already mentioned but no telling what the inside of the frame is doing.

Check the front auxiliary crossmember where the front skid mounts, that rots pretty damn quick/often. Check the section of frame near the front cab mounts. Check the area near the rear lower arms (rots out) and also check the rear crossmember.

By check I mean whack it with a hammer to see if you get a nice ting or hollow thud, and screwdriver poke it if it’s suspect.

Otherwise hard pass on a rust belt vehicle seeing as your in Cali. You should be able to find a better rust free option where you are at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumbo (Post 3323691)
Literally the first thing that popped into my head is it looked like it was painted and they are trying to hide rust. That rear diff housing and many other places are pretty telling.

I’m not really a desperate buyer when it comes to even a V8 4Runner. I would pass if you can’t do a thorough inspection, and pick it up at the right price on top of that.

Thanks for the input guys. I actually thought it looked pretty good aside from some surface rust, so that goes to show my little experience and low mechanical knowledge.

I did put a deposit on the vehicle, so I have 3 days to think it over. The other thing is, it's 5 hours north of me so I'll have to head there with an intention to buy it, or not.

Question- the fact that it's already at a Toyota dealership, could I trust them more than a used car dealer? Or could I at least use their shop as a trusted second opinion?

Monkey Wrench 07-17-2019 11:34 PM

Pass on it since you’re not in a rush. Look at the rusted bolts on the transfer case- every repair and mod will be a battle with seized bolts/broken bolts as you try to remove parts.

Hold off for a 4Runner that didn’t spend any time in the northeast and other rust belt areas. Unless you enjoy spending quality time with a torch and busting your knuckles when removing bolts! You’ll also pay more for repairs if you don’t do the work since it’ll take much longer for a shop to work on it.

Don’t trust a Toyota dealer any more than a random used car dealer, unless you’ve taken your trucks there a lot in the past with good experiences.

Juice88 07-18-2019 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench (Post 3323787)
Pass on it since you’re not in a rush. Look at the rusted bolts on the transfer case- every repair and mod will be a battle with seized bolts/broken bolts as you try to remove parts.

Hold off for a 4Runner that didn’t spend any time in the northeast and other rust belt areas. Unless you enjoy spending quality time with a torch and busting your knuckles when removing bolts! You’ll also pay more for repairs if you don’t do the work since it’ll take much longer for a shop to work on it.

Don’t trust a Toyota dealer any more than a random used car dealer, unless you’ve taken your trucks there a lot in the past with good experiences.

Well since I just relocated to LA and don’t have a car, I sort of very much am in a rush, lol.

I see so many 2WD for sale out here but thats not gonna fly.

Gatafly 07-18-2019 07:45 AM

Its from MA so I would walk away. I got mine from there in 2011 and it looked pretty good, but it I am now having to patch the frame. It doesn't help I live in MN, but I have taken care of it the best I can. It is rusting from the inside out and MA uses a ton of salt. If your in a hurry, get a junker and buy some time until you can get the right one.

Juice88 07-18-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatafly (Post 3323873)
Its from MA so I would walk away. I got mine from there in 2011 and it looked pretty good, but it I am now having to patch the frame. It doesn't help I live in MN, but I have taken care of it the best I can. It is rusting from the inside out and MA uses a ton of salt. If your in a hurry, get a junker and buy some time until you can get the right one.

Good to know. I don't want this to turn into a money pit.

phqduphead 07-18-2019 07:26 PM

Walk away! Look for something in Arizona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumbo 07-18-2019 07:37 PM

All car manufactures should have a Rustbelt Edition which is sold exclusively in the appropriate territory.

Perhaps it could be sold with additional rust prevention measures, but really it makes it infinity easier for me to avoid ever buying one.

alextmullis 07-18-2019 09:27 PM

You can see the rust flaking/bubbling under the coating. No way