Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   ARB Compressor Wiring (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/275329-arb-compressor-wiring.html)

amnt 07-18-2019 09:47 AM

ARB Compressor Wiring

Does anyone know a hot wire on the passenger side that I can tap into for the switch for an ARB compressor?

I am installing an ARB compressor in the engine bay on the passenger side. I would like to wire the switch in the engine bay as well.

I have done several searches but have not been able to find any information other than tapping into the fuse box for the power. I would prefer not to have to run the wire around the engine bay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rageandlove 07-18-2019 11:38 AM

Having just read about 50 threads on compressor installs (preparing to do the same thing myself), the only ones I found that had passenger-side that didn't run the wire around the engine bay had a second battery. Example.

Not having a second battery, I'm going driver side to keep the wiring short.

BTW, what switch are you using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amnt (Post 3323940)
Does anyone know a hot wire on the passenger side that I can tap into for the switch for an ARB compressor?

I am installing an ARB compressor in the engine bay on the passenger side. I would like to wire the switch in the engine bay as well.

I have done several searches but have not been able to find any information other than tapping into the fuse box for the power. I would prefer not to have to run the wire around the engine bay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BobsTrail 07-18-2019 12:49 PM

The compressor takes a lot of power. You need to run a separate wire to the battery and use a relay as a switch. Most switches will not handle the current load.

amnt 07-18-2019 02:56 PM

ARB Compressor Wiring

I am using the switch that came with the ARB unit.

The compressor itself has a heavier gauge wire with inline fuses that will be connected directly to the battery. The switch only has a light 16ga wire that is part of the harness but is different than the wiring to the compressor. (I am using the supplied wiring harness that came with the compressor).

Are the 2 smaller gauge wires only for the switch illumination?

rageandlove 07-18-2019 07:19 PM

I would be a bit concerned about that switch being dust and water resistant, as I believe it's designed for in-cab use, no?

Thread here about wiring directly without using the harness (or more specifically taking it apart and using some of it.) Also a describes a environment-proof switch used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amnt (Post 3324145)
I am using the switch that came with the ARB unit.

The compressor itself has a heavier gauge wire with inline fuses that will be connected directly to the battery. The switch only has a light 16ga wire that is part of the harness but is different than the wiring to the compressor. (I am using the supplied wiring harness that came with the compressor).

Are the 2 smaller gauge wires only for the switch illumination?

amnt 07-19-2019 08:17 AM

Compressor wiring

Thanks guys for all of the input.

I am going to rethink the switch direction.

Happy Trails.

rageandlove 07-19-2019 01:11 PM

Let us know where you end up. I think putting the switch next to the compressor is a smart idea - you need to be there anyway to hook up the hose, it's one less thing to have to punch through your firewall, it can simplify the wiring significantly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amnt (Post 3324508)
Thanks guys for all of the input.

I am going to rethink the switch direction.

Happy Trails.

Kenstaroni 07-19-2019 03:50 PM

I used the power wires that came with the supplied harness to the battery, then added another 12v wire separate and ran it back to the spot on the harness on the passenger side (for the switch). This extra wire came off my blue sea fuse box and is 12v constant.

The harness they include can make things confusing but study the wiring diagram and it will be pretty simple. Switch is not lit when off, and lit when on the way I did mine. You can wire secondary illumination where the switch is lit when compressor is off as well I believe, if so you would want this on a 12v IG source so it's not on all the time. My switch is in the engine bay, no need for it to be lit up when off for me.

rageandlove 07-19-2019 04:12 PM

Thanks @Kenstaroni . Two questions.

1) The power wires you used from the harness had inline fuses, correct?

2) Did you just use the ARB switch included in w the compressor and bolt it to something in the engine compartment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenstaroni (Post 3324761)
I used the power wires that came with the supplied harness to the battery, then added another 12v wire separate and ran it back to the spot on the harness on the passenger side (for the switch). This extra wire came off my blue sea fuse box and is 12v constant.

The harness they include can make things confusing but study the wiring diagram and it will be pretty simple. Switch is not lit when off, and lit when on the way I did mine. You can wire secondary illumination where the switch is lit when compressor is off as well I believe, if so you would want this on a 12v IG source so it's not on all the time. My switch is in the engine bay, no need for it to be lit up when off for me.

Kenstaroni 07-19-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageandlove (Post 3324780)
Thanks @Kenstaroni . Two questions.

1) The power wires you used from the harness had inline fuses, correct?

2) Did you just use the ARB switch included in w the compressor and bolt it to something in the engine compartment?

Hey,

Yes the harness is fused

I used the ARB switch and bought a small single switch ARB bracket from 4wp and mounted it to the compressor

mrblah 07-20-2019 05:21 AM

I ran power to the battery, and ground to the chassis in the engine bay.

For power to at the ARB switch, I tapped it into the de-icer button, because i put the ARB switch right below it.

I used only the supplied wiring kit, and a wire tap for installation. Nothing else.

amnt 07-22-2019 12:21 PM

ARB compressor

Thanks for the info.