Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   New or Used? Buying opportunity. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/275341-new-used-buying-opportunity.html)

MarshallDillon 07-18-2019 02:51 PM

New or Used? Buying opportunity.

Hello all. I've been reading this board for a long time and looking at 4Runners, LandCruisers, Jeeps as well. I have a friend who is selling his wife's 4Runner and wanted to get the group's opinion on a couple of things. First, the vehicle:
2015 SR5 Premium 4WD with 45k miles. Black exterior/tan interior. Black Book wholesale is $28,000 so I'd probably pay him a little over that amount.

My questions:
1. I've been looking at new 4Runners since the depreciation on these rigs is so low, as demonstrated by the price above. However, money is money and this rig has been gently used, not offroaded, and has low miles.
2. I've convinced myself that I need the Trail/Off Road Pro for the rear locker etc. but maybe I don't. Maybe I should go camping etc and see what I need. I'm really looking to camp/overland in the PNW and not rock crawl so maybe the 4WD is plenty.
3. I actually don't like the fake hood scoop that's a plus for the SR5.
4. A new TRD Offroad Pro would be $40K ish, so I could do a lot of cool stuff to this stock rig for way less than the difference.

Any input on the value proposition and on the actual, real world need for the upgraded 4WD bits on the Off Road Pro? Anything I'm missing out on by buying a 2015 (I don't think so).

Thanks everyone. This is a great forum.

JP421 07-18-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshallDillon (Post 3324141)
Hello all. I've been reading this board for a long time and looking at 4Runners, LandCruisers, Jeeps as well. I have a friend who is selling his wife's 4Runner and wanted to get the group's opinion on a couple of things. First, the vehicle:
2015 SR5 Premium 4WD with 45k miles. Black exterior/tan interior. Black Book wholesale is $28,000 so I'd probably pay him a little over that amount.

My questions:
1. I've been looking at new 4Runners since the depreciation on these rigs is so low, as demonstrated by the price above. However, money is money and this rig has been gently used, not offroaded, and has low miles.
2. I've convinced myself that I need the Trail/Off Road Pro for the rear locker etc. but maybe I don't. Maybe I should go camping etc and see what I need. I'm really looking to camp/overland in the PNW and not rock crawl so maybe the 4WD is plenty.
3. I actually don't like the fake hood scoop that's a plus for the SR5.
4. A new TRD Offroad Pro would be $40K ish, so I could do a lot of cool stuff to this stock rig for way less than the difference.

Any input on the value proposition and on the actual, real world need for the upgraded 4WD bits on the Off Road Pro? Anything I'm missing out on by buying a 2015 (I don't think so).

Thanks everyone. This is a great forum.

Stock SR5s are extremely capable. If you just plan on camping and overlanding it would do the job well and save you money.

PS. Its not a fake hood scoop, it just doesn't do anything lol

LandCruiser 07-18-2019 03:03 PM

28k is a LOT for a 2015 SR5 already off the warranty.

nb rob 07-18-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP421 (Post 3324148)

PS. Its not a fake hood scoop, it just doesn't do anything lol

that made my day

MarshallDillon 07-18-2019 03:15 PM

Ha! I should have said "non-functional" hood scoop!

MarshallDillon 07-18-2019 03:16 PM

Appreciate the comment on price LandCruiser. I'll check other sources.

pointman 07-18-2019 04:35 PM

45k is a few years of use. And it has no warranty. And you don't know what sort of maintenance and use it has seen. For the low depreciation, new seems like money well spent to me.

PaulB-2006 T4R 07-18-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshallDillon (Post 3324155)
Ha! I should have said "non-functional" hood scoop!

No it functions, to burn your retina.

OP: Any 4Runner is nice but being a SR5 Premium is a bonus with the extra goodies. Do not worry about he miles, the engines and transmissions are solid, 28k is just breaking it in. Also The 4WD system is more than capable and the likelihood of actually using the locker is minimal unless you are really going really deep into off roading. For me I got a Trail, now TRD Off Road because of the interior color and it was a 2016 on the lot in March 2017 with deep discounts and the MGM color was the color I wanted.

kenwilliams0803 07-18-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandCruiser (Post 3324149)
28k is a LOT for a 2015 SR5 already off the warranty.

I paid $26k for my 2012 with 50k 2.5 years ago, so I'd say it's maybe close to where I ended up. Mine's also a black/tan leather SR5 premium so it's almost the exact same vehicle and almost the same mileage too, just 3 years older and happened almost 3 years ago. If you want a warranty you just go buy one for $30k+.

MarshallDillon 07-18-2019 06:44 PM

I'm not worried about not having a warranty and I know the maintenance was done because I know the seller well. I think I would just put on some decent AT tires and get going. The only other issue is that it's in Texas and I'm now in Oregon so...road trip!

BobsTrail 07-18-2019 08:13 PM

My 2013 Trail with 62K has seen some rough off-road, hours of dirt roads, sand and snow. No problems, no issues, no repairs. I have used the locker very few times and probably did not need it.

Save the money for family trips and family fun, enjoy doing it in a 4Runner.

As many others said - the SR5 will do very well for most people.

pointman 07-18-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshallDillon (Post 3324279)
I'm not worried about not having a warranty and I know the maintenance was done because I know the seller well. I think I would just put on some decent AT tires and get going. The only other issue is that it's in Texas and I'm now in Oregon so...road trip!

Sounds like you already have your mind made up.

TRD PANTHER 07-18-2019 11:37 PM

I keep my Toyota's for a long time, so, I always buy them new. 36 years of Toyota 4WD trucks now. It is much nicer to start with something new that you owned first. When issues arise along the way and knowing where and what the history of your vehicle has been through is beneficial, IMO. Especially a 4WD or high performance car. If you're unsure of the purchase, or are planning on selling in a few years, then used may be ok.

Ventil8 07-19-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRD PANTHER (Post 3324434)
I keep my Toyota's for a long time, so, I always buy them new. 36 years of Toyota 4WD trucks now. It is much nicer to start with something new that you owned first. When issues arise along the way and knowing where and what the history of your vehicle has been through is beneficial, IMO. Especially a 4WD or high performance car. If you're unsure of the purchase, or are planning on selling in a few years, then used may be ok.

This is my 1st Toyota and I bought it new. Plan is to keep it 20 years. I have all the maintenance records and peace of mind that it wasn't abused:) Although, I also tell people to buy used if they don't plan on keeping it for a long time.

MarshallDillon 07-19-2019 09:16 AM

A good used car usually makes financial sense, however, 4Runners have amazing resale so the value proposition is tougher to judge. I'm leaning toward a new OffRoad Pro if I can find a good dealer to work with in the Portland area.

Thanks everyone!