Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   6th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Jeep Gladiator or waiting for 6th Gen 4runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/275531-jeep-gladiator-waiting-6th-gen-4runner.html)

poorbong 07-23-2019 08:02 PM

Jeep Gladiator or waiting for 6th Gen 4runner

Just sold my 5th Gen and picked up a GS-F. In the market again for a sport utility...what you guys think? Should I go w the current Jeep Gladiator or wait to see if there will be a new 6th Gen 4runner?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

thennen 07-23-2019 08:06 PM

Depends on what you want. Gladiator and 4Runner occupy two different niches, so not an apples-to-apples comparison. What are you after?

poorbong 07-23-2019 10:29 PM

Live in southern CA so looking for something rugged that I'll be able to go in the snow, dirt, camping and off-roading once or twice a month, kinda regret selling my 4runner which was a perfect vehicle...want to wait to see what 6th will look like but at the same time I dont know if I can wait for two years.

wcjeep 07-24-2019 12:27 AM

Might want to test drive the Gladiator. Some owner reviews mention it's underpowered. Jeep has had problems sealing the Freedom Tops from rain. There is a not well advertised lease deal on the Gladiator. It was around $150/month. It became popular and Jeep hid the details. Rear overhang and breakover angles seem to be problematic. There are different axle widths. Rubicon and Max tow package are wider than others.

2020 4runner with Toyota Safety Sense would be nice.

rdruss 07-24-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcjeep (Post 3326896)
Might want to test drive the Gladiator. Some owner reviews mention it's underpowered. Jeep has had problems sealing the Freedom Tops from rain. There is a not well advertised lease deal on the Gladiator. It was around $150/month. It became popular and Jeep hid the details. Rear overhang and breakover angles seem to be problematic. There are different axle widths. Rubicon and Max tow package are wider than others.

2020 4runner with Toyota Safety Sense would be nice.

Besides that it may not be the ugliest vehicle I've seen but it's in the top two!

5thToy 07-24-2019 03:02 PM

For offroad purposes, I note that the Gladiator wheelbase is 27" longer than the 4Runner. This would be limiting on trails in my opinion.

That said, they are not comparable vehicles as mentioned and you are talking about waiting on a next generation 4Runner that no one can tell you a thing about.

Gecko 07-25-2019 02:47 PM

More importantly, can we get pics of the GS F?

That is my all-time favorite sport sedan.

Toffees 07-25-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorbong (Post 3326823)
Live in southern CA so looking for something rugged that I'll be able to go in the snow, dirt, camping and off-roading once or twice a month, kinda regret selling my 4runner which was a perfect vehicle...want to wait to see what 6th will look like but at the same time I dont know if I can wait for two years.

If you regret selling your 5g, why not buy another? It's not like it's that similar to the Gladiator.

nimby 07-26-2019 06:42 PM

Get the 4Runner.

The Gladiator is way overpriced.

gtt99 07-26-2019 09:01 PM

Gladiator looks very goofy. Not a truck, not an SUV, completely FUBAR.

DMC12Runner 07-27-2019 12:04 PM

I happen to like the Gladiator but not enough to buy one. Rear seat is cramped, and the rear door how it's angled at the rear fender just looks goofy. The normal unlimited rear doors are not like this. Once you notice it, you can't unsee it. However, if you are in the market now or within the next year or two, Gladiator it is because I doubt there will be any 6th generation 4Runner info even out. We are two months away from the 2020s hitting the lots and still don't have pricing.

osugsxr 07-28-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorbong (Post 3326767)
Just sold my 5th Gen and picked up a GS-F. In the market again for a sport utility...what you guys think? Should I go w the current Jeep Gladiator or wait to see if there will be a new 6th Gen 4runner?

Gladiator if you can get in on the two year lease special, residual value of that will be solid. Could possibly end up breaking even or making some money on that. Then once the 6th gen is out go with that.

LarsBars 07-29-2019 01:20 AM

Gladiator if you need a bed, but don't underestimate an enclosed cargo space. What if you need to bring a brand new TV home in the rain?

Solid front axle is great off road but are you really wheeling a brand new rig that hard? A lot of people will run out of skill earlier than a lightly modded 4runner runs out of capability. It's also almost 2 and a half feet longer so it'll be pain to park anywhere that might be tight, and that turning radius will be a pain on some trails.

Not to mention FCA's track record for reliability isn't exactly great.

My take? Pre-facelift GX460 [emoji14] V8 and a helluva plush interior! Then you'll get to match your other Lexus!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The4Runner19 07-31-2019 08:40 PM

My wife has a 2018 JLU, it is a pretty nice ride. The Gladiator has its good points and bad. It can tow a lot...if it is optioned right. It looks absolutely hideous with the soft top. That being said, when I started looking at price and options, I went with the 2019 T4R Off-Road premium. I think it was the right choice.

dot_tom 07-31-2019 08:45 PM

Hold out of the the 6th gen, if you can wait a few years. Who knows when it’ll actually come out.

In the mean time enjoy the new car, do some hiking, and wait for the Gladiator hype to die down. Plus they will be releasing new colors as time goes on for the Gladiator.

When 6th gen comes out, check it out and decide then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk