Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Cladding question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/275762-cladding-question.html)

bowrappyo 07-30-2019 03:21 PM

Cladding question

Hi,

I currently have a Jade Mica/Oak 4runner with arb bumper. I am looking into painting the limited cladding either jade mica or just a semi-gloss black. Another option I am looking at is finding black cladding from an SR5 Sport, ala highlander 4runners but have a couple of questions.

1) has anyboy replaced the limited cladding with the less bulky SR5 sport cladding? Is it a direct bolt on?
2) thoughts on painiting limited cladding black and or green? any suggestions of where to go in Los Angeles area?
3) should I just plasti dip the cladding?

Thank gang!

AZben 07-30-2019 04:36 PM

1) has anyboy replaced the limited cladding with the less bulky SR5 sport cladding? Is it a direct bolt on?

Won't bolt on.

2) thoughts on painiting limited cladding black and or green? any suggestions of where to go in Los Angeles area?

I'd say leave it alone. I like the cladding.

If you want, but it won't last. Or look good.

Billxdm 07-31-2019 12:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZben (Post 3330238)

Won't bolt on.

I'd say leave it alone. I like the cladding.

If you want, but it won't last. Or look good.

I have to disagree with number 3. Well half of it.
Does it look good, yes
Will it last. No. Especially in the door sill areas. But I will be adding those vinyl door sill protectors to take care of that.
It was nice to see what it would look like all black. Took 4-5 cans of plasti dip. About a can per coat. Just don’t try and cover on the first coat. The first coat should be light. Just enough to bond to the plastic cladding. Then build up the coverage with each coat from there.

bowrappyo 07-31-2019 01:19 AM

You did a good job sir! Looks pretty solid. with the matte/gloss black combo. vader.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billxdm (Post 3330516)
I have to disagree with number 3. Well half of it.
Does it look good, yes
Will it last. No. Especially in the door sill areas. But I will be adding those vinyl door sill protectors to take care of that.
It was nice to see what it would look like all black. Took 4-5 cans of plasti dip. About a can per coat. Just don’t try and cover on the first coat. The first coat should be light. Just enough to bond to the plastic cladding. Then build up the coverage with each coat from there.

Hepar 07-31-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZben (Post 3330238)

Just to expand a little. Removing the lower door cladding on a limited will expose a bunch of holes in the doors. It is possible (and people have done it), but you'd have to close up those holes or replace the doors. Far easier to go from non-limited cladding to limited cladding than vice versa.