Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   Do you shut your car off while pumping gas? POLL (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/275865-do-you-shut-your-car-off-while-pumping-gas-poll.html)

Ripper238 08-02-2019 02:19 PM

Do you shut your car off while pumping gas? POLL

Do you shut your car off while pumping gas?

In a recent thread that went off topic a debate of turning your car off while filing with gas came up.

There is something like 18 billion refuels a year and though there are a bunch of videos of car fires at the pump out of billions of refills its a small %, but the risk is there nonetheless.

So just curious how many shut there car off when filling or not.

I'm running the poll on another forum and will share the results here too.

Some results from a different forum:

Yes Votes: 71 - 72.4%
no Votes: 10 - 10.2%
sometimes yes/no Votes: 17 - 17.3%

Hepar 08-02-2019 02:44 PM

Offhand I can't think of the last time I've ever seen anyone pumping gas into their car while it was running.

JVC8790 08-02-2019 03:12 PM

I can only recall one time that I have put gas in any vehicle without shutting it off, and it was for the fear that it wouldn't re-start due to a bad starter and we were just trying to limp it home at the time.

Mantilgh 08-02-2019 03:29 PM

Do you shut your car off while pumping gas? POLL

Gasoline, yes.

Large diesel, not in the winter usually.

Yes, I saw the other thread. Never known anyone to not shut their vehicle off while pumping, but I’m sure there are a few. More so where it’s cold.

What about the states where they pump it for you? Do they require you to shut off your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumbo 08-02-2019 03:36 PM

I am extremely confident that I have never once left my vehical running while refueling.

Ripper238 08-02-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantilgh (Post 3332129)
Gasoline, yes.

Yes, I saw the other thread. Never known anyone to not shut their vehicle off while pumping, but I’m sure there are a few. More so where it’s cold.

What about the states where they pump it for you? Do they require you to shut off your vehicle?

Definitely seems to be a more rare thing to let it run. I live in the NE and would never shut down my diesel devilry truck when fueling in the winter, its probably where i got the habit.

I believe NJ is the only state that requires an attendant to pump gas?

nevada 08-02-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantilgh (Post 3332129)
Gasoline, yes.

in my limited experience with this, yes they do.

the only time I don't, is when its very cold, or inclement weather. to keep the windows clear.

JAXJeremy 08-02-2019 04:07 PM

I've lived in Florida for 30 years..when I used to work in outside sales I'd always leave it running when pumping gas..but, I haven't done it in years..funny thing is I actually noticed a guy the other day, pulled up to the pump in his Suburban, looked like some kind of company car, he got out left it running and started pumping gas, so people do still do it..

Zeke588 08-02-2019 06:40 PM

I've never done it. I personally think its a hazard for an event that could be avoided. My Mother in law does it all the time. My wife always says that I'm being a panzy about it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

That being said I work for a distributor for golf/turf equipment, and I seldom shut off a diesel tractor while fueling. (we have diesel and gas pumps in our building specifically for filling equipment)

TK-422 08-03-2019 02:48 AM

If you remove your gas cap while the engine is running on a modern vehicle your computer will start throwing out a bunch of codes. (Not a big rig.)

Common Causes of a Check Engine Light

Among the many reasons that your car’s check engine light turns on are:
• Loose gas cap
• Cracked or otherwise faulty gas cap

first two ha.

AuSeeker 08-03-2019 08:31 AM

I have always turned my vehicles off when fueling up, you burn more gas than you think in the time it takes too fill up if you're close to empty, a lot more than it takes to restart the vehicle and that's not even taking the safety hazard in mind.

If everyone ran their engines while fueling up it would burn millions of gallons of more gas per year than if they shut it down to fuel up, in 2018 in the USA we consumed 391.4 millions of gallons of gas each day, I wonder how many of those gallons were wasted while fueling up!!

How much gasoline does the United States consume? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Ripper238 08-03-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3332376)
I have always turned my vehicles off when fueling up, you burn more gas than you think in the time it takes too fill up if you're close to empty, a lot more than it takes to restart the vehicle and that's not even taking the safety hazard in mind.

If everyone ran their engines while fueling up it would burn millions of gallons of more gas per year than if they shut it down to fuel up, in 2018 in the USA we consumed 391.4 millions of gallons of gas each day, I wonder how many of those gallons were wasted while fueling up!!

How much gasoline does the United States consume? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Yeah it's something like a teaspoon to start up, and a little bit more than a shot glass to run it for 3 minutes.

There are cars that turn off at stop lights since it can save gas by doing so. Though I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself, it'll be a lot of extra wear and tear on the starter. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ripper238 08-04-2019 11:39 AM

Some results from a different forum:

Yes Votes: 71 - 72.4%
no Votes: 10 - 10.2%
sometimes yes/no Votes: 17 - 17.3%

Which jives with what i have seen so far here even though almost everyone voted they do. But have at least observed or know people (or use diesel) that didn't.

Blue109 08-04-2019 09:46 PM

I had and old car with a finicky starter. If I was driving to work or someplace important and I needed gas I would leave it running.

redneckcrawler 08-04-2019 09:55 PM

I leave mine running more often than not. Of all the videos of cars going up while pumping gas, I would almost bet that most were caused by static electricity or a cell phone.