Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   6th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Any chance for manual trans? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/275990-any-chance-manual-trans.html)

FormFunction 08-06-2019 12:59 PM

Any chance for manual trans?

On my Toyota survey on my 19’ purchase I stated my only contention with the vehicle is the lack of a manual transmission and ultimately the Wrangler or new Bronco might replace my truck.

IMO, that option would make this the perfect SUV....

One can hope, but maybe the competition will force the issue?

mesooohoppy 08-06-2019 01:36 PM

i hate to burst your bubble, but no. not going to happen.

there just are not enough people in the US who make enough noise about manuals. hell even some sports cars that have had manuals for the last 20+ years are going away with a manual option (if they havent already done so).

to get toyota to even notice, you would atleast need a few hundred people who submitted the same comment on the same survey. how many people do you realistically said the same thing as you in the last 6 months, nationwide? maybe 5 if youre lucky?

certainly a dark time in america for the third pedal

-someone who loves manuals :(

LandCruiser 08-06-2019 02:39 PM

The Nigerian Prince emailing you to hand over your bank account and routing number has more chance of giving you the 250 million he inherited than Toyota ever again selling a BOF MT SUV in the US.

Not that you would want one, since they ****ed up the TO bearing on 6MT Tacos and FJ Cruisers and refused to own up their mistake.

StockyStock 08-06-2019 07:13 PM

Well, considering the last time the 4runner was manual is nearing 20 years ago, probably not

5thToy 08-06-2019 07:14 PM

I'm gonna have to go with not a chance.

gainman 08-10-2019 04:47 PM

Aside from it not being a good financial decision, the epa shuts this down. The gas mileage is not good enough with the manual.

Bumbo 08-13-2019 04:00 PM

https://i.imgur.com/g1FILDt.jpg?1

Bumbo 08-13-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainman (Post 3336511)
Aside from it not being a good financial decision, the epa shuts this down. The gas mileage is not good enough with the manual.

I think it would be an amazing financial decision… What do you think happens to your resale when you own something a VERY small portion of the user base owns that might be sought after to enthusiasts? It tends to hold its value very well because it’s rare. If Toyota made 5% of the trucks with a MT, I would venture to guess the financial decision to own one would work in your favor when it comes time to sell. I know for a fact I would have bought one, or would have paid a premium to snatch up a used one.

Dillusion 08-13-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumbo (Post 3338193)
I think it would be an amazing financial decision… What do you think happens to your resale when you own something a VERY small portion of the user base owns that might be sought after to enthusiasts? It tends to hold its value very well because it’s rare. If Toyota made 5% of the trucks with a MT, I would venture to guess the financial decision to own one would work in your favor when it comes time to sell. I know for a fact I would have bought one, or would have paid a premium to snatch up a used one.

Pretty sure he meant Toyota in financials not your own.

Bumbo 08-13-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillusion (Post 3338219)
Pretty sure he meant Toyota in financials not your own.

Fair enough, reading it again, I agree with you. Sorry @gainman

I would agree with that sentiment as well. Offerings options and variations for a manufacturer creates additional cost and complexity.

gainman 08-13-2019 11:44 PM

Yes I meant bad financial decision for toyota.

But I counter your other point and say, look at the Tacoma. Manual trans sells for garbage. No one wants them. No one buys them. Ask me how I know

Bumbo 08-14-2019 12:25 PM

Interesting, I would have thought otherwise. I love a manual transmission and always seek them out, but as time goes on it only gets harder and harder to acquire as manufactures just make less. I’ll be honest that most all my manual transmission vehicles were cars…

Perhaps it’s the general user base of new car buyers who are commuters and don’t really care to want or experience manual transmission. Maybe I am a rare breed, I am someone who has always said the driving test should be passed in a manual.

GMZ 08-14-2019 01:27 PM

The T4R would go to unibody before they went manual.

Bumbo 08-14-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMZ (Post 3338724)
The T4R would go to unibody before they went manual.

It kinda already exists... it's called the Highlander

If they went away from a BOF design, there would be little need for the 4R in their lineup.

mscot 08-14-2019 04:38 PM

We've been saying that on this forum for years now, however, look at Honda's Passport, the Cherokee and GC Trail Hawks, that Kia thing... all Range Rovers...
Lots of so-called Offroad oriented xovers now.

If it weren't for that global platform Toyota is preparing to release for BOF vehicles, then a unibody 4runner would be a definite risk. As it is, I think we're safe from that, but only bc of that new frame platform and, to a lesser degree, the LC Prado.