Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Which 285/70/17 balance the best (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276052-285-70-17-balance-best.html)

Signal 08-07-2019 08:43 PM

Which 285/70/17 balance the best

So I have been reading about how people are having issues with balancing tires on the toyota wheels. I currently have the Off road wheels and i am looking at General grabbers X3's. my 4runner is at the dealer every week for the steering wheel shake and alignment issues, but if it ever gets fixed I want some 285's I am in the mix looking at Falken Wildpeaks M/T's, Grabber x3's, and maybe some cooper tires. But what seems to be the best to balance?

comtn4x4 08-08-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3334730)
So I have been reading about how people are having issues with balancing tires on the toyota wheels. I currently have the Off road wheels and i am looking at General grabbers X3's. my 4runner is at the dealer every week for the steering wheel shake and alignment issues, but if it ever gets fixed I want some 285's I am in the mix looking at Falken Wildpeaks M/T's, Grabber x3's, and maybe some cooper tires. But what seems to be the best to balance?

I didn't see the General's in a 285/75 on their website? Are you currently having trouble balancing your tires? Reason I ask is it's not necessarily all the tire. Rim can play a part in the problem too.
Sorry no experience with those tires

JPK_NJ 08-08-2019 08:06 AM

I also have a 19 ORP that has been a b*tch to balance / not have any steering vibes. Should have kept stock tires on for a month so I could have felt how it drove normal. Stay away from K02 if you don't want to deal with balance issues. I had one set warranty replaced by BFG for being out of round. My current K02 set was installed w road force balance and 2Kmiles later 3 of them were out of balance again.

t4r_gonzo 08-08-2019 11:12 AM

currently im having a balancing problem with my stock wheels and tires (dunflops) steering vibes at 60mph+ driving me insane !!!!!!!!

Jetboy 08-08-2019 11:20 AM

I can only speak to my own personal experience. Toyo AT2s were basically just square tires. So bad that after about 5 replacement tires plus the original 4 we couldn't get a set to balance so they ended up buying them back and replaced with Cooper AT3. Coopers run smoothly with minimal balancing weight.

Signal 08-08-2019 11:36 AM

Sorry I meant 285/70/17. The 4Runner is 6 months old and they said it's not the wheels they are not bent or warped. The 4Runner gets aligned every week.

nimby 08-08-2019 02:44 PM

My 60mph steering wheel shimmy went away with 285/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T's on Trail Wheels.

No problems with balancing and they drive really nice.

I also have my caster set to 4* in the front.

bewell 08-08-2019 02:51 PM

Had a set of BFG KO2s that couldn't get balanced right at all.. at 65 MPH they were okay but anything over 80 was horrible, and I have a tough time driving under 80. Probably doesn't help that I get my tires balanced at my local mexican shop so things might not get communicated very effectively.

jrandom 08-08-2019 03:34 PM

Can't speak much for the rubber but I've got a second set of OEM Trail wheels with 285 MT/R's on them and the wheels have more rim weights on them than the tire balance weights. One wheel has 4+ ounces!

mscot 08-08-2019 03:56 PM

I have wildpeak ats no problems with balancing so far

83Mule 08-08-2019 08:38 PM

Every tire made is it's own issue.....brand, size etc. I have 275 BFG A/T's and they went 30K before I had them RF balanced after I plugged one for a flat (bolt about 2'' long!) They are smooth up to 85 again! I have a set of 285 C's waiting for these to wear out. I have run BFG Mud and A/T's for just shy of 40 years and they balance as well as anything else I have had. Get the Tire you want and deal with it IMO.

MAST4R 08-08-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3335007)
I can only speak to my own personal experience. Toyo AT2s were basically just square tires. So bad that after about 5 replacement tires plus the original 4 we couldn't get a set to balance so they ended up buying them back and replaced with Cooper AT3. Coopers run smoothly with minimal balancing weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3335027)
Sorry I meant 285/70/17. The 4Runner is 6 months old and they said it's not the wheels they are not bent or warped. The 4Runner gets aligned every week.

I don't know for sure, but I have noticed that usually people who complain run tires much heavier than stock. Jetboy is an exception with those P-metric AT II. I had AT II on a Subaru and really loved them till 20k when they got noisy. His sounds like a quality control issue.

When I ran LTD Ko2 on my Outback it could never be perfectly balanced. That tire was 39.5lb vs 24lb for stock. There was always a vibration above 60. It was not terrible, but could not be ignored. Never an issue with multiple lighter ATs.

On the 4Runner, I won't be shocked if most people complaining have tires well north of 50lb a piece. MT tires are usually E-load only and very heavy, some push 60lb and over. The exception is 255 75 17. If you forgo that half an inch of clearance the 285 70 provides over 255 75, which makes zero difference on trail, you can get LTC Destination MT2 with a 3-ply sidewall for 47lb! That's about the only MT that catches my eye and this is the reason.

I run 47lb P-metric Wildpeaks and they are silky smooth. Re-balanced them today just due to time and heavy offroad use, but there was only a very minor vibration at high interstate speeds after some serious offroad trips.

I have no idea if there is a direct connection between using D/E on lighter vehicles and balancing issues or if it is merely a function of weight.

I may be wrong about weight as well, of course...

EDIT: the just released Destination XT is 50lb in LTE in 285 70 17. So maybe that is a tire to try if you really want that size. I am very tempted by that tire in 255 75 17, LTC, 40lb!

Draggin 08-08-2019 09:32 PM

Have any of you tried weight beads inside the tires vs tire weights? I've done okay on my BFG KO2 all terrains rated E 285/70/R17. I beat the ever loving hell out of them in the rocky desert south west.

It wasn't until I allowed the shop to rotate in the new spare with 3 older ones that I had problems. Now it's just a 4R vibration edition as the tires cupped. But that was my stupid.

redneckj 08-08-2019 11:20 PM

We mount and balance about 6-8 sets of Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/17's per month. NO issues and NO complaints.

Personally I run the Wildpeak AT3W 275/70/17 and they have always been smooth.

Tejas 08-08-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83Mule (Post 3335433)
Every tire made is it's own issue.....brand, size etc. I have 275 BFG A/T's and they went 30K before I had them RF balanced after I plugged one for a flat (bolt about 2'' long!) They are smooth up to 85 again! I have a set of 285 C's waiting for these to wear out. I have run BFG Mud and A/T's for just shy of 40 years and they balance as well as anything else I have had. Get the Tire you want and deal with it IMO.

I agree, we currently have two trucks with KO2's and zero issues with over 30K miles combined. Rotate every 5,000 miles and Road Force balanced at my local Discount Tire. I have had BFG MT's and AT's in the past and I have never had any issues with balancing on those tires either. I have never understood these claims of BFG's not balancing well. I do however, agree that the 4Runner and Toyota trucks in general, are prone to being very touchy when it comes to alignments and tires. Like you said, each tire brand/model/size has its own set of issues.