Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Antenna question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/276152-antenna-question.html)

TheShowtime 08-10-2019 12:43 PM

Antenna question

Hey guys I just bought a new to me 01 4Runner Sport, it has an after market head unit and the antenna only goes down when I take the keys out of the ignition. I don’t want my antenna to get messed up going thru an automatic car wash. So my question is do I have to put the transmission and the transfer case In neutral with the keys out to go thru the car wash safely so my antenna doesn’t get messed up? And is it ok to take the key out the ignition with those settings? Thanks guys

plcfcng 08-10-2019 01:19 PM

What I did is I ordered a switch off off amazon pulled the radio head out there is a wire for power antenna just put the switch inline and mount it where u like. I put mine in the little pocket at the back under the cigarette lighter. The color of the wire maybe marked with a tag on the wiring harness the 3 that i have done were.
:lever:

MaineRunna 08-10-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShowtime (Post 3336413)
Hey guys I just bought a new to me 01 4Runner Sport, it has an after market head unit and the antenna only goes down when I take the keys out of the ignition. I don’t want my antenna to get messed up going thru an automatic car wash. So my question is do I have to put the transmission and the transfer case In neutral with the keys out to go thru the car wash safely so my antenna doesn’t get messed up? And is it ok to take the key out the ignition with those settings? Thanks guys

If it is an automatic you won't be able to take the key out unless it is in park, but you can put a 5 spd or the transfer case in neutral with the key out

TheShowtime 08-10-2019 02:05 PM

Yeah it’s an automatic, so do you guys think my antenna will be fine going thru the car wash while it’s up?

Twisted Sid 08-10-2019 05:47 PM

With the key on, try turning the head unit off and see if the antenna drops. I've never seen one that keeps it's up when powered off. Usually on aftermarket radios, you have to hold the button down for a few seconds until it turns off completely.

With that said, I did the switch thing mentioned above and it was very simple.

Ghostrider 08-10-2019 06:18 PM

I had a unit that kept it up all the time. It was ten years ago and made the unit just did not have an antenna powered wire at all. I guess I could have cycled it down with some extra work but I didn;t like to unit so I swapped it out after a year or so.

Ron Helmuth 08-10-2019 06:44 PM

don't do it

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShowtime (Post 3336444)
Yeah it’s an automatic, so do you guys think my antenna will be fine going thru the car wash while it’s up?

Don't go through one of those car washes with the slapping straps of fabric-or it will snap the mast.

As Twisted Sid advises-turn the head unit off to have the antenna retract.

plcfcng 08-11-2019 06:36 PM

The other reason to put the switch in is I hate hearing the motor cycle each time i turn the key on. I am listening to Pandora most of the time anyway.:brushteeth:

toyotaspeed90 08-12-2019 10:11 AM

Whether the antenna goes down when powered off, or even by switching sources, will depend on the radio and how it was wired.

Aftermarket stereos have a 12v switched power for the antenna and amplifier. Sometimes these are separate (but not wired as such).

It's too bad that Toyota didn't put the up/down switch (also making it variable height) from the Landcruiser into the T4R. It's an odd switch that's quite useful at times.

I also would suggest... don't take it through car washes.

TheShowtime 08-12-2019 10:15 PM

Ok guys thanks for all the input! Probably going to just get a new head unit because the one that came with the 4Runner is old.

plcfcng 08-13-2019 06:52 PM

I really like Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV prices are excellent support is even better.:jaw: