Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Apple Carplay and install recommendations for 04 Limited (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/276153-apple-carplay-install-recommendations-04-limited.html)

nicheel8 08-10-2019 12:44 PM

Apple Carplay and install recommendations for 04 Limited

Just got back from a business trip where I drove around a rental vehicle with an Apple compatible stereo receiver. After I got back and jumped into my 04 Limited with JBL I need a new deck.

Questions: Any recommendations and advice on installing a new Carplay compatible car stereos? I currently have the OEM JBL receiver with a Fosgate subwoofer mod.

I found this Alpine on Crutchfield (open-box) for $265. Alpine ILX-W650 Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield

And any tips and tricks on installation.

phatcheeks 08-10-2019 05:17 PM

I have the same one, but for android auto compatibility. It's alright. I had a Sony xav previously and I like that one better. It think its cheaper too, but for some reason the android auto one is a lot more expensive so I bought the alpine.

Install is straight forward. You can get everything from crutchfield, they will even send you instructions and for an extra $20 they wire everything for you so it's just plug and play.

nicheel8 08-10-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatcheeks (Post 3336520)
I have the same one, but for android auto compatibility. It's alright. I had a Sony xav previously and I like that one better. It think its cheaper too, but for some reason the android auto one is a lot more expensive so I bought the alpine.

Install is straight forward. You can get everything from crutchfield, they will even send you instructions and for an extra $20 they wire everything for you so it's just plug and play.

Thanks for the reply. Why did you like the Sony better?

Terminator03 08-11-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicheel8 (Post 3336575)

I can’t answer for him as I have no experience with the other stereo, but I installed the XAV-AX1000 (from Crutchfield) in my daughter’s Camry awhile back, and its an awesome unit at a very good price. I will be adding one to my 4Runner as well at some point. It just hasn’t been a huge priority since I have a really nice Pioneer single DIN with Bluetooth currently which works perfectly for hands free calling, iTunes streaming, etc. The main reason to upgrade for me is to have the screen for backup camera, and having CarPlay is just icing on the cake. The only downside to the 1000 is that it only has a front USB port, so you can’t do a hidden, remote port for the phone hookup, like you could with the AX100, but the processing speed in the 1000 is much faster, so I guess it depends what’s more important to the individual. Not sure if you like a physical knob for volume, or not, but the AX1000 has that which a lot of others do not. I personally like that feature.

jrm 08-11-2019 11:18 AM

$20 and they wire everything? steering wheel controls included?

BOFFROAD 08-11-2019 05:43 PM

I have been thinking about getting that Sony XAV AX1000. I plan to also purchase the kit on Crutchfield that lets you continue to use the factory JBL amp and steering wheel controls. My biggest concern is sound quality. I think the system sounds good for being something from the factory in 2005 and do not want to lose any sound quality. I installed a Chinese Joying android unit before and the sound quality sucked so I took it out and returned it. Do either of you know how it will sound with the new unit?

phatcheeks 08-11-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicheel8 (Post 3336575)

I just liked the layout better. It was a bit more colorful, and you can also change the background color. The alpine also has a parking brake sensor, so you need to have the parking brake applied to change some of the settings.

phatcheeks 08-11-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm (Post 3336801)
$20 and they wire everything? steering wheel controls included?

Yes, I think it was like 25ish. You have to buy the the steering wheel kit but yes they wired that too.
I usually do the wiring my self but I was lazy and had them do it. They only messed up on one wire. Just make sure to double check.

nicheel8 08-11-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatcheeks (Post 3337077)
Yes, I think it was like 25ish. You have to buy the the steering wheel kit but yes they wired that too.
I usually do the wiring my self but I was lazy and had them do it. They only messed up on one wire. Just make sure to double check.

That's correct. I called them today and they charge $25 to prewire the receiver and steering wheel adapter.

thetibbs 08-11-2019 09:32 PM

I'd go with Sony too, I worked for Crutchfield for 10 years (they're based here in VA) and while I love Kenwood and Alpine the Sony units always performed better when using Bluetooth. They would connect much faster and had fewer problems pairing. That being said if you're always going to plug in for Carplay then the Bluetooth performance is somewhat moot. I had the previous model Sony the AX100 in my 3rd gen and it was great.

Jdevtac 08-11-2019 09:38 PM

I installed the Sony XAV 1000 last winter as it was on sale for Black Friday or something and haven’t been thoroughly impressed. Pretty limited settings menu, can’t change background wallpaper, Bluetooth is crappy sometimes on initial startup of the vehicle. Also as mentioned it only has a single front USB port. The older XAV100 had a rear port, would’ve made a cleaner install.

I knew “most” of this at purchase and have been pleased enough otherwise. My 4Runner is also technically my wife’s vehicle so I don’t make use of the headunit as often as my truck.

Also I’m young but not that young so every now and then I’ll grab a CD to throw in and remember it’s a media unit only lol.

I will say the wired Apple CarPlay is great. I’d prefer a newer unit that supports wireless Apple CarPlay though.

Overall wouldn’t buy it again.

nicheel8 08-11-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetibbs (Post 3337103)
I'd go with Sony too, I worked for Crutchfield for 10 years (they're based here in VA) and while I love Kenwood and Alpine the Sony units always performed better when using Bluetooth. They would connect much faster and had fewer problems pairing. That being said if you're always going to plug in for Carplay then the Bluetooth performance is somewhat moot. I had the previous model Sony the AX100 in my 3rd gen and it was great.

You guys are killing me. I was about to pull the trigger on the Alpine because of the USB in the back. I'm not worried about the background and I have a Proclip mount that connects to my existing radio, so i really don't use Bluetooth.

I'm also considering the Sony XAV-AX5000, but it's an extra $50.

I've gotta be careful. I've already done the subwoofer mod, next will be the receiver, and if I'm not careful I'll be buying another Fosgate amp and new speakers.

nicheel8 08-11-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironleague (Post 3337122)
99 4Runner 3.4 with this noise while accelerating at about 2000rpm.

Video of the sound: YouTube

Thanks for the forum and to anyone who can help identify the sound or potential issues.

Ironleague - you should post this question on the 3rd Gen Forum. You will probably get more responses.

jtomm00 08-12-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicheel8 (Post 3336416)
Just got back from a business trip where I drove around a rental vehicle with an Apple compatible stereo receiver. After I got back and jumped into my 04 Limited with JBL I need a new deck.

Questions: Any recommendations and advice on installing a new Carplay compatible car stereos? I currently have the OEM JBL receiver with a Fosgate subwoofer mod.

I found this Alpine on Crutchfield (open-box) for $265. Alpine ILX-W650 Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield

And any tips and tricks on installation.

I bought the exact same head unit (even at the open-box price). I expect it in the next day or two and am hoping to install it (and a couple of dash bulbs) this weekend. I went back and forth bt the ILX-W650 and the Sony XAV-AX1000. Decided to go with the bigger capacitive screen (also cheaper than the Sony AX5000 that has a comparable screen).

Bumbo 08-12-2019 07:49 PM

I'm looking to upgrade soon too... the Pioneer offerings I like a lot.