Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Pre-trip maintanence (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/276192-pre-trip-maintanence.html)

Sgt. Rock 08-11-2019 03:43 PM

Pre-trip maintanence

We are taking a cross country trip, NJ to Vegas then to the West Coast to San Fran, Yosemite NP. Then back to Vegas. Then home via Winslow AZ. I have a 2011 4Runner with about 75K miles...original hoses, belt and battery. It runs great, but the trip will probably be 7500 miles...some through the desert.

Any suggestions for maintenance over and above what the manual suggests at 75K? I was thinking of replacing the hoses, belt and battery. Tires (Cooper A-3) have about 37000 miles but look like they'll go another 8000.

Any help much appreciated.

AuSeeker 08-11-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock (Post 3336940)
We are taking a cross country trip, NJ to Vegas then to the West Coast to San Fran, Yosemite NP. Then back to Vegas. Then home via Winslow AZ. I have a 2011 4Runner with about 75K miles...original hoses, belt and battery. It runs great, but the trip will probably be 7500 miles...some through the desert.

Any suggestions for maintenance over and above what the manual suggests at 75K? I was thinking of replacing the hoses, belt and battery. Tires (Cooper A-3) have about 37000 miles but look like they'll go another 8000.

If you're going to put 7500 miles on it and think you have 8000 left on the tires I would replace them....or makes plans to be prepared to replace them while on the trip if need be, a blowout while doing 70 MPH on a highway sure sounds like it could make your trip turn into a disaster, at the very least check out your spare, having a flat in the desert without a good spare would not be fun.

mrblah 08-11-2019 07:40 PM

oil change and brakee pad check at the bare minimum....

rest is up to you and the condition of the vehicle.

Ezlife45 08-11-2019 08:48 PM

I'd do oil change, maybe brake pad check, possibly a rotation and good inspection of the tires. I'd also travel with a compressor and a plug kit. Check the pressures, also the spare pressure

mr.walleye 08-11-2019 09:24 PM

what's your budget? tires for sure, you don't want bad rubber going thru the desert. I'd do the belts or at least take a spare and some tools. on second thought, id just change it before I left. how old is your battery? do you have a jump starter? wiper blades are a cheepo to do. man you could get into a list of things to do here.

Roccoeight 08-11-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock (Post 3336940)

I am on a trip and have gone 14,000 miles so far. I had the Toyota Dealer do the maintenance recommended.
Hundreds of dirt road miles, but mostly highway, to get that far.
my 2016 Trail has just over 100,000 miles.
I would say just drive it and have no worries!

R

pahaf91 08-12-2019 02:42 AM

Im planning to do a 5k mile road trip soon on my 2006 V6 4x4 with 198k. I just look around at everything and plan accordingly.

On my 4Runner, the front axles are ripped so i will replace those. My serpentine belt has cracks and the idler pulleys are loud so i will change those. Aside from that, just make sure to have your spare tire inflated (mines was at about 10psi) and make sure you have some basic tools just in case.

These 4Runners are pretty solid so you should have no issues.

One more thing. Make sure your tires are at the right PSI before you leave and I always get an alignment. IDK how much people pay but in sacramento, ca there is a shop that charges $55 and free adjustments for 6 months. Just a peace of mind.

Sgt. Rock 08-12-2019 02:28 PM

Not driving off road through the desert, just passing through on the highway. Will be doing the oil changes and rotation. The shop always checks the brakes and I'll ask their opinion on the tires. Got a good shop that has always been honest.

Sgt. Rock 08-12-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.walleye (Post 3337098)
what's your budget? tires for sure, you don't want bad rubber going thru the desert. I'd do the belts or at least take a spare and some tools. on second thought, id just change it before I left. how old is your battery? do you have a jump starter? wiper blades are a cheepo to do. man you could get into a list of things to do here.

Battery is the original / factory battery. Everything else (diff oil, trans case oil, trans fluid,antifreeze) is original except the brakes, tires, shocks and filters. And...a new President Bill CB and President NY antenna!

Primetime4370 08-12-2019 11:44 PM

I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow. '05 SR5 2wd with 203k miles. Had radiator swapped (known small leak, had the replacement since March), trans fluid exchange, oil change, tire rotation, new air and cabin filters and, new serpentine belt and idler pulley. Washed it up and cleaned the interior. Pretty much took care of the stuff I had been putting off. You should be fine OP. Hope you have a safe and fun trip!

Muzzle of Bees 08-13-2019 09:21 AM

Get the tires replaced. Make sure you have time to put a few hundred miles on them so if they need adjustment there is time for that.
A plug kit and air pump are great, but I would not want that risk on a trip. I prefer the liquid tire fix stuff on a trip. It's much more efficient. Never had a problem with it.
That's if you are determined to run the tires to the max.

Lester Lugnut 08-13-2019 12:41 PM

As mentioned above in at least one thread - do all that you are going to do several days B4 you leave. Better to learn of a problem in NJ vs. Dry Gulch KS.

Kamalani Mahie 08-13-2019 11:25 PM

I'd get your battery tested considering that it is 8 years old. Replace it before the trip if it's near the end of its life or be prepared to replace it on your trip.

Sgt. Rock 08-16-2019 10:58 PM

Took the truck to the shop today. OLF and tire rotation was due. They checked the battery, belt, hoses, brakes, A/C and suspension. Replaced the battery (NAPA Legend) and the serpentine belt. Everything else checked out ok. The Cooper A3s should be good for another 10000 miles. They also replaced the oil filter cap with an aluminium cap. The OEM cap is plastic?? Should be ready for the West Coast trip!