Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2020 TRD PRO or 2020 GX460.... What do?!?! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276243-2020-trd-pro-2020-gx460-what-do.html)

spc54 08-12-2019 02:43 PM

2020 TRD PRO or 2020 GX460.... What do?!?!
 
I'm pretty torn... I currently have a 2006 4X4 Limited V8... I feel like I will really miss the v8 if I switch....

Anyone else experienced the two?!

I prefer the looks of the 4Runner, and hate the barn door on the GX... The interior though I think the GX is much more comfortable?!

rushrunner 08-12-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc54 (Post 3337517)
I'm pretty torn... I currently have a 2006 4X4 Limited V8... I feel like I will really miss the v8 if I switch....

Anyone else experienced the two?!

I prefer the looks of the 4Runner, and hate the barn door on the GX... The interior though I think the GX is much more comfortable?!

GX = No back window down. No thanks....

spc54 08-12-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushrunner (Post 3337540)
GX = No back window down. No thanks....

Agreed, will miss that immensely too. Wish the 2020 4Runner got BSM.

ForRun 08-12-2019 03:22 PM

They are thinking about an off road version of the Lexus. Not sure if they will follow through?
Why Lexus GXs Are Becoming Big in the Off-Road Community

mteolus 08-12-2019 03:25 PM

2006 V8 10 less hp and 29 more ft lbs of torque than the 2020 v6. Doesn't seem like a huge difference and the V8 has a belt for a timing chain (not sure about the New V8) as opposed the the V6 which has a chain. Pedal Commander also added to V6 helps a lot.

Now if they put the 5.7 in the 4Runner...

Pathfinder! 08-12-2019 03:34 PM

All they'd have to do is replace that idiotic rear door with the 4runner/sequoia door and they would sell twice as many.

spc54 08-12-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathfinder! (Post 3337564)
all they'd have to do is replace that idiotic rear door with the 4runner/sequoia door and they would sell twice as many.

agreed!

Gecko 08-12-2019 03:42 PM

You will miss your V8 in the 5th gen V6. For sure. If that's a big issue, go GX.

Also, Lexus is offering big rebates on the GX right now so unless the pattern of the grill is a big deal for you, I'd snag a 2019 GX.

spc54 08-12-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gecko (Post 3337575)
You will miss your V8 in the 5th gen V6. For sure. If that's a big issue, go GX.

Also, Lexus is offering big rebates on the GX right now so unless the pattern of the grill is a big deal for you, I'd snag a 2019 GX.

Hoping to maybe get a lease special on the 2020, and then sell my current truck private party.

Kristin-VegasTRD 08-12-2019 04:25 PM

go drive the gx. We drove one, the power was better but not crazy, but it felt so old inside to me. We went with a 2019 TRD pro and are super happy

Gecko 08-12-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc54 (Post 3337599)
Hoping to maybe get a lease special on the 2020, and then sell my current truck private party.

If you want a good lease rate, I would either plan to get a 2019 before 9/3 or maybe a 2020 sometime after Thanksgiving. Lexus' current strategy is to blow out 2019s now to make ways for 2020s, and they have limited incentives until "December to Remember," and those promos are generally most aggressive for ES, RX and NX.

maxp0wer 08-12-2019 06:50 PM

Are you going to take it out into the mud and dirt, and beat the hell out of it? Get the interior dirty? Messy kids and dogs? If so then get the pro. If you are going to drive it on the streets and like the luxury options, then go for the Lexus. Seems pretty straight forward.

sn_85 08-12-2019 07:40 PM

At the price point of the 2020 TRD Pro...get the GX. MSRP the TRD Pro is just north of $50k plus dealer markup. You can easily get a discount on a GX460 and bring it to low 50k.

Tejas 08-12-2019 10:03 PM

You've already listed the major drawbacks of each. I've owned both and I don't think that the V8 in the GX is all that much better than the 4Runner. The extra gear in the transmission is nice. The back door sucks, the interior is more dated than the already dated 4Runner. There's no denying that it has more luxury and slightly more comfort but we aren't comparing the luxury delta between a 4Runner and a LX570, the GX is just slightly better.

I wouldn't fault you for choosing the GX if the nicer appointments and ride are important to you and I feel that the 2020 TRD Pro is grossly over priced so there's that. Best of luck with your decision, both have their merits.

SlickTRD 08-13-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas (Post 3337800)
You've already listed the major drawbacks of each. I've owned both and I don't think that the V8 in the GX is all that much better than the 4Runner. The extra gear in the transmission is nice. The back door sucks, the interior is more dated than the already dated 4Runner. There's no denying that it has more luxury and slightly more comfort but we aren't comparing the luxury delta between a 4Runner and a LX570, the GX is just slightly better.

I wouldn't fault you for choosing the GX if the nicer appointments and ride are important to you and I feel that the 2020 TRD Pro is grossly over priced so there's that. Best of luck with your decision, both have their merits.

I'm with you on this. I own both currently and all your comments are on point. The GX interior is more luxurious but feels more dated than then 4R. The V8 has more power but doesn't feel that much more. However, it is a lot smoother. They both have their pros/cons but I'd give the edge to the GX for the OEM LED headlights, vented seats, second row heated seats, second/third row HVAC, BSM and parking sensors.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.