Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Sherpa Equipment Company - 5th Gen (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276276-sherpa-equipment-company-5th-gen.html)

SherpaEquipmentCo 08-13-2019 01:07 PM

Sherpa Equipment Company - 5th Gen

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ae02c628_n.jpg

Located on the front range of Colorado, we are a couple of adventure-seeking, Toyota loving, videographers. On our travels, we needed a rack that would live up to the workload of our adventure video production. We were traveling with large amounts of equipment and camping gear but had a very little place to store it. We found that the rack systems available on the market left us sacrificing either strength or modularity. We set out to combine all of the features we wanted into one rack system. We are now pushing to create new products that are both strong and affordable so you can worry less and explore more. We have brought the same great quality to the 5th Gen 4runner Market

PRODUCTS

Drawer Systems (Coming Soon)

WHAT SETS US APART

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b26f393c_z.jpg

QUALITY MATERIALS
Our rack systems are made with aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel hardware, worrying about rust is a thing of the past. While our competitors are using thinner materials, we believe in keeping our side plates thick to prevent issues with bowing. Each rack side plate is cut from 1/4” 6061 to stand up to even the toughest loads.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fb3e07a4_z.jpg

MOUNTING
Our racks use a rubber spacer to form a seal between our rack and your roof. We believe you shouldn’t have to glob on silicone just to make sure you don’t end up with water in your roof. Mounting our racks requires zero modification to your vehicle.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...76036dbe_z.jpg

HANDLES
Gaining access to the equipment on your roof can often be the most frustrating part of using a roof rack or basket. We build handles right into the side of our racks to eliminate the issue and give you quick access to your gear.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...938b9134_z.jpg

ADAPTABLE
Our crossbars are designed to move to accommodate whatever spacing necessary for mounting your equipment. It's never been easier to mount your tents, awnings, and more. Simply loosen a couple of bolts and slide away.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3757f299_z.jpg

mscot 08-13-2019 02:26 PM

Just checked your site for the 5th gen version. It would be cool if you added a couple cut outs to install work lights in addition to those hand holds.

SherpaEquipmentCo 08-13-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscot (Post 3338122)
Just checked your site for the 5th gen version. It would be cool if you added a couple of cut outs to install work lights in addition to those handholds.

As nice as cut-outs would be for those that want to run flush-mounted lights on the side, we also want to be able to cater to those that like the clean look of having no cutouts. Though a great feature for nice side lighting to keep it clean, we have had great luck using products from Extreme Led and Baja Designs to get a similar result without the use of cutouts.

This all comes down to keeping our lead times short and providing to the masses.

Tejas 08-13-2019 09:24 PM

Looks like an improved Prinsu. If I didn't already have my Prinsu I would certainly consider this rack as the foot mounts are a better design and the modularity of the rack is much more user friendly. I think you will do well with these. Hopefully you offer some sort of forum and military/veteran/first responder discount as well.

GripT4R 08-13-2019 10:48 PM

$879, until you select no light bar , then it jumps to nearly $1100...why?

Tejas 08-13-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3338438)
$879, until you select no light bar , then it jumps to nearly $1100...why?

You're paying for the fairing and powder coat. I think that the fairing should be included with the base price.

SherpaEquipmentCo 08-14-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3338438)
$879, until you select no light bar, then it jumps to nearly $1100...why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas (Post 3338451)
You're paying for the fairing and powder coat. I think that the fairing should be included with the base price.

We offer a no fairing option for those that do not want a fairing. The price does not update until you have selected all the options. So yes, nearly $1100 with a fairing and black powder coat.

SherpaEquipmentCo 08-14-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas (Post 3338386)
Looks like an improved Prinsu. If I didn't already have my Prinsu I would certainly consider this rack as the foot mounts are a better design and the modularity of the rack is much more user friendly. I think you will do well with these. Hopefully you offer some sort of forum and military/veteran/first responder discount as well.

We definitely do offer Mil/First Responder discounts! Just need to get in contact with us. We worked very hard to make an extremely strong and easy mounting solution. Not having to glob silicon all over your truck was a must for us.

GripT4R 08-14-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherpaEquipmentCo (Post 3338670)
We offer a no fairing option for those that do not want a fairing. The price does not update until you have selected all the options. So yes, nearly $1100 with a fairing and black powder coat.

Ahh, makes sense now.

I was like, damn these guys will make a killing selling racks for $879 with a fairing and black powdercoat. But at $1,100 it just another aluminum extrusion rack option at a similar price point.

curious to see what happens to lead times...

ridefast 08-14-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherpaEquipmentCo (Post 3338075)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e2c1fd85_n.jpg

Located on the front range of Colorado, we are a couple of adventure-seeking, Toyota loving, videographers. On our travels, we needed a rack that would live up to the workload of our adventure video production. We were traveling with large amounts of equipment and camping gear but had a very little place to store it. We found that the rack systems available on the market left us sacrificing either strength or modularity. We set out to combine all of the features we wanted into one rack system. We are now pushing to create new products that are both strong and affordable so you can worry less and explore more. We have brought the same great quality to the 5th Gen 4runner Market

Can you please post some pics of the front mounting foot location. I want to make certain that the front mounting feet sit on the rubber part of the roofs rain gutter. Also just want to verify that the fairing doesn't touch the paint.

Cdw4n 08-14-2019 01:22 PM

How much does your roof rack weigh? I looked on your website but didn’t see it.

mscot 08-14-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherpaEquipmentCo (Post 3338285)
As nice as cut-outs would be for those that want to run flush-mounted lights on the side, we also want to be able to cater to those that like the clean look of having no cutouts. Though a great feature for nice side lighting to keep it clean, we have had great luck using products from Extreme Led and Baja Designs to get a similar result without the use of cutouts.

This all comes down to keeping our lead times short and providing to the masses.

That reply makes no sense. You have cut outs all over the rack. I don't see the utility in 4 hand holds, 2 or 3 would be more than enough if placed at the right locations. You could easily convert a hand hold to a work light cut out or you could make the hand holds work for either a hand hold or a work light.

Agent_Outside 08-14-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscot (Post 3338778)
That reply makes no sense. You have cut outs all over the rack. I don't see the utility in 4 hand holds, 2 or 3 would be more than enough if placed at the right locations. You could easily convert a hand hold to a work light cut out or you could make the hand holds work for either a hand hold or a work light.

Just buy an SSO, you get stronger crossbars, stronger crossbar mounting point (3 dedicated holes vs a long slot), and light cut outs.

mscot 08-14-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Outside (Post 3338784)
Just buy an SSO, you get stronger crossbars, stronger crossbar mounting point (3 dedicated holes vs a long slot), and light cut outs.

Yeah. Was looking to support a CO company when I can.

sn_85 08-14-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscot (Post 3338807)
Yeah. Was looking to support a CO company when I can.

Pricey option here but check out upTOP Overland. They make Al2+ extrusion racks as well but they add a few wrinkles that make it a little unique, more functional, and more than just another also-ran. They also have a lot of accessory mounts as well. They're from Castle Rock, CO if that matters.

upTOP™ Alpha 4R - 2010+ 4Runner 5th Gen NO DRILL – upTOP Overland