Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   bypass the dash AC button (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/276346-bypass-dash-ac-button.html)

Jayson44 08-15-2019 01:16 AM

bypass the dash AC button

my AC compressor works just fine when it gets power, but the dash button doesnt' always send power to the relay. it's goofy...it's always lit up (not blinking) and sometimes it comes and goes. it pretty much always works when it's humid or raining. I took it to Firestone to have them check the AC when I thought it just needed freon, but they told me they tested it and it was all fine except the dash button.

so, how can I bypass that one and just send power to the relay from another button? is this possible?

J.

USMCEngineer 08-15-2019 12:29 PM

Ac

I would try replacing that relay. Mine went bad and the light started blinking. I know yours isn't doing that, but they are known to fail so it might be worth replacing before going down any other roads. You could jump the power so that the clutch always has power, but I wouldn't rec'd that. It's better to let the system handle control of everything.

tom4416 08-15-2019 08:24 PM

The relay from Autozone is $9, well worth trying as a solution - worked for me and my light wasn't blinking either. Don't get it at the dealer, they tried to tell me it was an $80 part including installation (2-3 minutes of labor?).

wcjeep 08-16-2019 12:40 AM

Why reinvent the wheel? Buy a new button from Dealer, Rockauto or used from junkyard.

MikeinNH67 08-19-2019 04:38 PM

I would also try the relay first as it is super common. You can swap it with another one under there if you'd like. I think you only get the blinking A/C light if the relay sticks on and the compressor runs longer than it should, not if it fails to switch on.

Jayson44 08-21-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcjeep (Post 3339924)
Why reinvent the wheel? Buy a new button from Dealer, Rockauto or used from junkyard.

new "button" includes the whole panel, and Toyota wants $1000 for it. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeinNH67 (Post 3341720)
I would also try the relay first as it is super common. You can swap it with another one under there if you'd like. I think you only get the blinking A/C light if the relay sticks on and the compressor runs longer than it should, not if it fails to switch on.

I will definitely try this, but the relay looks fine. the guys at Firestone said it was fine as well. but worth a shot.

J.

MikeinNH67 08-21-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayson44 (Post 3342851)
I will definitely try this, but the relay looks fine. the guys at Firestone said it was fine as well. but worth a shot.

J.

You really can't tell unless you take it apart. They are cheap enough to try and I swear a stuck one burnt out both my upper o2 sensors. Why else would the heater circuit burn out on both of them? They are turned on by the same relay.

I bought a couple of these from Rockauto, $5 each.
WELLS 1R1696