Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Front skid bolts broke (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276419-front-skid-bolts-broke.html)

brown dog 08-16-2019 10:53 AM

Front skid bolts broke

Upgrading from stock front skid and the two bolts from the front end of the skid broke off while I was removing them. Half of both of those bolts are still stuck in the hole. Thoughts on how to remove them? Or should I just try to screw in the new bolts and force the broken bits up through the back end of the hole? Don't really want to drill into them, don't have the equipment. Figured one of you geniuses may have a 'life hack' on how to get broken bolts out.

JAXJeremy 08-16-2019 11:03 AM

If they're broken flush there really aren't any other options besides drilling....

if you still have some bolt showing and you've got a welder, you could weld another nut on to the end that would allow you to get it out.

brown dog 08-16-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAXJeremy (Post 3340065)
If they're broken flush there really aren't any other options besides drilling....

if you still have some bolt showing and you've got a welder, you could weld another nut on to the end that would allow you to get it out.

No bolt showing and I don't have a welder anyways. :sobbing:

osugsxr 08-16-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brown dog (Post 3340056)
Upgrading from stock front skid and the two bolts from the front end of the skid broke off while I was removing them. Half of both of those bolts are still stuck in the hole. Thoughts on how to remove them? Or should I just try to screw in the new bolts and force the broken bits up through the back end of the hole? Don't really want to drill into them, don't have the equipment. Figured one of you geniuses may have a 'life hack' on how to get broken bolts out.

bolt extractor simple and straight forward

JAXJeremy 08-16-2019 11:10 AM

Bolt extractor kits are relatively inexpensive..probably the best route to go.

Jeckolame 08-16-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAXJeremy (Post 3340065)

+1
https://dwnld.icu/assets/91/AA.jpg

Jarheadoo7 08-16-2019 11:17 AM

Bolt extractor, tap set, new bolts and some anti-seize. Extract the old. Tap the hole to clear it of booger’s, then put some anti-seize on the new bolts.

IanB 08-16-2019 11:24 AM

Those bolts seem undersized, and seem to rust and seize very easily, resulting in broken bolts. Use anti-seize any time you remove and replace them.

the_fornicator 08-16-2019 12:01 PM

If using an extractor, I'd hit the top of the holes with some penetrating lube first a day or so beforehand just in case the bolt is seized. Might help things along.

ElectroBoy 08-16-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

... Don't really want to drill into them, don't have the equipment...

You’re going to need to drill into the broken bolt to use a bolt extractor. If you’re not familiar with the process, here’s an explanation.
How to Use a Screw Extractor: 12 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

the_fornicator 08-16-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Or should I just try to screw in the new bolts and force the broken bits up through the back end of the hole?

Forgot to mention, if half the bolt is still stuck in the hole, remember that bolt is screwed into threads.

By screwing in a new bolt you'll most likely achieve at least one of 2 things:
1) Whatever exposed threads there are that you're using the new bolt to catch on to will be completely stripped (may not be enough exposed threads to get enough bite to do any "pushing")
2) You'll strip the threads the busted bolt are screwed into.

Either way, you're going to end up with stripped threads. You can't just push a threaded bolt out of a hole -you have to rotate/turn it in or out. The new bolt won't magically turn/screw the old/stuck bolt.

Like the other guys said, you probably have 1 of 2 options:
1) Carefully drill through the existing bolt and try not to damage the existing threads. Tap to clean shit up.
2) Extractor bit.

A third option is to bring it to a shop and hope they care as much about your car as you do to not damage the threads. .

brown dog 08-20-2019 03:56 PM

Yeah, I've decided to go the extraction kit route. We'll see how this goes. Cross your fingers for me.

Deep_palancar 08-20-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brown dog (Post 3342294)
Yeah, I've decided to go the extraction kit route. We'll see how this goes. Cross your fingers for me.

I would undecide while you still can.

If those bolts are seized to the point of snapping while loosening then they are really bound. Depending on if there is a lot of rust evident, it's likely that they are cross threaded. Those front bolts are really easy to cross-thread.
Those bolt extractor bits can only stand so much torque and will snap off if over-wrenched.
The extractors are made of hardened steel. Once they break in a bolt you are pretty much done, you're not going to drill that extractor bit out with anything less than a wet diamond. You are down to torch and weld as a fix.

Instead, drill the whole bolt out and repair with a helicoil kit of the original size.