Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Front TRD Pro Skid Plate Install on 2010-2013 SR5's (no KDSS) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276429-front-trd-pro-skid-plate-install-2010-2013-sr5s-no-kdss.html)

T4RDriver 08-16-2019 03:23 PM

Front TRD Pro Skid Plate Install on 2010-2013 SR5's (no KDSS)

Hi all, anybody have any first hand experience completing this install that they can share ('10-'13 SR5, non-KDSS)?

Toyota says the '14+ TRD skid is not compatible however I've been reading for a few hours and found 1 abandoned install and 2 successful w/o detail around how to successfully complete the job. Trying to determine if the task is worth the trouble as most available info is for '14+ trucks. If it's a matter of just cleaning up bolt threads and bolting on to my '13 SR5, I'm ready! Otherwise...not sure it's worth the effort. Anybody got any feedback from their own experience with this job?

I think my shopping list would be...

PTR60-89190 (TRD Pro Skid Plate)
PT938-00140-AA (TRD Pro Skid Plate Hardware)
+ 8mm x 1.25mm Pitch Tap ?
+ 10mm x 1.25mm Pitch Tap ?
+ anti-sieze
+ something to trim black plastic lower cover

T4RDriver 08-21-2019 12:59 PM

Bump. Anybody got any intel? Thanks!!

mteolus 08-21-2019 02:16 PM

One of the LFD guys just bought one of those older 5th Gen 4Runners (can't remember what year), they may already make a skid plate for it but if not they may eventually make one since they have a vehicle now. I'd go that route if it is a hassle to install the TRD skid plate.

Just checked their website, they have regular and wide that fits all 5th gens. Good price too.

DavidR1 08-21-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mteolus (Post 3342804)
One of the LFD guys just bought one of those older 5th Gen 4Runners (can't remember what year), they may already make a skid plate for it but if not they may eventually make one since they have a vehicle now. I'd go that route if it is a hassle to install the TRD skid plate.

Just checked their website, they have regular and wide that fits all 5th gens. Good price too.

Exactly, I bet that @jafrush knows if this would be a direct fit.

I also agree about going aftermarket, that is if you ever plan to use the skid plate for its intended purpose. The TRD plate is aluminum where most aftermarket are steel. Aftermarket is about the same price, sometimes cheaper.

jafrush 08-21-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR1 (Post 3342807)
Exactly, I bet that @jafrush knows if this would be a direct fit.

I also agree about going aftermarket, that is if you ever plan to use the skid plate for its intended purpose. The TRD plate is aluminum where most aftermarket are steel. Aftermarket is about the same price, sometimes cheaper.

I would think it would fit just fine.

The wide skid I just put on my '12 Trail fit without any drama. We've had a bunch of our skids installed on early 5th gens.

ETA I originally put the TRD plate on my Trail back when I was new at this and before we were making our own parts. I still think the TRD plate looks really good. If you arent rock bashing and want to stick with Toyota parts its a good choice. I bent mine up pretty quickly though. The biggest negative to it is you still have to remove the entire skid for oil changes (assuming Toyota hasn't updated their design, I haven't seen one lately). Pretty much all the aftermarket skids have removable oil doors to make oil changes much easier.

WhiteRunner10 08-21-2019 05:39 PM

2019 TRD skid plate fit just fine on my 2010 sr5. The issue was the bumper came so low you couldn't see the pretty trd letters or anything else. So I kept it stock and sold the skid plate. Tapping the screws is just for those using longer bolts in the rear. There is a massive thread already dedicated to this.