Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro Is The Modern Day First Generation Land Rover Discovery (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276525-toyota-4runner-trd-pro-modern-day-first-generation-land-rover-discovery.html)

fringe 08-18-2019 10:07 PM

Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro Is The Modern Day First Generation Land Rover Discovery

YouTube

docsnavely 08-19-2019 01:51 AM

How about a bit of discussion instead of just posting a link to a YouTube video?

mnofpeace 08-19-2019 06:55 AM

to paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen, former VP candidate

I knew the LandRover Disco, i've owned one, i knew and loved it dearly
the T4R is NO LR Discovery...

First and foremost, my LR Disco broke down on me in year 2 of ownership, then again in year 2 of ownership...and 3and 4. My personal mechanic couldnt stop complaining about what it took to fix that truck, and why was i so attached to it knowing that it just wouldnt stay 'fixed'. The LR Disco was super smooth when traveling, and tank-ish off road because it was so heavy, but it barely got more than 12-13mpg at anytime. The small block V8 had the torque, but zero power. The interior styling and design can only be called 'British' as nothing was ever really where you wanted it to be. and trying to do any work on it yourself meant you had to take a full semester of 'WTH-engineering' as nothing was ever really where you wanted it to be. Even the seats failed after yr 3, with clumps of foam simply falling out from the bottom of the undamaged leather surfaces.

Yeah, they are both off-rd capable 4WD vehicles...but that is about where it ends...IMHO

:gun6:

DavidR1 08-19-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnofpeace (Post 3341354)
The interior styling and design can only be called 'British' as nothing was ever really where you wanted it to be.

:gun6:

I laugh at this as it's 100% correct! The interior was very nice, but was so goofy. Everyone that got in it was confused about where things were located, I had to constantly point out how to roll down the window or even open the door.

But dang, it was fun to drive!

fringe 08-19-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docsnavely (Post 3341328)
How about a bit of discussion instead of just posting a link to a YouTube video?

the thread is the discussion

mnofpeace 08-19-2019 08:51 AM

exactly, about having to give a class to any passenger...its here, its down there, its over there...yeah, that is a weird place to put that.

And i will tell anyone who wants to talk about the Disco...i LOVED that truck...until i didnt...right around repair job #2 or 3.

it did give the Disco tons of character...but it also BROKE on numerous occations.

If you want to get there, take a Land Rover
if you want to get back, take a Land Cruiser...
or its little brother, the T4R.

Tejas 08-19-2019 09:55 AM

They are fantastic off-road machines when they work and they are a joy to look at (Defenders and RR's as well) but they are grossly over priced and they simply don't cut the mustard in the reliability department. They tease you like that one attractive and unique female who you know is an absolute basket case and will leave you beaten and broke but her sheer looks and ability in certain areas taunts you to no end lol.

Toffees 08-19-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fringe (Post 3341243)

Without being dismissive of the person who did the video, in the words of the Tappet brothers, this theory is boooooogus.

A few observations that come to me:

1) A spiritual successor needs to embody the "heart and soul" of a vehicle. I'm not sure I believe the Pro is such for the 4R. IMO, if any 5G is, it's the Trail/OR.
2) It would be weird for the 5G to be a successor to another model that is younger than its predecessors.
3) Surely, if the 5G is the successor the Disco, then it's a failure, since the Land Cruiser is the spiritual elder to all "overland" vehicles, not some mid-90s Land Rover build.

DeltaWhiskey 08-19-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas (Post 3341402)
They are fantastic off-road machines when they work and they are a joy to look at (Defenders and RR's as well) but they are grossly over priced and they simply don't cut the mustard in the reliability department. They tease you like that one attractive and unique female who you know is an absolute basket case and will leave you beaten and broke but her sheer looks and ability in certain areas taunts you to no end lol.

Fantastic analogy :lol:

k2theablam 08-19-2019 01:19 PM

5G is the spiritual successor to the 80 series Land Cruiser.

Land Rovers aren't even in the same ballpark

Jimbo 08-19-2019 02:55 PM

Just to echo sentiments....

Had a '99 Disco II that I loved to death. Bought it used with about 30k miles on it. Absolutely shined offroad, and was a pleasure to see in the driveway.

After numerous smallish maintenance issues, it required an engine rebuild at about 60k miles. I decided not to chase that storm, and instead traded it in on a 2005 SR5 4Runner. My daughter now owns the 4runner, with about 198k miles on it.

Brakes, Oil, Tires, and exhaust. All else has been bullet-proof.

Thrasher_S 08-19-2019 03:23 PM

Buddy of mine has a Discovery, and loves it! Claims it's the best rig he's ever owned.

Of course, the motor/transmission is from Isuzu, he replaced all the wiring, the seats are aftermarket, and he replaced all the gauges, and a bunch of other changes. Basically just the body, frame, and axles (I think) are original.

MillerPKA 08-19-2019 03:47 PM

Always loved seeing a nice built Disco on the trails but never had interest in owning one because of the aforementioned issues. I'd call it backseat appreciation.

Bumbo 08-19-2019 04:33 PM

Luxury is defined by getting there, and back.

fringe 08-21-2019 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docsnavely (Post 3341328)

I tried embedding it. Didn't work.