Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Parking brake issue after axle swap (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/276556-parking-brake-issue-after-axle-swap.html)

thezentree 08-19-2019 03:50 PM

Parking brake issue after axle swap

Need some help, I’m about 90% thru a rear axle swap and can’t my parking brake cable set. I can pry the bell crank out to make the cable clevis reach, but obviously that sets the parking brake, even with the handle down.

I swapped the axle shaft/brake assy from my current axle into the new housing, same brake cable. I didn’t even pull the drums off of the axles so I’m not sure why I can’t make it reach.

Drums won’t come off, even trying to press them off with an M10 screw thru the threaded holes

RS Dude 08-19-2019 03:56 PM

You can loosen the tension of the parking brake cable at the brake handle.

Bad Luck 08-19-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezentree (Post 3341680)
Need some help, I’m about 90% thru a rear axle swap and can’t my parking brake cable set. I can pry the bell crank out to make the cable clevis reach, but obviously that sets the parking brake, even with the handle down.

I swapped the axle shaft/brake assy from my current axle into the new housing, same brake cable. I didn’t even pull the drums off of the axles so I’m not sure why I can’t make it reach.

Drums won’t come off, even trying to press them off with an M10 screw thru the threaded holes

Try loosening the parking brake cable at the lever. For the drums you'll probably need to loosen the brake adjuster before the drum will slide off.

thezentree 08-19-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS Dude (Post 3341690)
You can loosen the tension of the parking brake cable at the brake handle.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Not sure what's changed, but maybe the bracket locations are slightly different?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3341698)
Try loosening the parking brake cable at the lever. For the drums you'll probably need to loosen the brake adjuster before the drum will slide off.

Yeah I finally got the adjuster to move, so I was able to get the drum off.

BrianK14 08-19-2019 08:58 PM

Yep. Loosen as a much as possible at the handle.