Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Wrong oil filter = big mess (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/276610-wrong-oil-filter-=-big-mess.html)

sam.basye 08-20-2019 07:28 PM

Wrong oil filter = big mess

1 Attachment(s)
A few min after posting I looked up the right part number. Grabbed the wrong box off my shelf for the wife’s Acura MDX... quality move like spinning the drain plug because the ratchet wasn’t in reverse.

Now I get to clean up the driveway, car and my pride. Lol

Filter lasted about 1k miles before luckily blowing out of the block in my driveway. Spun off completely even though it was tight.

Started leaking pretty good in my driveway then blew out when I went to rev it to see it tightening if helped.

turbo8 08-20-2019 07:33 PM

What part number is on the filter?

sam.basye 08-20-2019 07:43 PM

Wrong oil filter = big mess

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo8 (Post 3342407)
What part number is on the filter?

The wrong one... thanks for your quick response.

Updated the first post.

Attachment 342005

LittleCaesar 08-20-2019 07:59 PM

Nice. Wait until you double gasket the new filter. Then there will be a real mess (having walked that walk).

Good looking yard....

sam.basye 08-20-2019 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleCaesar (Post 3342435)
Nice. Wait until you double gasket the new filter. Then there will be a real mess (having walked that walk).

Good looking yard....

Thanks for the heads up!
The old gasket was laying on the ground so I think I’m good. Lol

Still blows my mind there was enough pressure to spin it right off. It’s the same depth, but narrower. Similar ports in the top luckily.

Rolled it back into the grass and degreased/pressure washed it in the dark. Gonna do an oil change in the morning with the right filter...

Just cut the grass yesterday. Lol

Can’t have fun if I blow it up!
Attachment 342024

Ghostrider 08-21-2019 05:49 AM

Amazing how quick you can empty the engine of oil. A while back on my british sports car i added a spin on kit. It had a defect and I pumped 4 quarts in the yard quickly. Dad told me to get out the way and he did the same before we stopped and figured out that it had casting spur on the seating area.

19963.4lsr5 08-21-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider (Post 3342608)
Amazing how quick you can empty the engine of oil. A while back on my british sports car i added a spin on kit. It had a defect and I pumped 4 quarts in the yard quickly. Dad told me to get out the way and he did the same before we stopped and figured out that it had casting spur on the seating area.

My Cummins oil pump flows 15 gallons per min. It would empty my 3 gallons of oil real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam.basye 08-21-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider (Post 3342608)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3342617)
My Cummins oil pump flows 15 gallons per min. It would empty my 3 gallons of oil real quick.

That’s nuts. Crazy how much oil an engine can pump.