Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rusted out front skid plate (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276616-rusted-out-front-skid-plate.html)

Jeff614 08-20-2019 08:23 PM

Rusted out front skid plate

Hi everyone, been awhile, life goes by fast... couldn't believe I was catching up on some service at 90000 already!

Anyway, while underneath doing a fluid change out this weekend I noticed the front skid plate is crumbling away in rust. Live in Northern VA so usually little snow, salt, etc... Rest of undercarriage looked good for 90K miles as well. I was shocked, never expected to see that level of rust :wow2:

Dealer quoted $208 for the stock one which seemed pretty good, I'm having trouble finding that part number. I got 51405A online but can't find any (so far) in stock or cost. They also quoted the TRD Aluminum plate for $276... on order.

I'm tempted, TRD and it's aluminum, but my winch bumper requires removing the "tabs" the plate swings down on.

Finally my real question is what say you if you were on a budget? Finances are tight right now with school and work. Just wondering if I'm overlooking something, even in finding a stocker...

Thanks all,
Jeff

Gclark949 08-20-2019 08:32 PM

Why not just go with an aftermarket brand. My Bud Built skid is 1000x better than the OEM tin foil piece of...

Charlievee 08-20-2019 09:24 PM

First question do you use it? Very few people do anything that would require a skid plate. If money is an issue, get a stock one that someone is tossing. Lfd off road starts at 179.00

Jeff614 08-21-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlievee (Post 3342474)
First question do you use it? Very few people do anything that would require a skid plate. If money is an issue, get a stock one that someone is tossing. Lfd off road starts at 179.00

Really don’t need an upgraded version. Stocker has been fine for the wheeling I do and that’s decreased a lot lately.

Price is really the largest factor. RCI and Schrockworks are waaaay to much. Will definitely check out LFD, thanks!

Anyone have the correct part # or even by chance have a take off they wanna get rid of?

Thanks everyone,
Jeff

zcruiser 08-21-2019 08:41 AM

Even if you don’t wheel, it’s nice to do some armoring of your undercarriage. I’ve hit a few things over the years with all the miles and it’s always good to have a little more protection to minimize damage.

DavidR1 08-21-2019 09:00 AM

If you poke around local social media 4Runner pages in Nova you're bound to find one. This is the first thing that many people ditch.

To order one, the shipping will get you. I'd attempt to find one local to you.

Jeff614 08-21-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR1 (Post 3342633)
If you poke around local social media 4Runner pages in Nova you're bound to find one. This is the first thing that many people ditch.

Precisely what I’m hoping/looking for. Seen a few on eBay and w/shipping it’s more than the dealer.

Trust me, I get the added bonus the thicker ones give, and or the rust free worries of aluminum... it’s simply not in the budget.

90Duck 08-21-2019 11:23 AM

I've got one sitting under my stairs doing nothing that I would happily donate to your cause for the cost of shipping, but I can't imagine shipping it across the country would make much financial sense from Oregon to NOVA

tm965 08-21-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR1 (Post 3342633)

which pages? id love a gas tank skid

DavidR1 08-21-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tm965 (Post 3342728)
which pages? id love a gas tank skid

Unsure where in VA you are, there is a RVA Toyota Trucks FB page. Unsure if there are others, I'd assume there are beach area and NOVA pages.

the_fornicator 08-21-2019 12:24 PM

I'd search locally + used. Most people ditch the OEM one for $50.

tm965 08-21-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR1 (Post 3342733)
Unsure where in VA you are, there is a RVA Toyota Trucks FB page. Unsure if there are others, I'd assume there are beach area and NOVA pages.

in nova

2112 R 08-21-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_fornicator (Post 3342742)
I'd search locally + used. Most people ditch the OEM one for $50.

^^ This. If you're on a tight budget check the classifieds here or via one of the local regional groups here:
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4runn...ux-surf-clubs/
There is a parts section in each of them and maybe you can find a local 4runner owner who is looking to clean out their side yard after upgrading armor.

I sold mine for a cup of coffee and a doughnut and even met the guy half way between his house and mine. I just wanted to get rid of the thing and find it a new home. You'll be able to find something for sure.

If the dealership is quoting you +$200 and you're seriously thinking of paying that, I would suggest saving up another $100 and just get an RCI or something.
10-19 4Runner Front Skid Plate – RCI Offroad

sn_85 08-21-2019 04:39 PM

As others have said, look on craigslist. I practically gave my skids away or actually did give them away for free. Try your luck there.

Deep_palancar 08-21-2019 05:20 PM

Part Number

the part number is 51450 60050

There's a salvage one on EBay now for $130ish shipped
Or McGeorge Toyota will ship you new one for ~$170