Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Totaled 2002 Limited last night. Worth parting out? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/276713-totaled-2002-limited-last-night-worth-parting-out.html)

pclausen 08-23-2019 01:05 PM

Totaled 2002 Limited last night. Worth parting out?

3 Attachment(s)
So my wife totaled my 4Runner last night. I put a new engine in it 2 years ago and it was in great mechanical condition with maybe 20k miles on the new engine. Engine was a JDM importing with about 60k (kilometers on it) before I installed it.

So I'm wondering if it would be worth it to attempt to pulling the engine, transmission, rear axle and the wheels/tires and maybe some of the interior?

Or should I just take it to the junk yard and get the scrap value for it?

I have attached some pics.

Ryance39 08-23-2019 01:38 PM

Damn, that is some wreck. Hopefully your wife is okay. I've always been hesitant to buy critical components from a heavily damaged vehicle but if the engine is in good shape and can safely be removed there is certainly a market for them.

gamefreakgc 08-23-2019 01:47 PM

Oh my gosh, is she ok?!? That's a really, really nasty crash!

Yes, it's worth parting out. The brake pump assembly is worth $300+, the VSC TRAC computer is worth $200, and the throttle body is worth $200. That's $700 for three parts right there.

STI_MECE 08-23-2019 01:49 PM

I would say that is not a road venturing down. At least, the money you would make off of it will be next to nothing if it were to have just had frame damage.

The amount of energy that went through the Chassis of that vehicle basically renders everything mostly unsalvageable. Every bit of that 4runner saw levels of stress that it was never intended to see.

The fact your wife is okay is enough value in itself.... Push the thing off a cliff and be glad the one thing that actually mattered is still alive.

Brian. 08-23-2019 02:03 PM

Wow, another well wisher for your wifes health. That's an impressive display of carnage...

As for parting, it's a Very time consuming, space-hog process. I did a motorcycle, ONCE, and realized that it simply wasn't worth the hassle for the pathetically small "profits". Someone else might be willing to part it though, so find out what the salvage yard will offer and then listed it up for a week or two to see if you can pull in a little more $$$.

I do agree that there's money in it, but only for the person with a lot of patience (and thus storage room). Sure, someone will Eventually buy all the different parts, but how long do you have t deal with people until that happens. That was what killed me.... dealing with hundreds of people who all, seemingly, were expecting perfectly new parts despite the picture of the starting point, and only wanted to offer a few dollars less than what just shipping the part cost... nevermind the materials used to ship, my time pulling, packing or delivering the part.

Given the value of 3rd gen 4runners, it's really not worth the time for most people. The ones who Enjoy the process (or do it out of necessity) should be given free reign.

pclausen 08-23-2019 02:37 PM

Appreciate the well wishes for the wife! She's ok although she did break both arms, so the recovery will take a while, but it could have been much worse given the severity of the accident. According to the officer, the truck rolled over 8 times across a distance of about 150 ft. No other vehicles were involved. Airbag did not deploy since there was no direct frontal impact. She swerved to miss a deer and lost control.

I'll see about removing easy to get to parts that are not too costly to ship and then just take what remains to the scrap yard. I do have space (that's my shop building in the above pics), but I don't really have the time. I still have the old engine, so I'll throw that in the back to get the weight up to about 4,500 lbs. Junk yard pays $4 per 100 lbs, so that comes to about $180.

I already have a project car in my shop that I haven't touched in 4 years (2002 BMW X5 4.6is). Engine is done, but the transmission is still sitting on a shop table in 1,000 pieces... So yeah, I don't need another project right now, lol.

Reinout 08-23-2019 03:33 PM

Wow. Hope all involved are okay!

Dezert4Runner 08-23-2019 03:34 PM

Glad to hear the wife’s ok after the looks of what the runner went through. I have no other input other than if you end up pulling parts, let me know if the sun visors are salvageable, Tan/Oak in color and have the pull out extensions! I think the 01-02 Limiteds were the only ones to have them (not sure if standard or an option on 01-02 Limiteds).

apohl17 08-23-2019 03:39 PM

Sorry for the loss, and best wishes for quick recovery for your wife.
To me, I would definitely say that there is money to be made back by selling parts from it, but I would understand if it makes more sense to get it out of sight and mind.

bdjcl 08-23-2019 04:44 PM

jesus, hope all is well.

how are the seats? ;)

MStudt 08-23-2019 04:55 PM

Part it out! Selling the brake booster, and locker alone will get you more than scrapping it. You still have a lot of good parts on that, and can make a good amount of money parting it.

Glad your wife is OK. Looks like one hell of a wreck.

Mike

plcfcng 08-23-2019 05:58 PM

Gald to hear your wife is ok. If you don't have some one already looking at the
brake booster I'm Interested in.

Thanks Mike.:moon:

det107 08-23-2019 06:22 PM

Better pay close attention to wifey rather hang out on this forum...

... Hope she's okay-

Dodtbdm 08-24-2019 09:15 AM

Glad she's ok. I seriously thought you had edited/cloned out part of the car from the first picture.

Hepar 08-24-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodtbdm (Post 3344338)
Glad she's ok. I seriously thought you had edited/cloned out part of the car from the first picture.

That's what I thought too.

Very glad your wife is ok. Count me in for parting it out if you have the time and space. If not, scrap it.