Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Anyone have luck selling an open 3rd member? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/276718-anyone-have-luck-selling-open-3rd-member.html)

thezentree 08-23-2019 04:42 PM

Anyone have luck selling an open 3rd member?

I need to send my cores back to ECGS, but I have a spare open rear end (and housing) because I swapped in an e-locker rear end. ECGS said they’d buy the extra 3rd for basically nothing (which is more than they could have done), but if that’s something people might want then maybe I won’t ship it to them.

Any insight?

nevada 08-23-2019 05:51 PM

I occasionally see people needing stock/open diffs for street/daily rigs.
plus, they could be used to add gears/lockers prior to breaking the rig down.

HiLife 08-23-2019 07:09 PM

Because if the weight, you'll be limited to your local market. What's the demand for open diffs around you?

mtbtim 08-23-2019 08:08 PM

Find out what your local PickNPull charges for a 3rd member and then charge a little more because they don't have to get on their backs at a wrecking yard to pull it themselves. Post it for sale on Craigslist and you'll get rid of it. Not everyone driving a 3rd Gen is looking to put a locker in. There's a ton of these rigs still on the road driven by your average joe or jane that has no interest in modifying it.

Dezerts10 08-24-2019 12:52 PM

I bought a front diff for a little less that It would have been at a pick a part off a guy because I wanted to have it re geared and be able to just bolt it in when I get my rear end swap and re gear figured out.

Id say craigslist it

dogtail 08-24-2019 02:20 PM

My experience at local price in New England for a 3rd gen 3rd member is $200-300. Can also be if somebody wants that particular gear ratio. I threw out a rusty rear end with 4:10 gears a while back. I regret it now, cause now I need that 4:10 3rd.

sleepydad 08-25-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezentree (Post 3344038)
I need to send my cores back to ECGS, but I have a spare open rear end (and housing) because I swapped in an e-locker rear end. ECGS said they’d buy the extra 3rd for basically nothing (which is more than they could have done), but if that’s something people might want then maybe I won’t ship it to them.

Any insight?

I'm always looking for them. when I can find them local for $150-$200 I usually will grab them.

it depends on gear ratio and condition like most things?

4.10? does it sound ok?

Mzs14 08-25-2019 10:30 AM

I tried to sell my 4:10 axle and third for about 8-10 months and said screw it and picked up a cool $5.00 at the scraper after staring at it in my garage for far too long.

thezentree 08-25-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepydad (Post 3344762)
I'm always looking for them. when I can find them local for $150-$200 I usually will grab them.

it depends on gear ratio and condition like most things?

4.10? does it sound ok?

Yeah 4.10s, and it's in great shape. Honestly the housing is in better shape than the one I swapped in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzs14 (Post 3344763)
I tried to sell my 4:10 axle and third for about 8-10 months and said screw it and picked up a cool $5.00 at the scraper after staring at it in my garage for far too long.

This is what I'm afraid of if I don't ship it back to ECGS. I put it on craigslist, if I don't get any bites (other than bots and Nigerian princes) in the next week I'll just send it to ECGS I guess. Better than $5 at the scrap yard.

thezentree 09-08-2019 04:21 PM

FWIW I sold the whole axle on CL for $175. Turns out the housing is valuable in the rust belt...

phattyduck 09-09-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezentree (Post 3352180)
FWIW I sold the whole axle on CL for $175. Turns out the housing is valuable in the rust belt...

I have this dream that a great business could be made getting clean frames and drivetrain parts from out west or south and bringing them to the rust belt... Heck, I crushed a 4runner with a perfect frame for scrap value after my 4WD swap after purchasing the vehicle for $300 and pulling the trans, and diffs, etc. from it because it is otherwise worthless out here.

-Charlie