Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Tall people sleeping in the back of a 4th Gen? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/276738-tall-people-sleeping-back-4th-gen.html)

Viking4455 08-24-2019 08:24 AM

Tall people sleeping in the back of a 4th Gen?

Morning yall. I'm currently searching for a late production run 4th Gen as the 5th Gens are just too damn expensive and don't have the V8. My only real concern is like every other car I look at. Will I fit in it? lol

I'm 6'3" and plan to use the back as a bed on camping trips and such. Do i have anything to worry about?

Paddy Garcia 08-24-2019 09:23 AM

Well, you might have to define fit :-) I just measured my 4R, and with the back seat folded there is barely 6' 3" from the back of the front seat to the inside of the rear hatch. Keep in mind that's not flat space, the bottom of the rear seat sticks up at the front end for about 8". Kinda like a pillow, but kinda not. You'll probably need to try one out to be sure.

Viking4455 08-24-2019 10:05 AM

LOL well i guess thats ok. I usually sleep on my side anyways. So the back seats don't lay 100% flat? Ya i'll def have to go test drive and mess with one when i get back stateside.

wsgoat 08-24-2019 03:58 PM

If it's just you, or you and another person traveling....the rear seat bottoms can be removed very easily. You'll pick up another 4-5" of room in back. I'd also consider moving the front seats all the way forward....

having fun 08-24-2019 04:24 PM

When the back seat folds down, the seat section folds up, that's the extra 6" taken from the flat area length wise. No gaps and flat.
If you make a platform to to raise above the folded seat section, you gain a 6" more.

I'm 5'9 and can sleep on my back on a pillow with no touch.

Chewbaccam 08-24-2019 07:02 PM

I just came back from a road trip where I did some car camping in my 4R- I'm 6'1'' and just barely fit when laying completely flat. My set up was folding down the rear seats flat where I then put down a sleeping mat and sleeping bag. I pushed the front passenger seat up a bit to gain a little more room to work with. It's a tight squeeze, but it's doable.

Tazer 08-26-2019 02:25 AM

I've slept in my 06 V8 just fine at 6'1", its gonna be cozy for you but get yourself some good thick foam and you'll sleep like a baby.

The rear lays down to very close to flat if you bring both the front seats forward, even giving you some room between the front seats and bed for your shoes and stuff

.:sleep:

duffdog 08-26-2019 01:16 PM

Short answer. NO. I'm 6'2" and you have to sleep diagonally and the distance from the seat to the rear hatch is less than you are tall and your feet will be smashed up on the door the entire time.

gaber6 08-26-2019 03:11 PM

I'm 6'2" and grew up camping on mountains on rocks in freezing weather, but the slight incline of the rear seat made it uncomfortable. I ended up sleeping on the passenger side front seat with more success. At least for a couple days, I could see this working, otherwise a foam pad or more level surface would be needed.

jrm 08-26-2019 04:11 PM

In order to have the rear seats

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viking4455 (Post 3344355)
LOL well i guess thats ok. I usually sleep on my side anyways. So the back seats don't lay 100% flat? Ya i'll def have to go test drive and mess with one when i get back stateside.

lay flat you can remove the seat bottoms and then just fold the backs down. This also opens up some extra area to carry stuff under the seat backs which is kinda nice b/c its out of the way.

Bullit_Sponge 08-26-2019 04:48 PM

+1 on seat bottom removal. At 6'6" with my 5'4" girlfriend we can sleep like this with our heads towards the tailgate. My feet hang off into the area behind the front seat that is slid up but that is pretty usual for most beds at my height so it isn't a short-coming of the 4runner (pun intended). Thankfully our cooler can fit in the front seats with the seat slid up so our food storage is safe. Then just use waterproof bins for everything else slid under the 4runner.

I am planning to build a platform for width. Our shoulders touch if we lay on our backs and arent pressed against wheel wells. For the cusion we use a memory foam king mattress topper (borrowed from our spare bedroom) folded in half (80x 76 folded to 40x76 which is your supported sleeping area). Makes for a very comfy situation.

The only thing is make sure you crack a window or else it takes a while to defrost the windshield in the mornings. Smokers visors are nice for this to keep it from being obvious your windows are down if you are in a crowded area and also for keeping rain out.

4 runna 08-27-2019 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullit_Sponge (Post 3345395)
The only thing is make sure you crack a window or else it takes a while to defrost the windshield in the mornings. Smokers visors are nice for this to keep it from being obvious your windows are down if you are in a crowded area and also for keeping rain out.

Yes - the visors are great for this - it's also good to get some fresh air in there while you sleep

064runnerv8 08-27-2019 08:49 PM

Try sleeping at an angle, might help a little

Rai Ferrule 08-27-2019 10:44 PM

I would be more worried about head clearance while driving if you are that tall
I'm 6'1" and my SR5 has a sun roof ( which lowers the inside roof height)
I find it distracting how close my head is too the ceiling , and the bill of my ball cap catches if I look up
My friend is 6'4" and he found the ceiling clearance unacceptable and went with a GX

Bashtastic 08-28-2019 03:46 PM

I'm 6'1" and I sleep in my '07 Sport every time I go camping. Can I stretch out completely? No. But I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable. If you don't mind your feet kicking the rear hatch or sleeping a little diagonal, you'll be fine.