Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   RCI Gas tank Skid plate (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276748-rci-gas-tank-skid-plate.html)

calimero 08-24-2019 01:53 PM

RCI Gas tank Skid plate

I have a 4runner TRDpro 2017 and am going to replace the gas tank OEM skid plate by the RCI aluminums version. While I see no issue in installing the RCI without lifting the vehicle, I wonder if it is possible to take out the OEM without lifting the 4runner because of the attached links.
Anybody has experience removing the Toyota OEM gas flimsy skid plate without lifting the 4runner?

Thanks for any feedback
Eric

MAST4R 08-24-2019 02:12 PM

Yes, it was not a problem for me. I am standard size though. My dad would stand no chance.

But I don't know why you think the RCI aluminum gas tank skid is any better than the stock. First, the stock can survive hard trails though it is a little flimsy. Second, you don't want an aftermarket skid that 1/has a weak front lip, which is where you will be hitting the most--and this is the RCI case and 2/is aluminum because then it would bent more easily and start rubbing against the plastic tank. There is a forum member who destroyed the front end of a steel RCI gas skid. That unsupported lip is the issue.

I have the entire RCI front package (steel) but I got a Shrock gas tank skid, much better. However, the Shrock skid is very painful to install because it uses the gas tank strap locations and the rear one is crazy to deal with.

So if I had to do it all over again, I would look at a 3/16 steel skid that has strong front lip and that does not share the inner attachment points with the gas tank straps.

rageandlove 08-24-2019 03:55 PM

Hi Eric. I helped a friend remove his stock and replace it with an RCI and it is not a problem if you don’t mind lying on your back.

Aluminum is a significant upgrade from the stock - I have RCI aluminum skids on the front and they take a beating just fine.

I agree the RCI design isn’t ideal on the leading edge, so I’m planning to get the Rango aluminum skid when it’s available later this year.

I suspect all gas skids use the stock strap locations to mount. The RCI one does for sure. I don’t know how else you would mount one because there is nothing else there to mount against.

calimero 08-24-2019 06:12 PM

Thanks MAST4R and RageAndLove for your quick reply.
I know that the RCI aluminum is not the best option but should be sufficient for me. I have had the RCI front section for more than a year and despite it being Alu instead of Steel, it has held up quite well. As I do not want to change my suspension yet (TRD stock), Steel was not an option (way too heavy for the OEM ones).
I am not also rock crawling. My TRD pro is also my daily vehicle so gas consumption should be considered (again weight).

Thanks again for your very quick feedback.
Eric

GX4SEVEND 08-24-2019 09:34 PM

I’ve got the full RCI set as well minus the gas tank skid and I get not doing the whole set in steel but you’re talking about 20 lbs of difference on just the gas tank skid. That is no where near a significant amount to have to change suspension. Maybe the steel is better for that location.

Also, if you know you’re not rock crawling than all points are moot and the stock gas tank will suffice.

If you just want to match everything up then wait until a Black Friday sale and pick up the gas tank skid.