Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Insurance question regarding total loss and aftermarket parts (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276774-insurance-question-regarding-total-loss-aftermarket-parts.html)

SoFloT4Run 08-25-2019 12:01 AM

Insurance question regarding total loss and aftermarket parts

Lets say you get into an accident and the other driver is found to be at fault. The other parties insurance deems the vehicle a total loss, however, you have aftermarket parts that can still be salvageable (Wheels, suspension, etc..) Are you still able to still remove those parts from the vehicle?

Whippersnapper02 08-25-2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFloT4Run (Post 3344673)
Lets say you get into an accident and the other driver is found to be at fault. The other parties insurance deems the vehicle a total loss, however, you have aftermarket parts that can still be salvageable (Wheels, suspension, etc..) Are you still able to still remove those parts from the vehicle?

I had this happen with my Tacoma. The body shop that I took my Tacoma to let me remove all the parts I had installed (full suspension, blower, headunit and other stuff). It depends where it's at and if the property owner lets you do it. It is a liability for them.

LRT 08-25-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFloT4Run (Post 3344673)

Technically once the insurance company cuts you the check, they own it. Some insurance companies give you the option to buy the vehicle back and they subtract that from your total payout.

You can negotiate getting a little more payout for your after market parts BEFORE you sign anything. Once you sign for the check, all bets are off.

nglayton 08-25-2019 12:32 AM

^^yup^^

Once they "total" it and pay you for the vehicle.....none of that stuff is yours. So if you want it you better take it off before you accept an offer. Afterwards you might be pushing it.

Another way to salvage the stuff is to accept their offer and then buy it back from them. I've bought total loss cars back as cheap as $300........fixed a few things, stripped it of my mods and then resold it for $1000. Win, Win. Win, for me.