Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Transmission S shift issue? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/276783-transmission-s-shift-issue.html)

Ripper238 08-25-2019 11:31 AM

Transmission S shift issue?

I find it odd that whenever shift into (S) sequential shift mode it always goes into 4th gear no matter my speed. But I could still shift into any gear.

I also have an oddity when running close to 80mph using cruise control and it downshifts on a hill to 4th it seems to get stuck in it. And when I switch to S mode and try to manually shift it won't.

Very odd?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CavPro 08-25-2019 11:37 AM

I've been using the S shifter to pull a light utility trailer for the last few weeks. All it really does when you shift it is eliminate 5th gear from the equation. Also using it doesn't mean you have to manually shift 1 to 4 as you go. It mostly eliminates the top gear depending where you shift it to but will still go through the gears like it was in D.

Hills and cruise control don't mix well especially a heavier car at 80 mph. For decades cruise control has done a crappy job with upshifts and then downshifts.

Ripper238 08-25-2019 01:21 PM

That makes sense it is a pretty heavy truck so it getting stuck in 4th I guess makes sense with cruise control. It's just odd when I disengage cruise control I can't use the S manual shift to change gears, just stays in 4th till I throttle in a bit to get it to shift out.

MTN4RNR 08-25-2019 02:14 PM

5th Gen 4Runner transmission programming at it's finest

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...8/021/work.jpg

Ultimately you'll have to adjust your driving to match what the transmission wants to do...

Ripper238 08-25-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTN4RNR (Post 3344881)
5th Gen 4Runner transmission programming at it's finest

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...8/021/work.jpg

Ultimately you'll have to adjust your driving to match what the transmission wants to do...

I feel much better if that's just the way it is. I've had issues with every single transmission in every single car I've ever owned except for my last Mazda and hopefully this. So I'm a little bit sensitive to transmission oddities.

BobsTrail 08-25-2019 02:56 PM

Modern cars with computer controls for engine and transmission. I get along fine with mine, we have to do it the Toyota way.

I miss my old GM car before electronic controls. I put in a B&M Shift Kit and made it do what I wanted when towing.

jhguth 08-26-2019 11:29 AM

it should manually shift, and generally it will drop down a gear when you push over into s-mode. it definitely does more than just eliminating 5th gear on mine (which it doesn't eliminate, you can shift into 5th just fine in s-mode)

mine definitely lets me shift manually and to the gear I want including shifting into overdrive. the transmission won't let you over-rev the engine, but it should let you drop down multiple gears. I used S-mode daily, the power band is pretty high so for merging and passing I just downshift in advance and then I donn't have any complaints that way about power or throttle response.

Ripper238 08-27-2019 02:16 PM

That's what's so weird. I can manually shift all the time except for when it gets stuck in 4th gear in cruise control. I'll slide it over to S and it'll just stay in fourth.

I'll play around with it some more and have to dealer check it out when I see them at my five thousand Mile check up

RPS99SHO 08-27-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper238 (Post 3345880)
That's what's so weird. I can manually shift all the time except for when it gets stuck in 4th gear in cruise control. I'll slide it over to S and it'll just stay in fourth.

I'll play around with it some more and have to dealer check it out when I see them at my five thousand Mile check up

There is nothing wrong with it. It's not a manual mode in the way you think it is. It is a gear-limiter. Nothing more. When you see s4, it is locking out 5th. When you bump it back to s3, it will lock out 4th and 5th (assuming you aren't going too fast). So sure, if you're going in-town speeds, moving the shifter back and forth, it will feel like a manual mode. But on the highway, when you are in D and cruise control is active, and the trans is in 4th due to load and speed, there is nothing you can do to get it to upshift to 5th with S mode. If you want it to upshift, you'll need to turn off cruise and slow down (or otherwise remove load from the engine).

jhguth 08-27-2019 03:05 PM

uh, i s-shift into 5th daily

CavPro 08-27-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhguth (Post 3345916)
uh, i s-shift into 5th daily

We get it, he is saying it won't manually shift to 5 when he is in cruise control.

Ripper238 08-29-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPS99SHO (Post 3345892)
There is nothing wrong with it. It's not a manual mode in the way you think it is. It is a gear-limiter. Nothing more. When you see s4, it is locking out 5th. When you bump it back to s3, it will lock out 4th and 5th (assuming you aren't going too fast). So sure, if you're going in-town speeds, moving the shifter back and forth, it will feel like a manual mode. But on the highway, when you are in D and cruise control is active, and the trans is in 4th due to load and speed, there is nothing you can do to get it to upshift to 5th with S mode. If you want it to upshift, you'll need to turn off cruise and slow down (or otherwise remove load from the engine).

Okay, if that's the way it is i can accept that. Its dumb, but its just the way it is. Thanks for the clear explanation.

My Mazda would shift into any higher gear i chose no matter the speed since up shifting is never an issue. Guess Toyota does not see it that way.

cbreze 08-29-2019 04:48 PM

I'm always in S mode around town. I see no need to shift thru all 5 gears when not going above 45. Not having that top end gear available gives me much better pedal acceleration when downshifting , braking and control on surface streets.

Ripper238 08-29-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbreze (Post 3347208)
I'm always in S mode around town. I see no need to shift thru all 5 gears when not going above 45. Not having that top end gear available gives me much better pedal acceleration when downshifting , braking and control on surface streets.

But you will also have a loss of MPG. Not that it matters on an 4R. lol

Thrasher_S 08-29-2019 06:49 PM

My understanding is shifting to "S" lets you pick the HIGHEST gear available, so the default is 4th. If you slow down the transmission will still shift to 3, 2, 1, unless you pick a lower gear.

So, putting it manually in "1" only lets you use first gear, "2" is first and second, and so on.

I feel like it also changes shift points. The lower the number, the higher the revs before it shifts. Anybody else feel this?