Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   VSC and Steering Wheel/! Lights on After Spiral Cable/Clock Spring Replacement-HELP! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/277028-vsc-steering-wheel-lights-after-spiral-cable-clock-spring-replacement-help.html)

5point9limited 08-31-2019 02:40 PM

VSC and Steering Wheel/! Lights on After Spiral Cable/Clock Spring Replacement-HELP!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,
I have a 2011 SR5-Premium. The horn wasn't working, so upon dignosis, I replaced the clock spring/spiral cable with an EBay replacement for $35 vs. $500 OEM. I know the risks involved.

After I reinstalled everything, I noticed that the VSC "Skid/Swerve" light and steering wheel light with an exclamation mark were on. I tried to reset the code using the Zero Calibration method by jumping the OBD connectors to no avail.

From there, I disassembled the the steering wheel once again and boom, there it was, a small wire harness on the bottom of the CS assembly that i failed to reconnect. I reassembled everything and the lights disappeared!

Until a mile down the road. They both came back on, steadily lit. I drove the truck 30 miles with no issues.

I read on these forums that the lights are not easily cleared and usually have to be done at the dealer.

To avoid that trip, what should I do?

My Questions are:

Which code readers are capable of reading/resetting these lights?

Will TechStream be able to read and reset it? I have a Sequoia as well, and would love to use that software on it.

Do you have ANY input for me!

Here is a link to a video of what happens during Zero Calibration:

YouTube

Deep_palancar 08-31-2019 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You must clear the old data prior to performing the calibration.

The procedure document is attached. Read through the steps several times and plan ahead; note that the final step requires driving straight at 25mph for 10 seconds.

Get yourself a mini VCI and a copy of techstream even if this event is cured with
the jumper method, it's a must have item if you are going to own and work on Toyotas.

Kamalani Mahie 09-01-2019 02:09 AM

You can always try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnecting it. That might work if the cable isn't broken.

5point9limited 09-01-2019 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Red (Post 3348156)
Did you center the spiral cable before attaching the steering wheel on the column?

The spiral cable has 5 full turns before the internal cable gets tight. You most likely broke the cable inside and need a new spiral cable. When you install it, turn it one direction until you feel very slight resistance. Don’t turn it any more that direction. Turn the opposite way 2-2.5 turns so that the spot with the connectors is at the 12:00 position. Then install the steering wheel.

If you reach the end of the cable limit or are close to it when you install the steering wheel, and then rotate the wheel further when making a turn, the cable breaks, and the VSC and steering indicator light comes on and stays on.

Hope this helps.

First, thank you for taking the time to help. The spiral cable came with a tab that needed to be broken off before the install of the steering wheel. I imagine that was what kept it in place. Otherwise, no, I did not wind it up. Here is what it looks like. notice the orange tab.

5point9limited 09-01-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep_palancar (Post 3348207)
You must clear the old data prior to performing the calibration.

The procedure document is attached. Read through the steps several times and plan ahead; note that the final step requires driving straight at 25mph for 10 seconds.

Get yourself a mini VCI and a copy of techstream even if this event is cured with
the jumper method, it's a must have item if you are going to own and work on Toyotas.

I am printing these directions right now. I have read before that the codes MUST be cleared. I was searching for these directions! I really appreciate it! I will report back. Thank you, again.

And yes, I need the TechStream!

5point9limited 09-01-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamalani Mahie (Post 3348373)
You can always try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnecting it. That might work if the cable isn't broken.

I actually let it sit overnight... Thank you, though.

Kamalani Mahie 09-02-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5point9limited (Post 3348432)
I actually let it sit overnight... Thank you, though.

No problem. Get it fixed?

5point9limited 09-02-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamalani Mahie (Post 3348763)
No problem. Get it fixed?

Not yet. I just got the TechStream items in the mail.

Kamalani Mahie 09-03-2019 12:49 AM

Dang well good luck man

5point9limited 09-07-2019 08:40 PM

So, I am "unsuccessful" in trying this reset. I used the Techstream program. I followed the directions the best I could, other than the fact that I was unable to drive for 25mph for 10 seconds.

However, the VSC light never flashed upon the reset process. Only the ABS light did. When I jumped the terminals with a paperclip, the light DID flash.

Also, using techstream, it states that I need to select the "Skid Control ECU" to clear the Zero Point Calibration. I cannot find that menu. I feel like that may be the missing link.

Any input is appreciated. I will be trying again in the coming days. This is frustrating!

Deep_palancar 09-08-2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5point9limited (Post 3351827)
So, I am "unsuccessful" in trying this reset. I used the Techstream program. I followed the directions the best I could, other than the fact that I was unable to drive for 25mph for 10 seconds.

However, the VSC light never flashed upon the reset process. Only the ABS light did. When I jumped the terminals with a paperclip, the light DID flash.

Also, using techstream, it states that I need to select the "Skid Control ECU" to clear the Zero Point Calibration. I cannot find that menu. I feel like that may be the missing link.

Any input is appreciated. I will be trying again in the coming days. This is frustrating!

You MUST clear the old data:

(7) Enter the following menus: Chassis / ABS/VSC/TRAC / Utility / Reset Memory.

(8) Select the skid control ECU to clear the zero point calibration data using the Techstream.

(9) Turn the ignition switch off.

Wazioc 04-26-2020 07:06 PM

This is killing me... I cannot figure out how to get these lights to turn off after replacing the spiral cable on my 2011 Trail Edition.

I've followed the instructions step by step and keep hitting endless loops where it says if the slip indicator light is not blinking, do it again... I gave up after repeating it 3 times in a row with no change. I also tried to push through the full document regardless and still exactly the same as when I started.

After I replaced this part the first time I took it to my local shop, they said they were getting an error that made it look like it was a hardware connection issue. Got and installed a whole new spiral cable and wanted to get more info so I bought a cable and got a copy of techstream.... Now I've wasted hundreds of dollars and tons of time and I'm still right where I started.

Anyone have any additional help or guidance to figure out how I can fix this? My vehicle inspection is now expired and I can't get it renewed until I fix the lights.

sunapeelakers 07-04-2020 09:10 PM

You ever get this fixed?

petron5000 11-14-2020 05:34 PM

I have the same issue. My tech stream won’t clear the errors. Any luck taking it to a dealer to get cleared?

petron5000 01-11-2021 01:20 PM

Took it to the dealer. They won't clear the codes.

Want to sell me a new Clock Spring for $1300.