Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Quick Roof Rail Question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/277036-quick-roof-rail-question.html)

DAWG NATION 08-31-2019 05:48 PM

Quick Roof Rail Question

3 Attachment(s)
Afternoon

I want to attach a pair of cross bars to my roof.
I have read some of the build threads but im not sure about something.
I have 2 rubber strips mounted on my roof, not sure what they're there for and if i could take them off and attach side rails?

I don't really feel comfortable drilling into the roof so i was hoping there is another option...

Thanks

Kanoe 08-31-2019 06:18 PM

Those are the factory caps. You got those if you didn't get the roof rack option.

The roof of the 4runner is exactly the same either way. You have 5 torx bolts in each cap and those are the same bolts that hold the factory roof rack rails on. Your best bet for mounting stuff is to get to a wreckers and pull a set of factory roof racks. They'll fit right on to yours once you take the caps off.

I believe the factory rail system is still available new and I don't think it was too horribly priced if you want to go that route.

DAWG NATION 08-31-2019 07:11 PM

Thanks Kanoe
That was very helpful....

danwyl 09-01-2019 03:19 PM

I was just in the same boat as you; no roof rails, just the rubber caps. Picked some up from a guy off craigslist for 40$ and installed them. You will need a torx 25 head (at least for my 2002) to remove them. I put a little bit of silicone while installing the bolts to make sure no water gets in.

DAWG NATION 09-02-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwyl (Post 3348549)
Picked some up from a guy off craigslist for 40$ and installed them.

WOW $40...
Cheapest I've seen is $110, I'm still looking...

Tacomabob 09-02-2019 10:47 AM

$40.00 is cheap for a set of roof rails, you did good.

DAWG NATION 09-06-2019 08:22 AM

Update

Update:
I couldn't find new roof rack but I found a guy selling 2001 T4R for parts...
We settled on $80 for the rack which seems reasonable.
Someone mentioned a Torch 25 driver to take off the rack...

Just making sure what other tools I should take with me?

Thanks

apohl17 09-06-2019 08:26 AM

Don't forget to have a small screwdriver or tool for prying the end caps off the rails to get to the screws. They are normally pretty tightly wedged on! If you are missing any parts I have an OEM rack system leftover from my build, just let me know.

DAWG NATION 09-06-2019 10:03 AM

Thanks apohl17

Thanks for the info... I hope I get it off in one piece... LOL.
When you said "OEM rack system" is that the complete rack or you only have some parts left...

PS. Saw your Iceberg build, very insightful, that's where I would like to be, one step at a time...

Cheers

Brian. 09-06-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAWG NATION (Post 3351055)
Thanks for the info... I hope I get it off in one piece... LOL.

Err, that seems like a more complicated way to handle it. I disassembled mine when I first bought my truck so I could clean the roof easier. It comes apart and goes together easily enough. Would sure make installing it on your rig a Whole lot easier just having to deal with 1 piece at a time rather than a wobbly mess of loose, but connected, pieces. But that's just IMHO. Oh, it'll be loose (well, I guess you could re-tighten) because most of the screws you need to remove are Under the ends that hold the various cross-bars in place.

Baughb 10-05-2019 02:13 PM

Late to the game. Looking for crossbars myself but saw a whole rack on Ebay for $150. 10-04-2019 Hope it works well for someone.

1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner OEM Roof Rack Complete W/ Hardware Cargo Luggage | eBay

XtremeAdventurer 10-05-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baughb (Post 3367115)
Late to the game. Looking for crossbars myself but saw a whole rack on Ebay for $150. 10-04-2019 Hope it works well for someone.

1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner OEM Roof Rack Complete W/ Hardware Cargo Luggage | eBay

Wow! For that price, I might start a side business of going to the pick-n-pull. $2 to get in and $15 for the rack.
My rig didn't have crossbars when I bought it, so I went the pick-n-pull route. Now, I'm building a rack, so will have spare crossbars in the future.
Here, I'll start my business... $50 for the crossbars!
Just kidding, still need them for a bit.

Baughb 10-26-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeAdventurer (Post 3367286)
Wow! For that price, I might start a side business of going to the pick-n-pull. $2 to get in and $15 for the rack.
My rig didn't have crossbars when I bought it, so I went the pick-n-pull route. Now, I'm building a rack, so will have spare crossbars in the future.
Here, I'll start my business... $50 for the crossbars!
Just kidding, still need them for a bit.

Here in Southern California to pick-a-parts are very well picked. I have not had much luck with them in the past

liljoedafishho 10-27-2019 10:37 PM

same here-$2entry $25 rack I now have a double crossbar and 5 strap on my rig-beefed up look !