Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Winter tires for my 2019 4 runner limited? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/277394-winter-tires-my-2019-4-runner-limited.html)

4runnerinbc 09-10-2019 01:13 PM

Winter tires for my 2019 4 runner limited?

Decided I will need better tires for the winter
I initially thought the factory ones would be ok for a year or 2
Now I do not think so

The factory size is 245-/60R

Kal tire, a popular franchise here in canada, does not even list a winter or a four season tire in that size

Do not need off road or mud tires

What to do?

WEAK_E90 09-10-2019 01:19 PM

Ive never searched for limited tires - there isnt much appealing out there

My person recommendation. Buy new cheap wheels and run a more common size all terrain like K02 etc.

El Dusty 09-10-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runnerinbc (Post 3353264)
Decided I will need better tires for the winter
I initially thought the factory ones would be ok for a year or 2
Now I do not think so

The factory size is 245-/60R

Kal tire, a popular franchise here in canada, does not even list a winter or a four season tire in that size

Do not need off road or mud tires

What to do?

I ran winters for the last two seasons. My recommendation is buying a cheap set of 17" wheels, another set of pressure sensors and get 265/70/17s in any winter tire you can. I had great luck with Winterforce 2 UVs.

Note that every season you will have to switch tires onto your wheels if you only have one set or wheels / tpms. If you have two sets you just take them in and have the pressure sensors synced up each year.

mteolus 09-10-2019 01:26 PM

If you do not plan on swapping out those tires during the summer months, get a regular tire with a snowflake rating. I'd probably keep the factor ones until they wear out unless you will be driving up the Whistler alot or other mountain roads.

4runnerinbc 09-10-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mteolus (Post 3353276)
If you do not plan on swapping out those tires during the summer months, get a regular tire with a snowflake rating. I'd probably keep the factor ones until they wear out unless you will be driving up the Whistler alot or other mountain roads.

Thanks for the answer.

But as I only drive 8000 to 10000 miles per year just too long to wait.

I have not yet found a 4 season snow flake rated tire.
Will need to keep looking...

mteolus 09-10-2019 03:24 PM

What you need is a tire with 3PMSF rating. It is not a true winter tire, but it is better than a regular all terrain tire.

Here is an example.

There is a link describing what 3PMSF is in the tire description but you can also click here.

The Duratrac's also have the advantage of a strong sidewall which will provide protection against sidewall intrusions that you may encounter on some 4x4 roads or even rough 4x2 roads.

JPL 09-19-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runnerinbc (Post 3353340)

I have not yet found a 4 season snow flake rated tire.
Will need to keep looking...

WRG4 SUV 245/60R18 T430924 Nokian | Linder Tire Service Inc. | Quality Tire Sales and Auto Repair for Iowa City, North Liberty and Grinnell, Iowa

Agent_Outside 09-19-2019 09:00 AM

“All Weather” tires are significantly better than all terrain or all season tires for winter, but a dedicated winter tire (Hakkapellittas or Bliazzaks) are your best bet.

MossJenks 09-19-2019 09:07 AM

245/60r20, right? That's a trip....Tire Rack only lists 11 tires total in that size. And I thought the selection of 14" tires for my classic Alfa Romeo was thin!

Tire Rack does list two snow tires - a Blizzak and a Yokohama:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSea...rDiameter=17#0

Roverguy1 09-19-2019 09:16 AM

While I have an SR5, I'm ordering a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in the next couple weeks and these will be my year-round tires. The factory Bridgestones that came with the truck were absolutely scary on icy roads last spring (I bought the truck used in early April) as we had a couple of late winter snow blasts. I've run the Discoverer AT3 tires on my last couple of Land Rovers and found them solid and long-wearing. The 4S have the snow rating and this also gives me an extra insurance discount in Ontario.

JP421 09-19-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dusty (Post 3353274)
I ran winters for the last two seasons. My recommendation is buying a cheap set of 17" wheels, another set of pressure sensors and get 265/70/17s in any winter tire you can. I had great luck with Winterforce 2 UVs.

Note that every season you will have to switch tires onto your wheels if you only have one set or wheels / tpms. If you have two sets you just take them in and have the pressure sensors synced up each year.

This.

For the price of good winter 20's you can get 17'"rims and even better winter tires. I did this for my wife's edge that has 20's.

nb rob 09-19-2019 09:45 AM

There's a blizzak in that size. You might have to try some different widths, or go with a dedicated 17" rim for your winter tires.... that will really open the options up, and you'll be thankful every fall and springtime when its time to swap.

Also, check out PMC tire. Best prices in Canada that I've found. I got free shipping, and they arrived in 2 days. And I live in the whillywhacks.

Find cheap tires online, all the best brands on sale! - PMCtire Canada

CO-Cygnus 09-19-2019 09:53 AM

275/55/R20 will fit the limited wheels and opens up more options for you like Nokian Hakka 9s and R3s.

Toffees 09-19-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nb rob (Post 3358256)
There's a blizzak in that size.

Exactly. I'm not a winter tire person, and I don't know what shops and tires are available in CA, but I've read tons of people who love the Blizzaks. Here they are exactly in that size.

Apparently these are 3PMSF

"The Blizzak DM-V2 radial meets the industry's severe snow service requirements and is branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol. NOTE: The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V2's tread depth features the NanoPro Tech Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound."

Apparently that's good enough for British Columbia:

"What is a Legal Winter Tire in B.C.?

A legal winter tire (on a standard passenger vehicle or a four-wheel/all-wheel vehicle) MUST have at least 3.5 mm of tread depth.

A winter tire must be labelled with either of the following:

The letters "M" and "S", the minimum legal requirement (mud + snow/all season tires)
The 3-peaked mountain and snowflake symbol (ome manufacturers label with both the mountain snowflake and the M+S symbol)"

tm965 09-19-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO-Cygnus (Post 3358257)
275/55/R20 will fit the limited wheels and opens up more options for you like Nokian Hakka 9s and R3s.

this