Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   4runner codes p0104 p0456 VSC on/off, VSC Trac, Traction Control and CEL (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/277409-4runner-codes-p0104-p0456-vsc-off-vsc-trac-traction-control-cel.html)

shaxs 09-10-2019 11:16 PM

4runner codes p0104 p0456 VSC on/off, VSC Trac, Traction Control and CEL

I just sold my 4Runner to my brother in law that was running great. Of course, just after he got it the VSC on/off, VSC Trac, Traction Control lights came on. No CEL and no codes. We replaced the gas cap with a new OEM one.

Now about 2 weeks later the CEL has come on and it has codes:

p0104 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Intermittent

p0456 System Small Leak – Evaporative Emission System

I am not sure what else to do here. ANy suggestions?

schwein 09-11-2019 01:41 PM

Do a search, but its likely that he needs a new gas cap. Go to the dealer and buy a brand new 24 dollar cap, install it, clear the codes and see if that fixes the issue. could be something else but more often than not the p0456 code is the cap or more specifically the o-ring inside the cap that's gone bad.

shaxs 09-11-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwein (Post 3353850)
Do a search, but its likely that he needs a new gas cap. Go to the dealer and buy a brand new 24 dollar cap, install it, clear the codes and see if that fixes the issue. could be something else but more often than not the p0456 code is the cap or more specifically the o-ring inside the cap that's gone bad.

Yeah, I stated above I replaced the gas camp with an OEM one and then 2 weeks later the CEL light came on. Before that there was no codes or CEL, jut the VSC on/off, VSC Trac, Traction control lights.

Now more are there after replacing the gas cap and trying to clear the lights.

Trumpet 09-12-2019 07:14 AM

Sounds dumb but.... Is he screwing the cap down so that it clicks a few times?

If not that'll be the cause.

Trent 09-12-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaxs (Post 3353593)
I just sold my 4Runner to my brother in law that was running great. Of course, just after he got it the VSC on/off, VSC Trac, Traction Control lights came on. No CEL and no codes. We replaced the gas cap with a new OEM one.

Now about 2 weeks later the CEL has come on and it has codes:

p0104 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Intermittent

p0456 System Small Leak – Evaporative Emission System

I am not sure what else to do here. ANy suggestions?

“MAF circuit intermittent” - check the connection, unplug and reseat it at the MAF electrical plug (with engine off). Clear code and see. Also, be sure to continue to follow up with brother-in-law about this and other issues as you know there is an implied life time warranty. Haha. Sorry I couldn’t resist.

shaxs 09-16-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent (Post 3354312)
Also, be sure to continue to follow up with brother-in-law about this and other issues as you know there is an implied life time warranty. Haha. Sorry I couldn’t resist.

HAHAH. So true :(

shaxs 09-16-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent (Post 3354312)
“MAF circuit intermittent” - check the connection, unplug and reseat it at the MAF electrical plug (with engine off). Clear code and see. Also, be sure to continue to follow up with brother-in-law about this and other issues as you know there is an implied life time warranty. Haha. Sorry I couldn’t resist.

I am going to try cleaning the MAF as well