Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Front end Collision (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/277477-front-end-collision.html)

CanuckinTX 09-12-2019 03:10 PM

Front end Collision

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I got into an accident last week and am now working through the insurance process. My insurance company required all estimates to go to service king first. The estimate there was 1,080. But when I took it to the shop I would actually go through they think closer to 2.5K or 3K. I would like to get a Demello front bumper but since service king quoted so low I can’t just take that money and pay for the Demello and be done as there is also other damage to the 4Runner behind the bumper. But if I get it fixed oem then the shop can just request more money from insurance. So what have y’all done when in this situation or have any of you dealt with a similar issue?

AuSeeker 09-12-2019 06:22 PM

I don't really have any info to help you...BUT...it appears your 4Runner ended up being upside down so the damage has to be more than $1080..:becky:..sorry I just couldn't resist!!LOL

Bluesky 07 09-12-2019 10:36 PM

Can’t offer advice on your truck but I can share my experience with a significant insurance claim. Check your policy and don’t go to “their” shop unless you’re expressly required to. What I realized, after getting my car back looking like a shop class field trip group had been brought in to fix it, is that in that scenario, you’re not the repair facility’s customer, your insurance company is. That gives you zero leverage. Don’t fall for “guaranteed” repairs either; that got old the second time - of four total - that I had to take time off work to get a cheap-s*** aftermarket headlight replaced.

This was at another body shop I finally went to, and props to the manager. He finally told me he was installing a factory headlight and eating the difference because I’d be coming back every few months indefinitely if he used the part the insurance company would pay for. This wasn’t Joe Bob’s Cutrate Insurance, either, it was USAA. I choke every time I see one of their commercials about how well they take care of customers.

CanuckinTX 09-12-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesky 07 (Post 3354937)
Can’t offer advice on your truck but I can share my experience with a significant insurance claim. Check your policy and don’t go to “their” shop unless you’re expressly required to. What I realized, after getting my car back looking like a shop class field trip group had been brought in to fix it, is that in that scenario, you’re not the repair facility’s customer, your insurance company is. That gives you zero leverage. Don’t fall for “guaranteed” repairs either; that got old the second time - of four total - that I had to take time off work to get a cheap-s*** aftermarket headlight replaced.

This was at another body shop I finally went to, and props to the manager. He finally told me he was installing a factory headlight and eating the difference because I’d be coming back every few months indefinitely if he used the part the insurance company would pay for. This wasn’t Joe Bob’s Cutrate Insurance, either, it was USAA. I choke every time I see one of their commercials about how well they take care of customers.

Well Joy we have USAA to. I am going to take it to a local shop that I am good friends with the manager and one of the techs they are good and they are working on a true quote for it now.

CanuckinTX 09-12-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckinTX (Post 3354621)
Hey guys, I got into an accident last week and am now working through the insurance process. My insurance company required all estimates to go to service king first. The estimate there was 1,080. But when I took it to the shop I would actually go through they think closer to 2.5K or 3K. I would like to get a Demello front bumper but since service king quoted so low I can’t just take that money and pay for the Demello and be done as there is also other damage to the 4Runner behind the bumper. But if I get it fixed oem then the shop can just request more money from insurance. So what have y’all done when in this situation or have any of you dealt with a similar issue?

I was wondering how long until someone said that 😂

Bluesky 07 09-12-2019 10:58 PM

Yes, I also had hidden damage that wasn’t fixed & left me stranded. Their appraiser told the place where I had it towed that I had obviously run my car up on a curb and was trying to falsely blame it on the accident. What the jackass obviously missed were the scene pics I had sent them after the wreck showing that getting t-boned had knocked my car up onto a high curb.

I had the repair done and had the dealer save the damaged part. I had free travel as an airline employee then, so I called the adjuster, explained the situation, and told him I was flying from Atlanta to his office in Tampa so he could have the part on his desk to compare the damage with the scene pics. Not in any threatening way, just hey, I want you to see the proof that I’m not a liar. Still, it would have been epic since it was the crosspiece under the radiator. He said a visit wouldn’t be necessary and that they would cut a check that day, and they did.

That was 2002 and I haven’t spent a penny with USAA since.