Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Torque Converter or Transmission issue? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/277614-torque-converter-transmission-issue.html)

theCROM 09-16-2019 01:33 PM

Torque Converter or Transmission issue?

I took my 4runner in today to get the 60k works and also to have them check an issue I've been having. Around 40mph+ i feel a little wobble in the accelerator like its hesitating. Asked them to check it out and after an hour of diagnostics they say its either the Torque Converter or a Transmission issue one or both would have to be replaced. Does this sound reasonable? Im already planning on taking it to a local mechanic to have them check it out to see if they can determine anything as well. Seems like for a vehicle I've only have 1.5 years to already be having transmission problems is kind of a big deal.

samwhich 09-16-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCROM (Post 3356552)
I took my 4runner in today to get the 60k works and also to have them check an issue I've been having. Around 40mph+ i feel a little wobble in the accelerator like its hesitating. Asked them to check it out and after an hour of diagnostics they say its either the Torque Converter or a Transmission issue one or both would have to be replaced. Does this sound reasonable? Im already planning on taking it to a local mechanic to have them check it out to see if they can determine anything as well. Seems like for a vehicle I've only have 1.5 years to already be having transmission problems is kind of a big deal.

60k you're still within powertrain warranty, see what the dealership says and have them fix it.

badattitude 09-16-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

What model year is it? Do you have the option to go to another dealer and get their opinion?

Is is weird to have a transmission issue at 60K

theCROM 09-16-2019 02:11 PM

I wish! I'm actually at 70k miles. I did a regular oil change at 60k cause we were in the middle of moving across country and just didnt have time to go in for the full service. That would have saved me so many headaches cause I've been feeling it for the last 10k miles atleast.

theCROM 09-16-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badattitude (Post 3356585)
What model year is it? Do you have the option to go to another dealer and get their opinion?

Is is weird to have a transmission issue at 60K

Its a 2016. We bought it mid 2017 though cause the dealership was trying to get rid of it so got a decent deal on it. Yea I might try another dealership and a few work folks recommended a local mechanic shop as well that apparently does pretty solid work.

Jivewalker 09-16-2019 02:27 PM

Mine does that around 40mph with a light foot on the pedal. Been doing it since new. Dealer told me it was normal, just hunting at the in between gear stage.

theCROM 09-16-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivewalker (Post 3356593)
Mine does that around 40mph with a light foot on the pedal. Been doing it since new. Dealer told me it was normal, just hunting at the in between gear stage.

Yea I'm going to get a second mechanic to look at it. If they say the same thing I'll probably just ignore it since its a very slight stutter. If it gets worse I'll bring it back for work.

progress4m 09-16-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

I have seen threads regarding this, here one of latest:

'18 SR5 with intermittent driveline shudder

To clarify by “this” I am referring to “wobble” exactly as you described it… some people call it “shudder” or “rumble strip” (which in most cases does mean TC replacement or tranny rebuild- I think it was occurring in 4th gen a lot more than 5th gen), but I believe what you describing is not “rumble strip”… maybe “wobble” eventually turns in to “rumble strip”, however I have not seeing anyone confirming that and I hope that is not the case as I also can occasionally feel what you describe … it is very very minor and I have to “work” on the speed and throttle to make it happen…

What I have noticed with mine, if I shift to “S” mode and then up-shift into 5th gear then “wobble” disappears completely and I cannot make it happen again in “S” mode regardless I am in 4th or 5th gear… so it leads me to believe that it could be “Flex Lock-up” behavior in “D” mode and hopefully nothing wrong mechanically…

JAXJeremy 09-16-2019 03:10 PM

The thread above is one I started to document the problem I've been having.My 4R has less than 10K and I only really started noticing it within the last 3 or 4 months. Light acceleration 40 - 45 MPH feels like a shudder that you can feel in the seat. Curious what diagnostics they did to determine it was the TC or tranny.

progress4m 09-16-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAXJeremy (Post 3356620)
The thread above is one I started to document the problem I've been having.My 4R has less than 10K and I only really started noticing it within the last 3 or 4 months. Light acceleration 40 - 45 MPH feels like a shudder that you can feel in the seat. Curious what diagnostics they did to determine it was the TC or tranny.

I am not sure… I also have seeing reports when TQ (tranny) was replaced (by the dealer) and this issue have reappeared soon after…. Can you try to switch into “S” mode, then up-shift to 5th gear and see if you still have that shudder?

Jivewalker 09-16-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAXJeremy (Post 3356620)

Hey man, for shits and giggles, try disconnecting your battery for a couple of hours and then drive and see if it go's away. I swear every time I do work where I have the battery disconnected long enough mine gos away, but then comes back over time. I was starting to think it was something in learned driving habits and gear hunting based on my light foot driving style at 40-45mph. I gave up on it since I have so many miles on it now and it never caused me any issues, but it does do it, I don't call it a wobble but a hesitation / hunting, like it can't catch the gear.

theCROM 09-16-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progress4m (Post 3356624)
I am not sure… I also have seeing reports when TQ (tranny) was replaced (by the dealer) and this issue have reappeared soon after…. Can you try to switch into “S” mode, then up-shift to 5th gear and see if you still have that shudder?

I'll have to test this myself this evening when I pick it up after work. The fact that they wanted to charge me almost $300 for brake pads makes me feel a little skeptical of the dealership.

Jivewalker 09-16-2019 03:27 PM

One other thing, I had a gummed up OCV that caused the same, but more pronounced, hesitations at around 40mph. It eventually caused a code and that's how I figured out it was the OCV. Cleaned the OCV filter screen and OCV and it's been 40k miles since with no issues. Just another thought.

theCROM 09-16-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

I'll have to test this myself this evening when I pick it up after work. The fact that they wanted to charge me almost $300 for brake pads makes me feel a little skeptical of the dealership.

JAXJeremy 09-16-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

I've tried "S" mode no real change. The worst part about it is the intermittent nature of the shudder.