Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Common Broken Parts During Trips (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/277764-common-broken-parts-during-trips.html)

MrSeth 09-20-2019 06:44 AM

Common Broken Parts During Trips

Hey all!

I have an up coming trip to Moab, UT in October- being far away from home, what are some spare parts y'all recommend I bring?

I have:
1. 2x spare rear shocks with hardware
2. 2x cardan/universal joints
3. Air filter
4. Fuses
5. Complete tool kit
6. Spare tire

What else should I bring? I plan on greasing everything before I go, and possibly doing the dual electric rad fan upgrade.

TIA!!

Seth

That_Titanium_4RNR 09-20-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSeth (Post 3358827)
Hey all!

I have an up coming trip to Moab, UT in October- being far away from home, what are some spare parts y'all recommend I bring?

I have:
1. 2x spare rear shocks with hardware
2. 2x cardan/universal joints
3. Air filter
4. Fuses
5. Complete tool kit
6. Spare tire

What else should I bring? I plan on greasing everything before I go, and possibly doing the dual electric rad fan upgrade.

TIA!!

Seth

I would definitely bring a spare CV shaft, fan belt, radiator hoses, radiator hose clamps. Also probably a good idea to replace all of the above (except CV shafts) before you go and do spark plugs.

Inv4drZm 09-20-2019 10:42 AM

I don't like replacing or greasing anything just before a trip, to me it just increases the chances of something going wrong. For example overgreasing bushings can shred them pretty quickly, I've seen where someone greased UCA bushings before a trip and they died partway through. My theory is if its lasted daily driving the odds are good it'll survive one trip. Do it afterward or like a month before.

Might want to bring a spare tie rod.
Maybe a tire patch kit.

Crikeymike 09-20-2019 12:41 PM

Spare fluids!!

Definitely a tire repair kit and an air compressor. Even if it's a slow/cheap air compressor, it's better than nothing.

Pull out your spare and make sure it's in good shape in case it needs to be run.

Are you expecting to break/damage the rear shocks? I'd do a full suspension travel test to make sure nothing on them binds up and make sure the top bushings are properly installed.

If your UCA's have been touched recently, make sure that the nuts are properly torqued. I've seen a few people this past year had that nut back off, with no spare. It sucked for them to get it back together and home again.

Bumbo 09-20-2019 01:48 PM

Just some other applicable ideas…

A digital multimeter and basic electrical tools and consumables like a crimper, butt connectors, replacement fuses, bulbs.

Air compressor, tire patch kit, green slime, replacement valve stems, spare wheels studs, torque wrench.

Tow strap of various lengths , D rings, basic recovery gear gloves, safety vest, safety glasses.

Break fluid, coolant, quart or two of oil.

First aid, medication, thermometer, radio, GPS, satellite communicator.

duffdog 09-20-2019 07:10 PM

tie rods, inner and outer...

MrSeth 09-20-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumbo (Post 3359009)
Just some other applicable ideas…

A digital multimeter and basic electrical tools and consumables like a crimper, butt connectors, replacement fuses, bulbs.

Air compressor, tire patch kit, green slime, replacement valve stems, spare wheels studs, torque wrench.

Tow strap of various lengths , D rings, basic recovery gear gloves, safety vest, safety glasses.

Break fluid, coolant, quart or two of oil.

First aid, medication, thermometer, radio, GPS, satellite communicator.

Thanks! Ive got a multimeter, E-tools, fuses, bulbs, an air compressor,torque wrench, lugs, d rings, gloves, a vest, brake fluid, coolant, and 3 quarts.

My first aid kit needs to be gone through, ive got a radio, GPS, and have been looking into a PLB incase my diabeetus goes awry.

Im glad you mentioned the above items- even though I have them, I might not have packed them!!!

MrSeth 09-20-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3358897)
I don't like replacing or greasing anything just before a trip, to me it just increases the chances of something going wrong. For example overgreasing bushings can shred them pretty quickly, I've seen where someone greased UCA bushings before a trip and they died partway through. My theory is if its lasted daily driving the odds are good it'll survive one trip. Do it afterward or like a month before.

Might want to bring a spare tie rod.
Maybe a tire patch kit.

I usually do a light greasing of the driveshaft and UCA's, but they have been great for quite some time now, maybe I wont touch them.

I am looking into tie rod ends, I wonder if I should just replace them pre-trip and then keep the old ones as spares?

I've run longer trips that have been more technical and hard on parts, I just don't want to break down and hold up the group at Moab- maybe Im just overthinking all of this?

Bumbo 09-20-2019 09:42 PM

Lots of PLB options these days... while I know the push and pray units are good, the Garmin inReach units are fantastic because its a 2-Way communication.

In addition to the SOS feature many of them can connect via Bluetooth to your phone, so you can use the Garmin app to text, using the inReach unit as a satellite modem for messaging.

I'm a big ham radio guy and id give up my radio before giving up my inReach for emergency use.

2003-4x4runner 09-21-2019 02:07 PM

If you kept up on the maintenance on your truck, then you dont need much. But for sure take a Tire Repair kit and extra fluids.

I just did a 1500 miles round trip to DV on my 4Runner with 240k miles on the clock and I only took extra fluids and tire repair kit.

BackOff 09-21-2019 02:50 PM

Why rear shocks?
You can still get by with a busted shock...for a little while.
Tools and a radio and first-aid kit.

Not like you are gonna be out in the middle of No-where...lots of help on the trail.

Can prepare for every situation and then that one thing happens you didn't think of...BAM!

You can also over prepare and just weigh down the whole adventure with TO MUCH CRAP.

Have fun.
Drive within your comfort level, don't let others force you into any situation you are uncomfortable with. Not everone is some kind of off-road King/Queen.

Inv4drZm 09-21-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackOff (Post 3359509)
Why rear shocks?
You can still get by with a busted shock...for a little while.
Tools and a radio and first-aid kit.

Not like you are gonna be out in the middle of No-where...lots of help on the trail.

Can prepare for every situation and then that one thing happens you didn't think of...BAM!

You can also over prepare and just weigh down the whole adventure with TO MUCH CRAP.

Have fun.
Drive within your comfort level, don't let others force you into any situation you are uncomfortable with. Not everone is some kind of off-road King/Queen.

Yeah, my experience has been there is always help on the trails. I bring a spare CV, other people have loaned me PS/ATF fluid, we all support eachother.

MrSeth 09-22-2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003-4x4runner (Post 3359497)
If you kept up on the maintenance on your truck, then you dont need much. But for sure take a Tire Repair kit and extra fluids.

I just did a 1500 miles round trip to DV on my 4Runner with 240k miles on the clock and I only took extra fluids and tire repair kit.

Truth, I am meticulous with my maintenance. Ive got the fluids to take, and I just picked up a repair kit! :)

MrSeth 09-22-2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3359517)
Yeah, my experience has been there is always help on the trails. I bring a spare CV, other people have loaned me PS/ATF fluid, we all support eachother.

Good to know, and a confidence booster for sure... Ive got the fluids, I think my main parts ill bring are CV's and cardan joints. Im a little concerned with the level of grip + my center diff lock.

CO_Fletch 09-22-2019 02:45 PM

What trails are on your list? A lot of the trails in Moab are close to town and there are parts stores in town that carry most items you might need, plus several 4x4 shops that can help as well.

When I first started wheeling, I had the same concerns, "what should I bring so I don't get stuck" After wheeling for the past 5 years all over CO, been to Moab several times, etc., I've probably become more complacent. I've been stuck way more times than I've broken down. That's why we buy Toyotas - they don't break :) I wheel a 200k mile 4th gen and my son wheels a 300k mile 3rd gen. Keep them maintained and they just keep working - off road or on road.

I still bring a full tool box but don't bother with CVs and all the other parts that might break or go bad. For example, a broken fan belt or ruptured hose isn't going to happen on the trail anymore than on the road and if maintained, won't be an issue on the trail. If you get a flat tire, that's what the spare is for and it's more likely the side wall or tread will be torn and plugs probably can't repair the tear.

If you do break a CV, you probably will need someone to pull you out to a better spot for repair so recovery gear is just as important as spare parts. I've used recovery gear on the trail, never parts. Having the CV would help if the local store doesn't have it or is closed for the day.

With fluids, if you lose fluids, you are either already leaking and carry fluids and if you don't leak, our rigs don't start to lose fluids going off road unless we hit and break something. In that case, you would probably need to get the part you don't have and then you can get the fluid you need to make the repair at the same time.

As someone else mentioned, probably best to avoid doing a bunch of changes just before you leave if you don't have time to make sure they are working as expected and no issues - those items are the ones more likely to cause issues on trail - something comes lose, doesn't work as expected, etc.

You mention concern about grip and center diff lock - what is the concern? I typically wheel Moab in 4 low and keep center diff locked unless I need to take a tight turn/turn around on slick rock. I know some like to engage and disengage CDL but I've found that when I really need it, it doesn't always lock so then I have to go back and forth and mess with it - it's just easier to stay locked and unlock for the rare tight turn or turn around on slick rock.

Moab is an awesome place - Enjoy!